A new ship for Princess in 2017?

caribill

I disagree that it's the Elites passengers who are most of the rude ones & instead most of them are are very easy going, friendly & helpful. Rudeness is determined by someone's outlook on life & not related to how many times sailing with any cruise line. A self entitled 1st time passenger is as likely to be rude as anyone who is at the elite level. Experiences will vary but during 18 days on the Royal I never ran into rude or inconsiderate passengers. Our waiters at the Symphony anytime dining room were very efficient & provided great service with a smile.

I agree!

It could be that the passengers were most of the higher Elites and think they were special & should have been catered to.

Easy now.

I disagree that it's the Elites passengers who are most of the rude ones & instead most of them are are very easy going, friendly & helpful.

Thank you!

I'm not sure how rude passengers got into a discussion of a new build...one has nothing to do with the other.

After a B2B on Royal we found most of the ship boring and the worst part was the number of rude and inconsiderate passengers.
It could be that the passengers were most of the higher Elites and think they were special & should have been catered to. Poor dining service was no excuse, even for a new ship since it was made up of employees transferred from other ships.
I'm with you and hope it's not déjà vu & turns into another debate between those who like and dislike the Royal's design. ;)
I'm not sure how rude passengers got into a discussion of a new build...one has nothing to do with the other.

In my earlier post I hoped that it wouldn't turn into another Royal/Regal discussion. I am guilty of responding to the posts about "rude and inconsiderate passengers" on the Royal. :(

Thanks & back to the subject of this thread...new ship designs. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I think people might be reading more into that article than it should. To me it read as an analyst basically throwing darts at the wall saying "well, nothing's ordered now, if they want to hit this target, they'd have to order by X date, and I'm guessing it would be Y passengers." There's nothing in the article to indicate there's any actual word from inside the company indicating that things might happen, and everything else is something that any analyst with half a brain could make a guess at. Must have been a slow news day or something.

They must have drank the kool-aid:eek:. Just my two cents. I know that others disagree with me, but those are my thoughts. Some of my post regarding these two ships have cynicism in them, but I still don't like em.....:)

Bob

Please not a Royal/Regal clone!

I have to agree with Cruise Junky and Woobstr. A new design would be a much better idea than a Royal/Regal sister ship. I did the 30 day Med/Inaugural Transatlantic B2B on Royal and here is what I wrote at the time:

"There's been an awful lot of ship-bashing going on regarding the Royal and I was determined to keep an open mind until I could experience it myself.

Having done so, I have to agree that there are a few issues with this ship; some important and some trivial. Here's my take on the top ten in no particular order:

10. Elevators - buttons on only one side of car, one push of up or down button brings all mid-ship elevators but fore and aft banks, one must push a button on each side. Hand rails already critically loose in several elevators; don't see them lasting long.

9. Toilet paper holder placement - I had to see it for my self. Who designed that particular feature? As an aside, opening the bathroom door when the closet door is open results in a nasty gouge to the bathroom door.

8. No center stairs from deck 7 upward - I don't understand it and I don't like it.

7. Upper aisles in theater accessible only from center aisle - inconvenient and in my opinion, unsafe. Lack of tables/drink holders wasn't well thought out.

6. Only two pools for such a large ship - Caribbean cruises will suffer most from this poor design choice. The fountain is a complete waste of valuable deck space which could have been better used for another or larger pool.

5. Rotting door jambs in public restrooms - the jambs are not sealed at the bottom and water from overflows and mopping wicks up under the finish which causes the wood to discolor and rot. I was amazed at the amount of damage and rot which has occurred in such a short time.

4. Deck 17 smoking area - shared with the kiddies playground; you know, the one that looks as if junior can climb over the rail! As strong as the wind is up there, I'm sure a lot of smoke and ash is swept down to stern balconies.

3. Very tight seating in Vista Lounge - the tables are immobile, mounted to the deck and it's nearly impossible to get past others already seated to use center seating areas.

2. Fixed mounted TVs - seems as if some sort of swivel mount would have been preferable.

1. No Promenade Deck - in my opinion, this is the single most egregious design fault. That long-time cruise staple, the leisurely promenade stroll is no more on the Royal. Of course one can go up to deck 18 and try to stroll the running track or walking track or whatever they're calling it nowadays but dealing with high winds, diesel smell, frenetic runners and dedicated power walkers is not my idea of a relaxing stroll."

Hopefully, if a new build does occur, the designers will do a little better job than they did with the Royal/Regal.

Edited by traveling1969

I'm not going to be argumentative either & understand that some didn't enjoy their experience. I am merely sharing my experiences which were different than the ones you mentioned.

Despite what some may think to me even when there are "sooooo" many CC complaints it's still only a very small percentage of the passengers onboard. The overwhelming majority are not on CC so CC opinions are not necessarily indicative of how the majority of the passengers feel about a cruise. There were over 1200 elite onboard however I never ran into any rude passengers...elite to blue.

I've read positive & negative opinions about most cruises however would never base my decision on them. We've read many times about passengers who cancel a cruise based on negative comments or those who continue on a cruise despite negative comments & say everything was great.

