Tips for Jet Lag

jkw2765

I've traveled to Europe several times. Never been as far as Australia but hopefully this info will help.

First, while on the plane try and nap. Bring some ear plugs and maybe take a Benadryl or something to relax you. When you get there, DO NOT take a nap. Go out immediately and do something -- sightseeing, shopping, whatever. But that's the best way to get your body clock adjusted to that time zone. Definitely have an early evening. We usually go to bed, like, at 8:00 our first night. If you do those things, you should get over the jet lag fairly quickly.

on 2 different trips. I did all the things one is supposed to do such as drink lots of water, did not drink alcohol, eschewed caffeine, got out in daylight at my destination, got to bed reasonably early, etc. but I did not sleep at all on the planes. I was moderqtely jet-lagged for about 2 days as I can never sleep on a plane. For me, jet lag is just a part of world travel but it is not terrible. I take a 700+ page book and watch any decent films I have not seen to pass the time.

I never take anything that makes me drowsy or induces sleep. I want to be fully alert immediately should there be an emergency.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Some good advice by pkay414. But very much depending on traveling west or east and the time of arrival. Flying west is much easier then flying east.

If travel west and arriving afternoon/evening stay awake as long as possible.

Flying east and arriving in the morning you might need to get some sleep during the day. In general, adapt to the time zone as quick as possible.

I've traveled to Europe several times. Never been as far as Australia but hopefully this info will help.

First, while on the plane try and nap. Bring some ear plugs and maybe take a Benadryl or something to relax you. When you get there, DO NOT take a nap. Go out immediately and do something -- sightseeing, shopping, whatever. But that's the best way to get your body clock adjusted to that time zone. Definitely have an early evening. We usually go to bed, like, at 8:00 our first night. If you do those things, you should get over the jet lag fairly quickly.

In addition to this,when you try to nap on the flight try to time your nap to suit the Australian time zone. If you are arriving in Australia early morning, try to stay awake for a few hours after boarding the plane, then nap. If you're arriving later in the day, try to nap early in the flight and force yourself to stay awake during the latter part of the flight.

Also set your watch to Aussie time as soon as you board your flight.

Lets be honest, when you fly half way around the world nothing is going to totally deal with jet lag other then time. Sure, there are all the mythical remedies and good advice (like avoiding alcohol) but it takes a few days to fully recover from that type of trip. From Fl to down under one good solution is to take your time and perhaps stop in CA for a couple of days and then take a few days in Hawaii or another Pacific island. Otherwise, the best advice is fly over a few days early.

Hank

I don't really have much of a problem with jet lag, but I lose the first day.

Last year we traveled to New Zealand & Australia. Our first two weeks were in NZ so our flight was Los Angeles to Auckland, arriving Auckland in the AM.

I have never been able to sleep on a flight, never even a nap. So I sit all night reading in the relative darkness while everyone else appeared to be sleeping. It's like I get on a plane and I'm wired.

Once we were finally able to check in our hotel I was done until the next day. I really wish I could sleep on long flights but at this point if I never have, I don't think it is going to happen.

I really hate overnight flights, but since I love to travel I just chalk day one off as a lost day.

For the first time in 2013 we booked a cruise to eliminate having another long overnight flight. That convinced me to travel that way in the future. Fly one way and cruise back. So Sydney to Honolulu made me a believer.

We fly in First class so the problem is me.

snip....For the first time in 2013 we booked a cruise to eliminate having another long overnight flight. That convinced me to travel that way in the future. Fly one way and cruise back. So Sydney to Honolulu made me a believer. ....snip.

We fly cattle class so sometimes do have problems with jet lag. Agree the flight UK to AUS can mean you lose the first day. But we find that on an outward journey it´s not so bad as your excited with a new destination and with just an hour or so rst we are up and about then sleep at loal time.

We find the return journey grim, taking days to re adjust when we´re back home.

Our next cruise will be a repositioning, South America to Europe so hopefull jet lag will not be a problem

Sandy in Spain

This is an interesting thread. Really interested to hear everyone's tips as I am reasonably new to long distance travel. In 2007 (my first and only trip to Europe) we went via a two day stopover in Hong Kong. Everything was fine. Until we flew from Hong Kong to Paris (via connecting flight in Frankfurt). We arrived in Paris, dropped our bags off at a hotel, walked the Champs Alysees then returned early afternoon and crashed! slept 4 hours solid. We thought how silly, first time in Paris and we are sleeping it away!. So yes, any tips from seasoned travellers is gold! Thanks to the OP for initiating this thread.

I'm usually OK when I arrive at my holiday destination after long flights. I do notice that I get a bit sleepy late afternoon for 2-3 days, however I usually manage to push through it. Though I don't schedule much late afternoon sightseeing for those days just to be on the safe side.

But after returning home I am a complete write-off. It takes days to get back to normal and I feel dreadful for several days.

Thanks everyone for the tips. We are flying out of LAX at night, arriving into SYD at 6:20 am. We can't check into the hotel for some time. Hopefully we will all be able to sleep on the flight and then do some sightseeing when we arrive in SYD. The one benefit we have is that our first 2 days on the cruise are sea days, so it helps knowing that!

