men's wallets

1of4

I am interested in opinions and practices of North American men while in Europe (or anywhere other than home) - do you still carry your wallet in a back pocket or do you change your habit and put it someplace else? :confused:

I am asking because I saw a man carrying a leather zippered "pouch" about 6" by 9" in size (estimating here) with a leather strap that went around his wrist while we were in Niagara Falls, Ontario on the weekend. His wife was carrying her purse.

It just made me think that it looked more secure than carrying a wallet in a back pocket, like my Dh. It didn't fit into the "man purse" as described on a Seinfeld episode!

I carry an old wallet with about 40E max in it. I keep it in my front pocket where I can feel it or touch it. Never, ever in my back pocket.

I keep my money, cards in my neck pouch under my shirt. DW keeps at least one card, usually 2 separate in her pouch so that in case of theft we always have access to one account and one credit card.

A leather strap is not much of an obstacle to an experienced thief.

Edited by iancal

It has been more than 20 years since I have carried my wallet in my back pocket. I always carry it in my front shirt or jacket pocket which has a closure of some sort or I carry it in a small leather bag that also contains my keys and cell phone.

I carry an old wallet with about 40E max in it. I keep it in my front pocket where I can feel it or touch it. Never, ever in my back pocket.

I keep my money, cards in my neck pouch under my shirt. DW keeps at least one card, usually 2 separate in her pouch so that in case of theft we always have access to one account and one credit card.

A leather strap is not much of an obstacle to an experienced thief.

This is what we do too. Never make your belongings easily accessible to pickpockets. Money belts always.

Once we were on a crowded bus in Athens and my BIL was targeted by a team of pickpockets because he had his backpack on his back. In those circumstances always wear your backpack in front, never behind you. He had nothing of value in it, and it was interesting watching them move in on him, but still he shouldn't have worn it that way.

When we travel my husband uses a thin polyester wallet with velcro closures and a web like material belt loop. He puts it over his belt and then tucks it inside his pants. It is easy to pull out and nobody can snatch it while he is getting at his money. I bought it in a travel store. It washes well too.

Edited by sapper1

I made the switch of carrying my wallet from my back pocket to my front pocket many, many years ago. I think it was way back during one of my first trips to Europe (yes, that warning has been around a LONG time). Plus, it is a lot more comfortable! :D

Now, it is second nature for me to carry in my front pocket, all the time.

I dont carry my wallet at all in Europe. I take one credit card, one debit card and my cash and carry them in a small change like purse in my top pocket in my shirt (which has a Velcro seal).

I always leave my wallet in the cabin safe after putting money, cards, etc. in a pouch that has a neck strap. All of this goes under my shirt. The only thing I keep in my pockets are a few small bills, coins & cabin key.

At home DH has his wallet in the back pocket.

Years ago when we stayed a few times at the Embassy Suites in San Diego, they gave each person a small plastic card case to keep your room card in. I kept them. DH uses one on cruises -- 2 slots -- great for a little money, driver ID, medical card and list of prescriptions and a credit card with low limit.

I

I am asking because I saw a man carrying a leather zippered "pouch" about 6" by 9" in size (estimating here) with a leather strap that went around his wrist while we were in Niagara Falls, Ontario on the weekend. His wife was carrying her purse.

It just made me think that it looked more secure than carrying a wallet in a back pocket, like my Dh. It didn't fit into the "man purse" as described on a Seinfeld episode!

Sounds like a fanny pack. This and the mullet died about the same time

We usually wear "convertible" cargo pants when travelling; these have multiple zippered or at least Velcro closure pockets including the cargo pocket on the side of the thigh. We carry cash and credit cards etc in the zippered cargo pocket. If we are wearing jeans we use security pouches for cash and credit cards... I have one that loops over my pants belt and tucks into the waist, DH has one that he wears around his waist under his shirt... I like mine better, more easily accessible. Have yet to have a problem with pickpockets (knock wood). m--

I now use a "Big Skinny" front pocket wallet. They come in fabric and leather. You can check them out on Amazon. We first saw them at a fair with stands. I have the regular back pocket version with the picture folder but rarely use it now. The Big Skinny still affords comfortable slots for around 6 credit cards and license.

Dennis

I now use a "Big Skinny" front pocket wallet. They come in fabric and leather. You can check them out on Amazon. We first saw them at a fair with stands. I have the regular back pocket version with the picture folder but rarely use it now. The Big Skinny still affords comfortable slots for around 6 credit cards and license.

Dennis

Never heard of these before. Will check them out. Thanks!

The only time I lost my wallet to a pick pocket was when I was carrying it in my front pocket. That was on a subway in Beijing about two years ago. I now use a cloth case with a strap that goes around my neck and fits under my shirt in front. That said, I never carry much ashore anyway-most stays in my room safe.

...North American men while in Europe (or anywhere other than home) - do you still carry your wallet in a back pocket or do you change your habit and put it someplace else?...

I virtually always carry my wallet in my back pocket.

Once or twice a year I might switch it to a front pocket, for example at the forbidden city in Beijing or a flea market in Paris.

However, I do wear a 6 inch wide leather pouch on my belt that hangs down over my back pocket and makes it rather difficult to get anything out of the pocket without lifting the pouch way up. The pouch has two pockets; one for a camera and the other for a phone. The pouch itself has three separate rather strong Velcro closures so it itself cannot easily be opened.

Scott & Karen

Those darn gypsies and pickpockets. Look at the extremes they make us go to in order to hold onto our property.

The only time in all our travels my DH got targeted was in Plaza Mayor in Madrid. A very crowded candy shop and he was being jostled while waiting his turn. He had a small amount of cash in a front pocket and his credit card in his hand ready to pay for his purchase. When he reached into his pocket, he realized they got the cash. It wasn't much but it still stung to have it stolen. We were very glad to have used common sense and only taken what we needed for the day out of the hotel safe. We weren't on a cruise that trip.

He never carried his wallet in back pocket when we traveled.

Edited by sail7seas