Ashamed to ask this question

MACKAM

I am an Elite plus member,yet I still quite grasp this free upgrade procedure i.e. If I booked a 2C balcony cabin,could I ask for an upgrade to a 2B cabin

The reason I ask, is that there a number of good deals on the 2Cs at the moment( probably because of obstructed views). Please can someone take pity and explain how it works.

Happy Cruising

I believe all captains club members get a one category upgrade.

So yes if you book at 2C price you should be given a 2B cabin.

Has to be done at booking, be careful though, may not be combined with some other benefits.

Edited by dkjretired

Has to be done at booking, be careful though, may not be combined with some other benefits.

Could you please post details or example of other benefits that could be lost. I would think that the OP would also be interested to know.

I've never heard that (nor have I experienced it) however I guess anything is possible with X.

To the OP, your example is spot on. You can get a 2B at a 2C price or a 2A at a 2B price. You cannot jump from a 2 to a 1, no can you jump from an Oceanview to a Veranda, plus there are some restrictions on other categories.

The scariest thing is that you cannot do this on-line and you always need to remind teh X rep that you qualify. Seems a bit odd if you ask me but...

You are correct. The upgrade is one step in the same major category. In our cases, we been able to get the small step upgrade and still get the Celebrity offered perks like 123 and free gratuities. Last year we were also to get the upgrade and use our stock benefit. For us, the small upgrade has been combinable and I hope we stay lucky. I think the upgrade starts with Veranda cabins, not lower categories. (If I am incorrect - I am sure someone will let me know)

Take a look at various categories as some of the “steps” are greater than others. When we booked our upcoming cruise, some “steps” were worth $50 pp and other were worth $100 pp.

enjoy

M

I've never heard that (nor have I experienced it) however I guess anything is possible with X.

To the OP, your example is spot on. You can get a 2B at a 2C price or a 2A at a 2B price. You cannot jump from a 2 to a 1, no can you jump from an Oceanview to a Veranda, plus there are some restrictions on other categories.

The scariest thing is that you cannot do this on-line and you always need to remind teh X rep that you qualify. Seems a bit odd if you ask me but...

Since it is a Captain's Club benefit, it is separate from the other offers like 123go, etc. The website does say that it must be used when booking but they upgraded me weeks after booking for a recent cruise.

To the OP, your example is spot on. You can get a 2B at a 2C price or a 2A at a 2B price. You cannot jump from a 2 to a 1, nor can you jump from an Oceanview to a Veranda, plus there are some restrictions on other categories.

The scariest thing is that you cannot do this on-line and you always need to remind the X rep that you qualify. Seems a bit odd if you ask me but...

Edited by RickT

You are correct. The upgrade is one step in the same major category. In our cases, we been able to get the small step upgrade and still get the Celebrity offered perks like 123 and free gratuities. Last year we were also to get the upgrade and use our stock benefit. For us, the small upgrade has been combinable and I hope we stay lucky. I think the upgrade starts with Veranda cabins, not lower categories. (If I am incorrect - I am sure someone will let me know)

Take a look at various categories as some of the “steps” are greater than others. When we booked our upcoming cruise, some “steps” were worth $50 pp and other were worth $100 pp.

enjoy

M

Recently booked an OV6 for the price of an OV7 while on board. So it does apply to lower categories. :)

I am an Elite plus member,yet I still quite grasp this free upgrade procedure i.e. If I booked a 2C balcony cabin,could I ask for an upgrade to a 2B cabin

The reason I ask, is that there a number of good deals on the 2Cs at the moment( probably because of obstructed views). Please can someone take pity and explain how it works.

Happy Cruising

This has to be done at the time of original booking only. We booked an A1 cabin on our last two cruises and paid the A2 price, which was about $100pp less than the A1.

It's a Captain's Club and on board booking perk and shouldn't affect any other offers such as the 123go.

We always call Celeb to book b/c they often have info about promos not showing up online.

we got an AQ 1 stateroom for AQ 2 price..

Royal C has had sim booking price perk for Crown and Anchor for quite awhile

as mentioned there are limits on categories..

This has to be done at the time of original booking only. We booked an A1 cabin on our last two cruises and paid the A2 price, which was about $100pp less than the A1.

It's a Captain's Club and on board booking perk and shouldn't affect any other offers such as the 123go.

I believe the upgrade policy for Elite is only between insides and ocean view categories. You can't upgrade from the highest OV cabin to the lowest balcony cabin

The one-category upgrade starts at the inside category and goes up to a certain category. Sounds like it ends with Aqua Class? All upgrades have to be within the same category - insides to insides, oceanviews to oceanviews, verandas to verandas within same category/level, Concierge to Concierge, Aqua to Aqua. I don't think you can upgrade from a 2A to a 1C because that is switching categories - someone please correct me if I am wrong. Also, you cannot upgrade to what Celebrity considers "one-of-a-kind" such as to Sunset verandas.

