Tips charged to sea pass daily?

Or, you could just factor in the cost of gratuities when planning your cruise.

We always do just that.Again we don't want or need Royal Caribbean to take our Money,and decide for us who to pay our Money to.At that point it is no longer a tip.It is Royal paying their crews salary with our money.That is our opinion.You may have one that differs from ours,And that is fine with us.I also think twenty four dollars a day is a pretty good tip.Have a great next cruise.:)

I'm reading this thread, and I'm trying to play out the scenario in my mind mentioned in this thread where my family goes to dinner each night but then we skip the last night because we don't want to tip. I just can't do it.

I just can't believe people would do that - I guess I'm too Pollyanna-ish in my view of the human race. I don't think I'd be able to sleep a wink at night if we stiffed our waiter like that.

I have only been on 5 cruises, but on each one by the end of the cruise the waiter had done such a great job that we really wanted to show him how much we appreciated his effort.

Did people really do that? Skip out on the last night just to avoid the tip?

I don't think many people actually do do that. None of us know. I just think some of us like to delve more deeply to try to understand why RCC do it this way, and how our money is being spent, and if it is going to the people we want it to go to. I think that's actually more generous thinking than just taking it for granted that it gets to the people concerned. And in my opinion, paying people a proper living salary which allows us to tip individually as necessary is even more realistic and generous.

What I can't believe is that people don't question, they just assume, and that's really not good for staff.

Its nothing to do with whether anyone else is a good person, its just done in different ways. It doesn't have to be done in an obvious way either.

None of us know how generous another person is. Some will shout out from the rooftops how fab they are and how generous they are, others will do it quietly.

Edited by Adayatatime

We have had tablemates that did not show up on the last night. I don't believe all of them did it just to avoid tipping but I do think it was likely that a few of them did. We had one couple (out of a table for 10) who came every night on a 14 night cruise, except for the last night. And they complained a lot each night they were there, nothing was right as far as they were concerned. I'm pretty sure they did not come that last night to avoid tipping.:mad:

I just consider the daily amount to be part of the overall cost of cruising. Out of 35 cruises, I have yet to feel that the tips were not deserved.

Sherri:)

With all due respect you don't know why they didn't come. On our last cruise we ate quickly in the windjammer so we could spend a whole evening outside. The final night is very precious.

We always do just that.Again we don't want or need Royal Caribbean to take our Money,and decide for us who to pay our Money to.At that point it is no longer a tip.It is Royal paying their crews salary with our money.That is our opinion.You may have one that differs from ours,And that is fine with us.I also think twenty four dollars a day is a pretty good tip.Have a great next cruise.:)

This is exactly what it is. For some reason people forget that RC are a business, and will do whatever costs the least. That's how businesses run.

Edited by Adayatatime

We have had good service on most of our cruises, and on some cruises we have had great service. We tipped, sometimes a little too much (not excessively but, more than expected).

We had one bad day of dining room service years ago, but, everyone has a bad day.

We are now glad that the gratuities are paid before we sail, and do not have to worry about them.

We take about 8 extra small envelopes in case some one exceeds our expectations; but we use some of those envelopes for the Conciernage lounge employees and place their tips in them.

If we have bad service, and/or poor behavior...we just take our complaint to the powers that be. I dont think that all the people that rely on the tip money as part of their salary should be penalized by one bad employee.

Sea Ya

With all due respect you don't know why they didn't come. On our last cruise we ate quickly in the windjammer so we could spend a whole evening outside. The final night is very precious.

You're right, I don't know why they didn't come but based on their behavior the other nights, I think it's a pretty good bet! They spent the other 13 nights complaining about everything, I don't think there was a single meal they liked, although they seemed to eat quite a bit of each one!:D

Sherri:)

We do eat in the Windjammer, were we serve ourselves. I cannot see tipping the head waiter, waiter and asst. waiter, when we get our own food. Thanks Donna

they should wrap it up in cruise price for cheap skates like some that do not see a need to tip. they wipe and clear your tables everyday and also get you drinks if you wish to have.

This is exactly what it is. For some reason people forget that RC are a business, and will do whatever costs the least. That's how businesses run.

Royal must love it that so many people are willing to pay the crew for them.As a Business why should they pay them more?I WOULD BE WILLING TO GUESS GOLDSTEIN DOES NOT NEED ANY TIPS. :)

they should wrap it up in cruise price for cheap skates like some that do not see a need to tip. They wipe and clear your tables everyday and also get you drinks if you wish to have.

why do you feel the need to call people names,because they have a different opinion then yours.also why do you care what other people do. :) :)

why do you feel the need to call people names,because they have a different opinion then yours.also why do you care what other people do. :) :)

I wasnt calling anyone personally names. I do feel it is disgusting to expect service for free.

