Tux or not to Tux

corballypaudie

sailing on liberty of the seas in oct., want to do one of the formal nights ..was thinking of renting a tux on board was wondering cost and whats included or would shirt and tie do .

I would just go with the shirt and tie.

You absolutely can rent a tuxedo and you will look smashing. You would be in the minority as most men do not wear a tux, but this is completely your choice. You order it ahead of time with your measurements, and it will arrive in your cabin.

Alternatively, you will see men in suits, and in dress shirt and pants, tie and no tie.

The rental information is on the website - here is the link for you:

https://tuxedorentals.rccl.com/tuxedo/tuxrental.nsf <--Tuxedo rental, click here

In my last few cruises on carnival, princess and royal I can honestly say that I have not seen a tux at dinner. (this is within the last two years)

but its your choice.

Majority of guys wear shirts

few suits even fewer jackets.

its not cruising from a few years ago when suits and tux were the norm

You may feel over dressed wearing a tux today

In my last few cruises on carnival, princess and royal I can honestly say that I have not seen a tux at dinner. (this is within the last two years)

but its your choice.

That's why my tux stays at home. I will however wear a suit.

sailing on liberty of the seas in oct., want to do one of the formal nights ..was thinking of renting a tux on board was wondering cost and whats included or would shirt and tie do .

As others have said it is not necessary but if you do rent one RCI charges $89 - $99 (based on options) per the link provided, but you then have it for both formal nights.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Myself, I dress with what I feel comfortable with. I usually wear a jacket to dinner (even on Carnival) on a regular night and on elegant night a dinner jacket or tux. I like to complement my wife's manner of dress.

Edited by hbrote

but its your choice.

Even on Carnival everyone wears a shirt in the dining room every night.

I don't know which shops you have near you, but Asda and Matalan have been known to sell cheap dinner jackets for under £20...say €22....which would be a saving for you; try a large supermarket, or e-bay. ;)

Tux looks nice, on formal nights, I would go to a rental place by your homeand buy a used one & take along very cheap that way. Other stores have sails at around $100.or so.

I usually take my tuxedo, my dinner jacket and my mess-dress blues. But that's me.

As I'm sure you have realized from the previous posts, you don't have to werar a tux. You can easily get away with a dress shirt and tie, or even no tie . . .

It won't really matter to your fellow cruisers.

But, she will probably want to dress up and this is your chance to show off just how beautiful she is, even if only in your eyes.

So, make the effort. Show the rest of the ship how special she is to you. That you aren't dressing up for you, you're dressing up for her! After all she does for you, it's the least you can do for her.

Edited by Calgon1
'cause I can't spell

I use to take a tux with me. The last cruise I didn't take any dressy clothes, so I was reluctant to go to the formal nights in just dockers and a button up shirt, so ended up in the buffet for dinner instead. That was a bummer for my wife. So....

Next cruise I will take at least something that is dressy.

I use to take a tux with me. The last cruise I didn't take any dressy clothes, so I was reluctant to go to the formal nights in just dockers and a button up shirt, so ended up in the buffet for dinner instead. That was a bummer for my wife. So....

Next cruise I will take at least something that is dressy.

Or you could go to a Specialty restaurant in your dockers and a golf shirt which your wife might find very enjoyable. :)

LuLu

LuLu hi, that's a good idea.:)

A funny thing about being overdressed vs underdressed.

On a NCL cruise, I had my tux on and my wife wore a formal evening gown. We head out to dinner and EVERYONE we pass is wearing shorts and t-shirts.

My wife was uncomfortable being overdressed, but I was OK with it myself.

Last cruise, we were both a bit under dressed, my wife was OK with that, but I felt out of place.

So I guess it depends on the person and of course just how formal or informal the ship is.

DH wore a Tux on over 140 cruises. But in 2013 we were on one of usual long repositioning cruises that we had done a few years -- same ship -- and we noticed that there were very few tuxedos.

When we got home, DH retired his Tux to the back of a closet. Went shopping for a new suit and a couple of jackets and newer dress shirts and newer slacks and ties.

Hear you KK!

DH will not be taking his tuxedo on any cruise line again.

He'll wear it at home from time to time which is way less than it once was.

What he will be wearing on Formal Nights is a pair of light gray dress pants, with a white golf shirt, and a navy sports coat.

Since we normally have dinner in specialty restaurants anyway, this works out just fine. Amazing how things have changed!

LuLu