It's good to read various opinions however for me I take them with a "grain of salt".

Frank;

I take some of my own opinions with a grain of salt.....:D:D:D

Bob

Frank;

I take some of my own opinions with a grain of salt.....:D:D:D

Bob

Me too! :D

It's just different opinions & about respecting others opinions even when disagreeing. :) It's merely discussing a fun escape from reality & nothing dangerous...stay safe Bob. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Me too! :D

It's just different opinions & about respecting others opinions even when disagreeing. :) It's merely discussing a fun escape from reality & nothing dangerous...stay safe Bob. :)

Frank;

Well said sir. As far as staying safe, I must be doing something right becuase I'm still here after 33 years. Only 655 more days to go.....:):):)

Bob

Frank;

Well said sir. As far as staying safe, I must be doing something right becuase I'm still here after 33 years. Only 655 more days to go.....:):):)

Bob

Keep doing what you're doing...is it too early for a short-timers calendar? ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have to agree with Cruise Junky and Woobstr. A new design would be a much better idea than a Royal/Regal sister ship. I did the 30 day Med/Inaugural Transatlantic B2B on Royal and here is what I wrote at the time:

2. Fixed mounted TVs - seems as if some sort of swivel mount would have been preferable.

Aside from all your legitimate complaints let me add that there is the lack of an HDMI input to the TV so people can utilize it for themselves without having to disconnect the main input. Sad. :mad:

I'm not going to be argumentative either & understand that some didn't enjoy their experience. I am merely sharing my experiences which were different than the ones you mentioned.

Despite what some may think to me even when there are "sooooo" many CC complaints it's still only a very small percentage of the passengers onboard. The overwhelming majority are not on CC so CC opinions are not necessarily indicative of how the majority of the passengers feel about a cruise. There were over 1200 elite onboard however I never ran into any rude passengers...elite to blue.

I've read positive & negative opinions about most cruises however would never base my decision on them. We've read many times about passengers who cancel a cruise based on negative comments or those who continue on a cruise despite negative comments & say everything was great.

It's good to read various opinions however for me I take them with a "grain of salt".

Thanks for writing this. It was getting to a point that I was by-passing reading the posts on the topic you responded to. There are too many folks out there that are using this forum to "flame" on about what they don't like about a voyage or a ship. It's like they are looking for something to complain about rather than offering a substantive report or comment that would be objective.

Yeah, everyone has the opportunity to offer their opinion but when it is structured along the lines of bias and unchanging mindset. There are rude people on every voyage. They aren't Elite, Platinum, Ruby, .....they are just plain rude.

The Royal and Regal are fine ships with some really neat, different and effective changes over past designs. Sure we miss the full Promenade for our morning walk, but found the track on the open deck was a good compromise. The Horizon Court and Bistro area layout is great. Much more efficient and open with plenty of table space. Smaller balcony didn't bother us at all. We just dealt with it because we weren't going to let it spoil the real reason we were there in the first place.

If Carnival Corp (to get back on the subject at hand) is going to build two more ships then I would hope they keep some of the good things they incorporated in the Royal and Regal and tweak the minor stuff. What I hope they don't do is turn they ship design into a theme park atmosphere layout like some of the competition.

I am not the "normal" passenger. I prefer smaller ships and my favorites on Princess are Ocean, Pacific, Island and Coral. For me...Princess does small ships better than the megas. For large ships RC with the Oasis and Allure is way ahead of Princess. The glass walk and water show don't even come close to RCs innovations. EVERY CRUISE LINE HAS IT'S OWN SPECIAL APPEAL. We are loyal to Princess because we like the Elite perks, the Suite perks and the OBCs which include Military and are all combineable. Some are even refundable.

However; if Princess sells off the smaller ships we will likely be cruising on Oceania or Regent Seven Seas.

Sure we miss the full Promenade for our morning walk, but found the track on the open deck was a good compromise.

For many this is true.

For those who like to walk in shade or be able to walk even when it is raining on the open deck, it is not true.

Edited by caribill

For those who like to walk in shade or be able to walk even when it is raining on the open deck, it is not true.

I fall into that category because of a health issue & instead went to the gym to use the treadmill during a slow time of the day. Sure I missed the covered promenade deck but just adapted to continue my cardio exercise.

At the Platinum/Elite Captain's Cocktail parties on the Regal the past 2 cruises, the Future Cruise Consultant told us she gets asked often about when the next new ship will debut. She said something like "unless the captain has a big credit card", I don't think there's going to be a new ship for quite a while.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

At the Platinum/Elite Captain's Cocktail parties on the Regal the past 2 cruises, the Future Cruise Consultant told us she gets asked often about when the next new ship will debut. She said something like "unless the captain has a big credit card", I don't think there's going to be a new ship for quite a while.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Even if she knows, she probably can't (and definitely shouldn't) say until it is publicly announced by Princess. Speculation on her part wouldn't be very professional.

• 1 month later...

As a TA I got an email from Princess today. The new ship will be delivered in 2017.

The ship will be a sister ship to the Royal/Regal. It also says that "the ship will include some brand-new innovations to enhance the guest experience". More to come in the next few months.

Edited by spingal