13 Nights Spain & Portugal Cruise on Celebrity Equinox

Travel3

Considering this cruise roundtrip Barcelona, however, concerned about the weather in Portugal and Spain in October. The dates are October 2-15/2015 and we would fly in to Barcelona a few days prior. I love the itinerary but don't want rain and cold. I checked out quite a few websites on weather in October for this area and there is different information on each one of them. Has anyone been to Portugal and Spain in Ocotber, if so, is it still nice this time of year. I would be happy with shorts in the day and sweater in the evenings. As well, during the 3 sea days, would love to sit around the pool and not freeze:).

We did the Canaries and Azores Cruise last October and other than Ponte Del Garda, which was cold, miserable and raining, the weather was absolutely glorious. Lisbon was an absolute treat...with that in mind, I do not see why the weather should not be absolutely fine. As long as you have a cardi just in case, you will be fine. Enjoy your Cruise :D

Book it!! then come and join our roll call :) it's a great itinerary. I've been to Barcelona in October, it was great weather. Places like Seville can easily reach 40 in the summer, there's no way I want to be touring in that. Honestly, I'd have only considered this cruise in either May or September/October.

That was a consideration for us too but the itinerary was exactly the trip I wanted to do on land .This is so much easier and 3 overnight was our deciding factor.We hope for great weather but either way we will have a great time.:D

I was in Spain and Portugal last year and Barcelona a few Octobers ago. The weather was wonderful each time. I had great tours in each location with rain only one day.

The weather should be great, but anywhere in Europe can be a little chilly in October. Sunbathing at the pool may not be that pleasant. On the other hand, with a little layering, it's great weather for walking and enjoying the ports. We cruise in Europe every October and have never experienced much rain. Love it.

• 3 months later...
Weather can be a problem anythime of year but we like that time as things are not sooooo crowded.

So right you are. Been to Europe once in the summer. Never again. Three time on shoulder cruises. Actually got to sit down and just appreciate the Sistine Chaple. It can be sunny and nice but it can also be verrrrry rainy. We bring REI rain pants and Wellington boots to use with the Celebrity umbrellas. Just stuff 'em with stuff, they'll fit. Medieval cities don't have the best drainage. Cold wet legs aren't fun. Layer great with shorts too.

• 3 months later...

I was on Celebrity Constellation this past late-September (Amsterdam to Istanbul). The weather was fine the entire time. We are booked on this cruise (10/2 - 10/15) and the following two cruises all on Equinox. Even though the weather is generally nice, the evenings can be cool and breezy and, of course, rain storms can arrive. The real issue is that NO ONE knows what the weather is going to be like nine months from now; averages are nice, but I try to look at the positives of the trips, and these are great itineraries. Hope to see you onboard!

• 2 months later...
Book it!! then come and join our roll call :) it's a great itinerary. I've been to Barcelona in October, it was great weather. Places like Seville can easily reach 40 in the summer, there's no way I want to be touring in that. Honestly, I'd have only considered this cruise in either May or September/October.

We are booked for Azores and Canaries in September, but looking to switch to the Spain/Portugal, leaving Oct2 that you mentioned

I tried to figure out how far the "sights" are from port since there are two overnights. (We had loved our over night in St. Petersburg, but doing Southern Asia last spring, found that the overnights were because what you wanted to SEE was so far from the port,you needed to spend the night in the town.) So, how far are the sights from Lisbon and Malaga?

I don't care for paying for the ship and then having to pay for other lodging and food. I don't mind lunch or even lunch and dinner off the ship if need be-I did see that in ship's excursions there were a few 7 hour adventures. We usually try to plan private, anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Donna in SC

All the museums and historic buildings etc are within easy walking distance from the port entrance in Malaga. As is the market (wonderful produce and very fresh fish). Enjoy the local wine and try some tapas. We regularly spend a week here every year.

If you intend going farther afield, then Granada and Seville would be long days out if you intend seeing the sights there.

A short train or bus ride will get you to all of the local places of interest in Lisbon.

All the museums and historic buildings etc are within easy walking distance from the port entrance in Malaga. As is the market (wonderful produce and very fresh fish). Enjoy the local wine and try some tapas. We regularly spend a week here every year.