Thanks everyone for the tips. We are flying out of LAX at night, arriving into SYD at 6:20 am. We can't check into the hotel for some time. Hopefully we will all be able to sleep on the flight and then do some sightseeing when we arrive in SYD. The one benefit we have is that our first 2 days on the cruise are sea days, so it helps knowing that!

You will love Sydney! :)

I hope you will have some time in Australia prior to your first cruise.

If you are arriving in Australia early morning, try to stay awake for a few hours after boarding the plane, then nap.

Good to know. We leave LAX at 9:15 pm --my bed time--so I will stay up until after dinner service and then hopefully crash. I've never done it before but am considering taking an Ambien so that I do sleep as it's such a long flight. Thankfully we have 3 days in Auckland pre-cruise.

I go to Australia several times each year (just booked my next trip for August) and I've never once had jet lag going there. Arrive in the morning, get some fresh air and exercise, get to sleep early, sleep in a bit the next morning, and boom...I'm on the local clock. Never once had jet lag going that way.

Coming back to the US, though, usually kicks my butt. I get extra exercise and sun, and just kinda suffer through it with as best of sleep as I can get.

We had a similar flight from LAX to SYD; by the time we got through customs, got our bags, and got to our hotel, it was almost 9:30. We talked to the front desk and they furnished a place to store our luggage and promised to get us a room as soon as possible. We walked to a nearby restaurant for a leisurely breakfast and were in our room shortly after 11:00.

We're in the "Ambien" or benedryl camp - if my plane goes down on a flight over water, I don't think my state of wakefulness (or not) is going to make much difference in my survival. Plus, I only take a half dose and never have difficulty waking up when needed. We were able to sleep reasonably well on the plane, then also got a good night's sleep our first night in Sydney. I would not recommend Ambien, however, if you have never taken it before and don't know how it will affect you - a small percentage of people react very badly.

The other suggestions - stay hydrated, avoid alcohol, set your watch to local time when boarding the plane - all help.

I have always been told to try and sleep on the time you are flying to, even if that means staying awake with pro plus. Also to try and 'get into it' as early as you can so try and make your sleep patterns gradually earlier/later as you prepare for your flight. Obviously if this effects your holiday do not do it.

We are flying UK to Tampa in Aug and arrive in Tampa at 6pm (11pm UK time) and as I am a night owl and often awake at midnight this should be fine although I am a bit worried about leaving Los angeles at 7pm ( 3am next day UK) and not being able to sleep! We land 5pm which will be 9am LA time so itll be morning for us when its actually evening and we start our teaching jobs the next day..eeek.

Ah well....we are young so should hopefully be ok.

My experience is that each person is different.

I find that it is important to hydrate on the flight and to keep alcohol consumption as low as possible and to try to stay up when you arrive until nighttime.

Keith

Everyone is indeed different.

I ALWAYS fly Business or First.

I ALWAYS drink too much champagne on the flight.

I ALWAYS drink as much bottled water as I can.

I ALWAYS get at least 8 hours sleep on the flight.

I never have jet lag.

Heading to Australia from Florida, I never really have jet lag issues flying there. It's a full day trip to LAX so sleeping on the LAX-SYD flight is easy. Coming home is an absolute beast though. It takes me a good two weeks to readjust to US eastern time.

My usual jet lag tip is melatonin. It's a "supplement" in the US but a prescription drug in many other countries. Unlike most sleeping pills, it works to reset your body clock since it's the hormone that your body uses to make you sleepy. It really does make a huge difference adjusting to a new time zone.

That's actually the best time to arrive. Drop your bags at your hotel then get out and about. if you do start flagging mid-afternoon you could have a short nap to refresh yourselves after you've checked in to your hotel room, but set an alarm so you don't snooze too long. Then try to stay up until your normal bedtime. Try not to have too much caffeine after mid-afternoon either.

Try to dine somewhere where there is plenty of activity to keep you amused - Circular Quay East or both sides of Darling Harbour have restaurants with outdoor seating so you can watch the world go by.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Everyone is indeed different.

I ALWAYS fly Business or First.

I ALWAYS drink too much champagne on the flight.

I ALWAYS drink as much bottled water as I can.

I ALWAYS get at least 8 hours sleep on the flight.

I never have jet lag.

Lucky you! :p

I ALWAYS just like you do, am usually OK when I reached my holiday destination, and am totally wasted after the homeward trip :(

Flying to Australia from the US is fairly easy on the body jet lag wise as your aren't radically changing your body clock: you leave in the evening, fly 14 hours and arrive in the morning. Sure a whole day is wiped of the calendar forever but it's easy enough to sleep at the right times. I suggest staying awake for the first 4 hours watching a couple of movies, and then try sleep as long as you can.

Flying Oz to US is awful, you arrive in LAX 2 hour before you left and have to do the day all over again :) When I did it I made the mistake of napping as I was so tired, I should have just pushed through as it took days to recover. It's the only time I've ever had jetlag.