Did anyone notice: Wine bottles prices went up by 21 % !

rubens

I wouldn't put it past Celebrity, that is a big increase. I would hope maybe it is left over pricing on Solstice from Australia, but it doesn't look that way.

They're very efficient doing pricing transitions going to/from Australia.

You won't get any old prices once the next cruise starts.

Sad to see wine prices increasing, but the cost of everything has gone up this year- our homeowners insurance up 15% this year, cost of steak dinner at a local restaurant up 20%, cost of propane to heat house up 21%, movie theatre increased evening prices from $7.50 to $ 9 & I could go on & on.

Unfortunately it is not just Celebrity, prices are going up significantly on many everyday expenses.

Maybe you should move to a new State / Provence where prices haven't gone anywhere up like that!!! :p

Vote with your feet!!! :D

(sorry devil made me do it... )

Edited by A Sixth?

I could be completely off base (and I know quite a few of you will correct me if I am) but I think the majority of these increases have to do with making up for the lost revenues resulting from the constant 1-2-3, Pick 2 or whatever other programs they offer to fill the ships. Another 1-2-3 starts June 2. Complimentary drink packages, included gratuities and/or additional OBC have to impact their bottom line.

I could be completely off base (and I know quite a few of you will correct me if I am) but I think the majority of these increases have to do with making up for the lost revenues resulting from the constant 1-2-3, Pick 2 or whatever other programs they offer to fill the ships. Another 1-2-3 starts June 2. Complimentary drink packages, included gratuities and/or additional OBC have to impact their bottom line.

I'm not sure if it's to make up revenue or make the drink packages look a better deal

Am glad that our next cruise is with P&O now. Last month we were paying about £16 for a decent bottle of Pinot Grigio, with no service charge and took on a box of wine for the cabin. Can't believe how much they are charging for their wines now.

In my over 20 years of sailing, this was my cruise where I didn't purchase a single bottle of wine and it was an 11 day cruise. Off the Infinity last week and wine prices were absurd. The cheapest bottle of wine was in the $40's and it was something that I really wouldn't want to drink anyway. We did purchase a single glass of wine in BLU one evening and didn't receive it until we were almost through with our entrée so we were done with that. We used our CC drink vouchers to drink a few glasses of wine before dinner when we happened to be on the ship between 5-7 pm.

Sad to see wine prices increasing, but the cost of everything has gone up this year- our homeowners insurance up 15% this year, cost of steak dinner at a local restaurant up 20%, cost of propane to heat house up 21%, movie theatre increased evening prices from $7.50 to $ 9 & I could go on & on.

Unfortunately it is not just Celebrity, prices are going up significantly on many everyday expenses.

Sorry, but in the UK prices have gone up, but not by 21% ! I wouldn't mind If the prices were reasonable to start with, but when they were already ridiculously high for standard wine, then something is very wrong about such a price increase like this. :confused:

It is not difficult. If the wine is overpriced I won't drink.

(I'm always the driver so I am pals with water. )

I will go off the ship and drink a glass of wine for centimes in the port.

There is a limit. They are taking the mickey. Here in Italy today they reported a scandal of cheap wine being put in expensive bottles! Not uncommon sadly. I will keep on going to the wine shops and buying a litre for 3 euros. The dear stuff:rolleyes:

Maybe you should move to a new State / Provence where prices haven't gone anywhere up like that!!! :p

Vote with your feet!!! :D

(sorry devil made me do it... )

Love where we live. Just pointing out that it isn't just Celebrity that is raising prices. If you have found a place to live that isn't experiencing rising costs, please share it with us- we may join you there:)

To give everyone an idea of how overpriced the wine is onboard -

The wine I drink onboard now costs the same for ONE GLASS (including the 15% gratuity) as TWO BOTTLES of the same wine at home (including sales tax).

Cost is almost identical.

Based on 4 glasses per bottle that is an 8X premium onboard:(

I guess I'm stating the obvious but you are, like it or not, a captive audience. They can ask anything they want for anything on board....you have to decide if you want it badly enough to pay their price. At some point, the total cost of the cruise based on what you value will be high enough that you start to look at azamara, oceania and soon Viking or other options for seeing the world. Since they can give away the cruise and charge for what you buy on board or package everything in the cruise...the only thing that's important is figuring out the total cost per day and don't worry if it was cabin/drinks/zumba.

I figure we are paying about $325 a day on Celebrity when I add in drinks or drink packages, etc. That's getting up there with those "better" cruise lines and, oh yes, we're now booked on one of them as well as a river cruise.

To give everyone an idea of how overpriced the wine is onboard -

The wine I drink onboard now costs the same for ONE GLASS (including the 15% gratuity) as TWO BOTTLES of the same wine at home (including sales tax).

