Doing the math for Diamond (again)

Okay, currently at 38 credits (Platinum)

Sailing on FOS in September, a B2B in a JS with my husband. 28 + 38 = 66

Sailing on Brilliance in January, 5 nights; girl's cruise. 66 + 5 = 71

Sailing on Liberty in March, 5 nights; spring break with my daughter. 71 + 5 = 76

If I upgraded either my January or March cruises to a JS, I'd be at 86 (Diamond) for the cruise my husband and I have booked for October, 2015 on Oasis. Also, since I'd make Diamond at the end of the March cruise, more than 6 months before the Oasis cruise, I think I might even qualify for a higher balcony discount for that cruise??

Just under $300 (total) to upgrade to a JS on Liberty (hump location, deck 9). About the same on Brilliance, but there's only one left and it's an aft with an obstructed view.

Three cruises over 7 months is not the norm for us. It's typically one per year; 2 if I'm lucky. Although now that our oldest daughter is working full time, and loves to cruise, I may be doing some shorter cruises with her.

Anyway, never dreamed I'd be this close to Diamond, and actually never paid that much attention to it because it seemed so far off. Have any of you ever done an upgrade just to bump up to the next level?

... Also, since I'd make Diamond at the end of the March cruise, more than 6 months before the Oasis cruise, I think I might even qualify for a higher balcony discount for that cruise??...

Yes, you can get a higher balcony discount when you turn Diamond, however I've read that they now re-price the cruise when you do that, so it may not be advantageous if the price of the cruise has gone up significantly.

Yes, you can get a higher balcony discount when you turn Diamond, however I've read that they now re-price the cruise when you do that, so it may not be advantageous if the price of the cruise has gone up significantly.

Yes, it seems like the "deals" are all over the place. We got a good deal when we booked Oasis, so it might be better to leave that one alone.

Anyway, never dreamed I'd be this close to Diamond, and actually never paid that much attention to it because it seemed so far off. Have any of you ever done an upgrade just to bump up to the next level?

I'm in that boat, pun intended. I probably would have upgraded to a JS on my last cruise on Jewel so I would be Diamond on my next Freedom cruise, but the upgrade was never less than $1000 for both of us and the ship sailed full, so I have to wait for diamond one more cruise! I did upgrade to a JS from a balcony on a cruise on Majesty back in 2010 so that I would be Emerald for Allure in 2011, but I only paid about $300 for the two of us on that upgrade. I won't be worrying about D+ for quite a while.

I'm in that boat, pun intended. I probably would have upgraded to a JS on my last cruise on Jewel so I would be Diamond on my next Freedom cruise, but the upgrade was never less than $1000 for both of us and the ship sailed full, so I have to wait for diamond one more cruise! I did upgrade to a JS from a balcony on a cruise on Majesty back in 2010 so that I would be Emerald for Allure in 2011, but I only paid about $300 for the two of us on that upgrade. I won't be worrying about D+ for quite a while.

Oh yeah! That transition from Diamond to D+, at the rate we cruise, is going to take me a LOOOOONG time! :eek:

Years ago we planned TA cruise on Celebrity and needed three credits make elite. Concierge class was no bargain, so we paid about $700 more for 14 nights in a sky suite vs a regular balcony. That was a good value as we enjoyed the suite and suite services on those sea days on the TA. Making Elite on Celebrity gave us D benefits onour next cruises... 2 sets of B2B cruises on Royal Caribbean. That extra Celebrity credit was a good value for us.

If you pay the $300 extra, you'd get a nicer cabin for 5 nights, and you'd get some D benfits on a seven night Oasis cruise. If you'd like the extra space and if you'd use the D lounge a lot on that Oasis cruise, it would be a reasonable choice. If the extra space is no big deal to you and if you do not drink much, I'd wait.

Is there even a Diamond lounge on Oasis? I've been looking at the deck plans, and for the life of me can't find it.

