Did anyone notice: Wine bottles prices went up by 21 % !

rubens

I've seen this as well with many bottles selling for just $20. The sale was for "in room" consumption however and I'm sure they said a corkage fee would be charged if taken to the MDR.

That is correct....however there is no problem bringing them to your room, pouring a large glass and taking it with you to dinner.

I was just on the Constellation, which was my 20th cruise, but my first Celebrity. We enjoyed the cruise very, very much, and I wouldn't hesitate to take another Celebrity cruise. I did, however, think that prices were unusually high across the board for many mixed drinks, non-alcoholic beverages, and especially wine.

The example that really sticks out in my mind and illustrates this best is coffee. In April, on RCI, a Venti Starbucks Americano or Latte was $3.75. On the Constellation, a much smaller coffee was $5.00. If I recall, canned soda was $3.50 on the Connie!:eek:

During our cruise, I struggled with the extremely limited wine selection available on the Premium package without an upcharge. I'm not cheap, and I don't mind paying a charge to get higher quality, but I also thought that with the Premium package that should be the exception, not the rule...there should have been at least two selections of each varietal included, and in my experience some had none at all.

I don't know the reason for the pricing, but I did think it was out-of-line with what other similar (HAL and Princess) cruiselines are charging. It certainly won't keep me off a Celebrity ship, but for those of us who work within a budget it's definitely something to be aware of!:p

Another huge shock was the Canyon Ranch prices. My mother got a simple wash and blow-dry, and the bill before tip was $70.00!:(

Wholesale wine prices have gone up close to 15% over the past 14-16 months.

The price of fruit per ton has risen between 115% and 200% in the past decade. The price of new French oak barrels has gone up $400-600 over the past five years. Shipping has gone up 20%+ in the past three years.

The cruise line is only keeping up with cost pressures in the wine industry.

Due to significant crop loss in some major viticultural areas due to natural disaster/disease/frost over the past few years along with the exploding popularity of wine, expect prices to continue to rise.

Another huge shock was the Canyon Ranch prices. My mother got a simple wash and blow-dry, and the bill before tip was $70.00!:(

I agree with canyon ranches prices being exorbitant. My men's cut was $25, now $35. But I still get it done...

Note by the way that the Kendall Jackson wine is available directly from KJ at $15 per bottle -

http://www.kj.com/2012-vintners-reserve-chardonnay

Wonder what Celebrity is paying for the $15 retail wine. I found it on another site for $12.79. If you assume that they are probably paying $10 per bottle since I can buy single bottles for $12.79, that means that the markup is almost 400%.

It also means that if I buy the $12.79 bottle, bring it on, and pay the corkage fee, I am still slightly ahead.

One thing about the corkage fee is that it is a fixed fee and not a function of the cost of wine. This means that -

1) If I drink a bottle of $15 wine, it is going to cost me on board nearly $40. If I bring a bottle of $15 wine on board and pay the corkage fee, it is going to cost me $30 so I am only $10 ahead and maybe it is hardly worth doing it unless I am on a long cruise and bring a case; but

2) If I drink a bottle of really good $100 wine, it is going to cost me $400 on board. If I buy it and bring it on board, it is going to cost me only $115 which makes me $285 ahead. I can buy 3 bottles of $100 wine and bring it on board and the total cost to me for the 3 bottles will be $345. I will have 3 bottles of this wine for less than a single bottle bought on board.

You need to do the math when you consider bringing versus buying. Almost nobody does. If you drink good stuff, it is hardly worth the effort of smuggling it on board.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I can buy 3 bottles of $100 wine and bring it on board and the total cost to me for the 3 bottles will be $345. I will have 3 bottles of this wine for less than a single bottle bought on board.

DON

On Celebrity you are only allowed 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin upon embarkation of the cruise. Your 3rd bottle of $100 wine they will confiscate.

Note by the way that the Kendall Jackson wine is available directly from KJ at $15 per bottle -

Wonder what Celebrity is paying for the $15 retail wine. I found it on another site for $12.79. If you assume that they are probably paying $10 per bottle since I can buy single bottles for $12.79, that means that the markup is almost 400%.

It also means that if I buy the $12.79 bottle, bring it on, and pay the corkage fee, I am still slightly ahead.

One thing about the corkage fee is that it is a fixed fee and not a function of the cost of wine. This means that -

1) If I drink a bottle of $15 wine, it is going to cost me on board nearly $40. If I bring a bottle of $15 wine on board and pay the corkage fee, it is going to cost me $30 so I am only $10 ahead and maybe it is hardly worth doing it unless I am on a long cruise and bring a case; but

2) If I drink a bottle of really good $100 wine, it is going to cost me $400 on board. If I buy it and bring it on board, it is going to cost me only $115 which makes me $285 ahead. I can buy 3 bottles of $100 wine and bring it on board and the total cost to me for the 3 bottles will be $345. I will have 3 bottles of this wine for less than a single bottle bought on board.