This whole topic blows my mind. I've been on 1 cruise, and another is scheduled for November. I personally feel the pre paid tip amount is low. I was very surprised at the amount. On our last cruise we pre paid and gave our amazing steward an extra $40 on the last night for his service. We did not pay any additional tips to the dining room staff as we did your time dining and had a different server every night. If I did scheduled dining I'm sure I would have left extra.

Do people who want to remove the tips also not tip when they go out to eat on land? I just don't get it. There are always extra coats to a trip- airfare, rental cars, meals, gas, hotel to name a few. Port fees and gratuities should just be some of those extras you factor in.

Just my opinion.

Carnival Paradise 4/2014

Allure of the Seas November 2014

I just dont get it either. I find I need to over tip to make up for these individuals. I do however understand Royal Carribean should be paying their other staff a fair wage so they do not rely on tips. It does look like the trend is going to prepaid only with my time and dynamic dining, this may stop the non tippers.

The doormen, especially in US hotels that wave taxis to the front door and open the doors for you and help put your bags in the boot (trunk) - those are taxi callers and it's customary to tip them at least a dollar. Bellhops (hotel porters) who both deliver and collect your bags to/from your room should also get a tip.

Thank you for the save, Peter! :D My vocabulary obviously escapes me when I imbibe a little. :D:):D

Royal must love it that so many people are willing to pay the crew for them.As a Business why should they pay them more?I WOULD BE WILLING TO GUESS GOLDSTEIN DOES NOT NEED ANY TIPS. :)

I see you are from my home state. Do you ever eat out in a restaurant? Do you leave a tip? If so, do you think it goes directly to the owner of the restaurant? If not, do you ever go backs to that restaurant a second time? I wouldn't. You do understand that waitstaff are paid below minimum wage and depend on tips for their income?

I see you are from my home state. Do you ever eat out in a restaurant? Do you leave a tip? If so, do you think it goes directly to the owner of the restaurant? If not, do you ever go backs to that restaurant a second time? I wouldn't. You do understand that waitstaff are paid below minimum wage and depend on tips for their income?

I think it was being said " tongue in cheek " and that the issue / problem is that RCC are quite willing to pay their staff a very low wage and rely on passengers paying for them.

You all won't have to worry about the tips being added daily to your seapass in the future.

When I booked my Vision of the Seas cruise for February 2015, I was told the tips are required to be paid at the time of final payment. This is a new policy because of the number of people not tipping on RCI cruises.

So, in a way, the tips are now being added to your fare along with taxes and port charges.

You all won't have to worry about the tips being added daily to your seapass in the future.

When I booked my Vision of the Seas cruise for February 2015, I was told the tips are required to be paid at the time of final payment. This is a new policy because of the number of people not tipping on RCI cruises.

So, in a way, the tips are now being added to your fare along with taxes and port charges.

Gratuities are added to your cruise fare and due at final payment IF you are doing MyTimeDining.

Gratuities are added to your cruise fare and due at final payment IF you are doing MyTimeDining.

Nope, they are added to your bill immediately when you book. We have done MTD the past several cruises and it is automatically charged to your bill when you book.

Nope, they are added to your bill immediately when you book. We have done MTD the past several cruises and it is automatically charged to your bill when you book.

Yes, but they are not automatically added if doing traditional dining, which is what travel bug is saying. They ARE automatically added if MTD chosen BUT NOT otherwise. And whilst it shows up on bill, payment due final payment date.

Edited by Spurschick

Booked Oasis for March 2016 and do not have to prepay gratuities as we are in traditional dining.

I think it was being said " tongue in cheek " and that the issue / problem is that RCC are quite willing to pay their staff a very low wage and rely on passengers paying for them.

As are most restaurants in the US and a lot of other countries worldwide.

On our next 2 cruises we have MTD and pay our gratuities up front. We will be eating in the specialty restaurants 90 percent of the time, where we will also tip extra. Logically, you would think we would want to remove most of the mdr tips since we will be there so seldom. Au contraire, I realize that those mdr servers will be serving me in the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Also those servers rely on the basic tip for their wages, whether you think this system to be fair or not or whether it is part of your culture or not. It is what it is. I consider this just a small part of the price of cruising. I would never give myself a discount at the expense of the workers just because the system is set up to enable one to do so. When I think what I would be tipping everyone on an individual service basis, the included tips are a bargain.

Mary Ann

Yes the cruise lines should be paying more $$$ toward the crew's salary. Until that happens, which I doubt will ever happen, they will continue to charge all of us additional $$$ for gratuities.

I guess some of you still don't get it as to why RCI has now added gratuities daily to your account if you opted out of MTD. The reason, because a lot of people were not tipping at all. Do you think you get it now or understand why gratuities are being added daily?

I will continue to add comments to every survey I fill out after every cruise I take, "Royal should not allow tips to be removed at all".