Captain's Club and Future Cruises both separately told us that we cannot get upgrades to "one-of-a-kind." When booking, we asked if we could get an upgrade from a C2 to a C1 and were told we could not get it as a C1 is considered to be a one-of-a-kind category/cabin. Most of the C1s are Concierge sunset verandas. We were also told that we cannot upgrade a 1A veranda to an SV cabin as any sunset veranda is considered to be one-of-a-kind or "premium"; they are different categories anyway even though both veranda cabins, so no upgrade.

Of course, we do not have to accept the upgrade/reduction; for example, we preferred the more aft Concierge-class C3 cabin over the mid-ship C2 cabin and therefore wouldn't have received the upgrade/reduction. Finally we decided to go with an SV (sunset veranda) cabin with no upgrade/reduction and it will actually cost us a small amount (approx. $1.40) more per day than the C2/C3 veranda because Concierge Class verandas get more onboard credit through some promotions and when booking onboard. We are still a long way off from Zenith level, so the extra Captain's Club points and also the amenities with the Concierge Class category weren't worth as much to us at this point as having the SV cabin (C1 "sv" cabin was $400+ each more), so we booked accordingly without the upgrade/reduction benefit.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Upgrades within same category only

Some additional caveats/comments:

The captain's club upgrade benefit can not be used with travel agent special fares or some other fares (check the fine print on the celebrity site). That means that you can't necessarily book a C2 cabin at the C3 price you see on the celebrity web site because the celebrity web site now shows things like travel agent special prices without telling you. (By the way, you also can't use those prices you see on celebrity's web site for the "lowest price guarantee" because they aren't "standard" prices....but I digress).

You book the cabin you want (eg. C2) and then ask for the captain's club benefit at which time you'll find out what the C3 price is that they'll apply...as I said, it may not be that special price on their web site. I advise anyone who does this type of booking to hang on the phone while the TA or celebrity agent does the booking for you manually....don't try to book it online...however you could HOLD the booking and then call..

Finally, the newest wrinkle (and it's a good one) is that you can book an A1 cabin for the A2 price. In some cases this is a saving of $3-400.

As far as perks, you get the perks that go with the standard rate....not the perks you necessarily see on the web site...again, because those perks are for that possible special fare that doesn't apply when using the captain's club upgrade.

While the program sounds simple, there are lots of ins and outs....best to talk to an agent and work through the options because they really aren't obvious.

Happy Cruising

My TA typically is able to get me all of the "best deals". Perhaps you should deal with a local or credit card company TA.

Mike,

I'm pretty sure with the latest changes in on board booking it is no longer a perk with that. Of course if you are a Captain's Club member and book on board you should be able to get it.

Then again they keep changing things so it's hard to know for sure.

Mike,

I'm pretty sure with the latest changes in on board booking it is no longer a perk with that. Of course if you are a Captain's Club member and book on board you should be able to get it.

Then again they keep changing things so it's hard to know for sure.

I just booked a transatlantic while on board a transatlantic. I'm not sure whether my upgrade from an A2 price to an A1 stateroom was a Captain's Club perk, an Elite perk, or a booking a cruise while on a cruise perk. :confused:

I just booked a transatlantic while on board a transatlantic. I'm not sure whether my upgrade from an A2 price to an A1 stateroom was a Captain's Club perk, an Elite perk, or a booking a cruise while on a cruise perk. :confused:

Did you book the April 27th Equinox TA as you posted on that rollcall thread that you were considering booking while on your recent cruise? I'm asking because I put you on the April 27th rollcall list with "booked?".

Kathy

Did you book the April 27th Equinox TA as you posted on that rollcall thread that you were considering booking while on your recent cruise? I'm asking because I put you on the April 27th rollcall list with "booked?".

Kathy

Thanks for the reminder. We were looking at Equinox very seriously because it was leaving late in the month of April, but decided on Reflection instead. You can go ahead and remove me from the Roll Call.

Thanks for the reminder. We were looking at Equinox very seriously because it was leaving late in the month of April, but decided on Reflection instead. You can go ahead and remove me from the Roll Call.

We just returned from the Reflection TA two weeks ago. It was a wonderful cruise with a great shipboard experience and itinerary - excellent in all ways and now our new favorite ship. It was a tough choice deciding if we wanted to repeat the Reflection TA next year or do the Equinox TA. Because we wanted to do a b2b, we decided to go with the Equinox TA because we have done the Eastern Med that follows the Reflection TA and the Equinox TA and cruise that follows have various ports to which we have not been.

I'll remove you from the Equinox TA rollcall list. You will love the Reflection. Enjoy!

Kathy