If you intend going farther afield, then Granada and Seville would be long days out if you intend seeing the sights there.

A short train or bus ride will get you to all of the local places of interest in Lisbon.

So, the over night in Malaga, is for those who are heading to Granada or Seville? Lisbon can be seen "in the day" but overnight gives you a full day?

Thanks

We are going to go ahead and sign up for this cruise today.

Donna

You should get warmer weather in the Canaries than Portugal, as they are further south and are effected by winds from the Sahara desert.

We spent this last Christmas & New Year in Tenerife ( Los Cristianos) where the weather over 13 of the 14 days was 26c /80F.

However, I've since heard that they have had a bad winter in the north of the island, where the Cruise port is.

The Mediterranean starts to cool down mid- late Oct.

We sailed the Canaries and Azores last October.

I expected a few colder days, and packed a few more layers just in case.

However the weather was glorious, just perfect temperatures.

But you never know, anytime of the year you can get weather that no one was expecting.

Pack a few items to layer and a thin rain jacket and you will be prepared for anything.

So, the over night in Malaga, is for those who are heading to Granada or Seville? Lisbon can be seen "in the day" but overnight gives you a full day?

Thanks

We are going to go ahead and sign up for this cruise today.

Donna

Hi Donna we booked this cruise last year when it came out and have a very active roll call going already . Lots of tours have opened up and already full. I do have booked a full day to Granada and am not sure if it is full but if you are interested I will check?? What a great cruise can not wait !!!:)

• 1 month later...

What is going on? I just signed back on to send info to a couple who is going to travel with us. There is no "skip to last read" at the top of the page, and no list of the pages of blog. I am hoping this will carry me to the end.

Donna in SC

We were on the Equinox TA last fall late Oct. early November. It was Barcelona and three cities in Spain and two in the Canaries. Weather was fabulous. Not as many tourists as earlier in the year and most of the time I just wore a 3/4 sleeve shirt and carried a light jacket or sweater (although rarely needed it). We had some scattered rain on a couple days, but it was very scattered and over quickly.

We hope to return to Barcelona one day to spend more than the 3 days pre-cruise that we did. We also fell in love with Valencia and Palma de Mallorca. Malaga was beautiful and probably our best weather. Lanzarote in the Canary Islands was, to us, kind of eh. But Tenerife was fabulous. What a surprisingly beautiful little island. If you go, be sure to take a private tour and get way way up in the mountains.

Book it!!

We've done this, or very similar itinerary the last two falls and the weather was fantastic. We tied the transatlantic to the end of it. This fall we are doing something very similar, but only on Royal Caribbean. It didn't have all the "free things", such as drink package, obc, and prepaid gratuities included. It was over $500 p.p. cheaper and our travel agent is throwing in the prepaid gratuities and a decent obc.

• 2 months later...

We are booked on the Celebrity Equinox on October 2, 2015 from Barcelona. Flying in a day early and going to stay in a hotel. Is there anyone going on the same cruise that wants to share tours and or transfers form the airport to hotel and hotel to the cruise and same for the return .

Considering this cruise roundtrip Barcelona, however, concerned about the weather in Portugal and Spain in October. The dates are October 2-15/2015 and we would fly in to Barcelona a few days prior. I love the itinerary but don't want rain and cold. I checked out quite a few websites on weather in October for this area and there is different information on each one of them. Has anyone been to Portugal and Spain in Ocotber, if so, is it still nice this time of year. I would be happy with shorts in the day and sweater in the evenings. As well, during the 3 sea days, would love to sit around the pool and not freeze:).

As you will see, we are doing the Canaries etc., on Eclipse 10 - 22 Oct. Being from England we have spent many holidays in Spain, Portugal (inc Madeira)and the Canaries, the latter being a Winter destination for us.......a bit like you guys and "snowbirds!". The only part of our cruise that I am expecting to be questionable weatherwise is the day we leave Southampton and the day we return. The rest of the time I expect the temperatures to be between mid 70s and mid 80s. We sometimes go to Tenerife at Christmas, it's usually hovering around early 80s. Don't worry about the weather unless you're visiting the UK!!!