You need to do the math when you consider bringing versus buying. Almost nobody does. If you drink good stuff, it is hardly worth the effort of smuggling it on board.

DON

They are probably paying about $9 per bottle, although depending on many factors, it could be as low as $6.50 or so. If it's that important to know, I can probably get the actual number.

FYI--It's generally considered quite rude to BYOB a bottle on the wine list. Perhaps bring something from a smaller producer that they aren't likely to carry if you wish to BYOB. While I agree that wine mark ups are often bordering on criminal, I also think it's the host's prerogative to do so.

On Celebrity you are only allowed 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin upon embarkation of the cruise. Your 3rd bottle of $100 wine they will confiscate.

Good reason to cross them off the list. :rolleyes:

I have never cruised celebrity although I will be during 2015. I did not know their wine rules. Even if I bring only 2 bottles of my $100 wine, I am still ahead.

DON

The evening news in Dallas just had a story run about meat prices in the grocery. The biggest jump was for pork at a 40% increase since the first of the year.

With the basic cost to cruise remaning some what stable, ie: not going up an arm and a leg, there had to be an increase somewhere. Next yr it will be the daily rack rate, IMHO.

DON

It is $19 for Canadians lol http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?search=kendall%20jackson%20chardonnay

Anyone know what the current on-board price of a bottle of Domain Chandon California sparkling wine is?

I paid $37 per bottle in November on Reflection, and can get it for around $17 at home at my local grocery store. Is it now $37 + 21%/$7.77 = $44-$45 a bottle on board?

Gifts by Celebrity still sells for $37 a bottle.

Edited by cle-guy

Anyone know what the current on-board price of a bottle of Domain Chandon California sparkling wine is?

I paid $37 per bottle in November on Reflection, and can get it for around $17 at home at my local grocery store. Is it now $37 + 21%/$7.77 = $44-$45 a bottle on board?

DQOTD Can you bring a bottle of wine bought on Gifts by Celebrity to the dining room or Blu?

Hasn't made the hit list in Canada! Can't find it.

Are you trying to confused the 21% increase comment with actual facts?

I suspect since the ship is in Europe it is probably $37 + the 15% tip. Additionally some of the prices on some wines have increased.

Are you trying to confused the 21% increase comment with actual facts?

I suspect since the ship is in Europe it is probably $37 + the 15% tip. Additionally some of the prices on some wines have increased.

That's kind of what I was wondering. Was it an across the board increase, or just a one off example of a 21% increase that may be more related to the red wine shortage the news reported on last year and some stayed the same some increased some and some increased a lot.

Domain Chandon is my only bottle price I can recall and refer to, as I bought 5 bottles for a sail away party in my suite I hosted, so remember it well....then my guests brought theirs as well, and by the time it was over there were 17 dead soldiers.... :-)

just looked at the links the OP posted comparing 2013 to 2014 menus. No bottles of Domain on the new list, but the glass price from 2013 to 2014 went from $9 to $11, just over 21%...curios to know about the bottle even more now, especially since the Gifts by Celebrity price has remained constant...

Actually, found the Cakebread the OP talked about, it too has not changed pricing, still at $66m the 2013 price when bought at Gifts by celebrity and delivered to the cabin.

Better stock up soon folks...! Pre-Order now before they figure that out!

Edited by cle-guy

My take is all cruise lines are upping wine prices. We just returned from HAL, on a TA, purchased a Spain wine on board, cheapest in the MDR, $40 including 15%. That wine is only $6 a bottle at Trader Joe's. We did purchase a couple of bottles in Gilbrater for about 5 euros. I think they are doing so to encourage passengers to buy packages, which locks folks into spending probably more than they would otherwise.

With Celebrity's corking fee, we will take wine to enjoy in our cabin and drink beer otherwise.

We only sail Princess and Celebrity so can only compare those two.

Wine and liquor prices across the board are significantly less on Princess. There used to be one kind of wine (can't remember the name) that both lines had and that was about $15/bottle more on Celebrity. Neither line carries that wine any more.

The only wine I can compare from 2013 to now on Celebrity is the Catena Malbec (which they only sell by the glass). Feb. 2013 it was $8.50, Feb. 2014 it was $9.50 and on the most recent list it was $10.50. :eek: (You figure out the percentage rise for that.)

After our Feb. 2013 cruise we decided to buy a few bottles for the house - surprise! - it was $16.99/bottle. Just checked last week and it's now $14.99/bottle. We usually buy much better wine than this so it's a pleasant inexpensive alternative (at home at least, NOT so much on the ship!)

We buy a decent amount of good wine (WAY better than that Malbec) and I just asked my husband if prices had gone up significantly recently. He said no. 4 or 5 years ago they did.

(And we don't drink the ship's better wines because he says the constant motion on the ship ruins the better older wines. We bring our own for that.)