Yes it is on Deck 6. They sometimes hold the Diamond Cocktail hour in the nightclub Blaze depending on the number of D and above on the sailing. We have been on the Oasis class 4 times and the cocktail hour was in Blaze on all of them

Are you sailing as a single by yourself in January? If so I believe singles now get double points

Edited by molly361

Yes it is on Deck 6. They sometimes hold the Diamond Cocktail hour in the nightclub Blaze depending on the number of D and above on the sailing. We have been on the Oasis class 4 times and the cocktail hour was in Blaze on all of them

Are you sailing as a single by yourself in January? If so I believe singles now get double points

It is probably more money than moving to a JS, but molly361 raises another option to price out. You could check the price of solo cabins for the girl's cruise. You could book yourself as a solo to get double points. DS could also sail solo or perhaps there is a third person you might ask to join the fun. Insides would be most cost effective, of course.

Okay, currently at 38 credits (Platinum)

Sailing on Brilliance in January, 5 nights; girl's cruise. 66 + 5 = 71

Sailing on Liberty in March, 5 nights; spring break with my daughter. 71 + 5 = 76

If I upgraded either my January or March cruises to a JS, I'd be at 86

I think you may want to double-check your math. With these three cruises as listed, you'd be at 76 points. If you switch to a JS for January OR March (not both), you'd be at 81 points (you'd get an extra 5 points for a JS or higher, not 10), not 86. You'd have to switch to a JS for both cruises to be 86.

It is probably more money than moving to a JS, but molly361 raises another option to price out. You could check the price of solo cabins for the girl's cruise. You could book yourself as a solo to get double points. DS could also sail solo or perhaps there is a third person you might ask to join the fun. Insides would be most cost effective, of course.

Oh wow...I didn't know that! I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I think you may want to double-check your math. With these three cruises as listed, you'd be at 76 points. If you switch to a JS for January OR March (not both), you'd be at 81 points (you'd get an extra 5 points for a JS or higher, not 10), not 86. You'd have to switch to a JS for both cruises to be 86.

Wouldn't I get 10 total for being in a JS for 5 days? I thought it was double?

81 is all I would need to reach Diamond.

Wouldn't I get 10 total for being in a JS for 5 days? I thought it was double?

81 is all I would need to reach Diamond.

Ah, true, 81 would get you to Diamond. I was thinking it was 85 for a moment (getting it confused with Emerald at 55, I guess).

Anyway, yes, you would get 10 cruise points total. Your previous calculation summed up at 76 already includes 5 for the cruise, so you'd only get to add 5 more.

Alternatively, look at it like this (I highlighted the changes):

Sailing on Brilliance in January, 5 nights
(in a JS)
; girl's cruise. 66 +
=

Sailing on Liberty in March, 5 nights; spring break with my daughter.
+ 5 =

Edited by Daghis

... Have any of you ever done an upgrade just to bump up to the next level?

All the time. We did a B2B in a Jr. Suite when the last Diamond in December was offered giving us 42 points. Then we cruised in a Jr. Suite for a 9-day cruise this past December giving us another 18 points. Now we have two cruises booked in a Jr. Suite for August 2014 and January 2015 which at the end of our January cruise we will be Diamond Plus.

And unless Royal Caribbean decides to invent another level between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle I might just decide to start cruising with my friends on another line just so I can become Diamond on that cruise line; I'm already Gold on theirs. I'll cruise on any of four cruise lines as long as my family and friends are with me.

All the time. We did a B2B in a Jr. Suite when the last Diamond in December was offered giving us 42 points. Then we cruised in a Jr. Suite for a 9-day cruise this past December giving us another 18 points. Now we have two cruises booked in a Jr. Suite for August 2014 and January 2015 which at the end of our January cruise we will be Diamond Plus.

And unless Royal Caribbean decides to invent another level between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle I might just decide to start cruising with my friends on another line just so I can become Diamond on that cruise line; I'm already Gold on theirs. I'll cruise on any of four cruise lines as long as my family and friends are with me.

So you are striving for D+, but once you make it you "might just decide to start cruising with my friends on another line just so I can become Diamond on that cruise line?" :confused:

Funny, last year as I was a newly minted D+, I looked forward to cruising Royal Caribbean so I could enjoy those new perks. I still do. For me it is not about reaching the status, but about enjoying the cruises more and more, perks and all. I do look forward to the crystal blocks every 70 points and I look forward to eventually the extras at 340-350 points.