Cost is almost identical.

Based on 4 glasses per bottle that is an 8X premium onboard:(

And Celebrity probably buys it tax free !

This is disappointing to read! :( I always expect to pay more for a bottle of wine in a restaurant or on a cruise. However, in the past Celebrity we have always been able to find several bottles that we consider to be reasonably priced. If all wines have increased 21% I'll stick to what I can get within the premium bev pkg limits by the glass or drink more martinis!

In my over 20 years of sailing, this was my cruise where I didn't purchase a single bottle of wine and it was an 11 day cruise. Off the Infinity last week and wine prices were absurd. The cheapest bottle of wine was in the $40's and it was something that I really wouldn't want to drink anyway. We did purchase a single glass of wine in BLU one evening and didn't receive it until we were almost through with our entrée so we were done with that. We used our CC drink vouchers to drink a few glasses of wine before dinner when we happened to be on the ship between 5-7 pm.

What if Celebrity selected a few of the various wines that are included in the classic beverage package----and offered them by the bottle at reasonable prices?????

This would not reduce their sales of the more expensive wines by the bottle to package holder--but would certainly increase the number of bottles sold to the non-beverage package holder.

What if Celebrity selected a few of the various wines that are included in the classic beverage package----and offered them by the bottle at reasonable prices?????

This would not reduce their sales of the more expensive wines by the bottle to package holder--but would certainly increase the number of bottles sold to the non-beverage package holder.

I've seen them place several varieties on sale outside ocean view cafe, sometimes half off, they have a cart set up and sell the bottles. It varies cruise to cruise and ship to ship of course but my last 4 sailings, I have sen this in practice.

I guess I'm stating the obvious but you are, like it or not, a captive audience. They can ask anything they want for anything on board....you have to decide if you want it badly enough to pay their price. At some point, the total cost of the cruise based on what you value will be high enough that you start to look at azamara, oceania and soon Viking or other options for seeing the world. Since they can give away the cruise and charge for what you buy on board or package everything in the cruise...the only thing that's important is figuring out the total cost per day and don't worry if it was cabin/drinks/zumba.

I figure we are paying about $325 a day on Celebrity when I add in drinks or drink packages, etc. That's getting up there with those "better" cruise lines and, oh yes, we're now booked on one of them as well as a river cruise.

The thought has crossed my mind many times...push the elite plus and zenith towards the Azamara cruise line. Celebrity must know we (ones who have sailed a lot on X) are starting to look to upgrade.

Would love to hear about the river cruise when you return...something we have been considering.

The thought has crossed my mind many times...push the elite plus and zenith towards the Azamara cruise line. Celebrity must know we (ones who have sailed a lot on X) are starting to look to upgrade.

Would love to hear about the river cruise when you return...something we have been considering.

I actually think more of what's happening is Celebrity is trying to push more towards Royal Caribbean branded cruses since they have new ships going on line there over the next several years, and are losing capacity at Celebrity brand when Century retires. Especially as they continue to raise their onboard prices on X, it makes RCI look more of a value to the value conscious consumer.

Sure some will find their way to Azamara, but in reality, they only have 2 ships to choose from, which limits options for repeat cruisers, although they can do some amazing smaller ports the mass lines just can't do, but the line is limiting overall to the mass market.

That they have aligned their loyalty programs so that each level at Celebrity can get similar perks at RCI, seems this is part of the forward planning to me, that way the loyal cruisers still feel they are getting their benefits when sailing another line, and that Zenith level is SOOOO high compared the the last level on Celebrity, they have decided that at least people get some benefit there, without having to make a decision about will they or won't they reach then next level in the Celebrity Captain's Club - it's so unreachable for the majority of Celebrity cruisers, that they wont think of it as part of the decision process, it will be more of "at least I still get my perks, I can sail there now".

I've seen them place several varieties on sale outside ocean view cafe, sometimes half off, they have a cart set up and sell the bottles. It varies cruise to cruise and ship to ship of course but my last 4 sailings, I have sen this in practice.

I've seen this as well with many bottles selling for just $20. The sale was for "in room" consumption however and I'm sure they said a corkage fee would be charged if taken to the MDR.

I've seen this as well with many bottles selling for just $20. The sale was for "in room" consumption however and I'm sure they said a corkage fee would be charged if taken to the MDR.

Yes, my recollection as well re: corkage fee. But pour a glass as you leave cabin and take with, no corkage fee then!

Many people think if it costs more, it must be better. I was in business charging a fee for service. Business was doing okay. When I raised my fees, my business increased. One client told me that the higher fee denotes a better product. Perception is reality. Nothing changed except my fee. The more I raised the fee, the more business I got.