The riff raff invade the neptune suites

BumperII

Loved your review of the Neptune Suites! Thanks for making my day!

We usually book an SS-SY but are traveling with our family of five in two suites on the Ryndam this month. Our group includes my husband and I, my mother, and our two teenage children and, quite frankly, we booked it for the real estate since we are going to be on the ship for two weeks. At least there is some consolation in knowing that my football player son will eat seven times a day. Has anyone ever been banned from the Neptune Lounge for excessive food consumption?

My kids have been very, very blessed to go on cruises with Grandma from a young age, but it is a major come down to travel without her. After our children's first cruise with her on HAL to Alaska, we had to explain why "Mom and Dad's hotel" (Holiday Inn Express in Nebraska) didn't have the same amenities as "Grandma's hotel" (Pan Pacific in Vancouver.)

When they're backpacking through Europe in college, I know they'll have wonderful memories of traveling with Grandma in a Neptune Suite!

But, I must admit that I"ve long considered living it up on at least one cruise.

And we're going to do it on our upcoming Princess cruise around the British Isles in August. We just celebrated our 50th anniversary;

At any rate, I felt that she deserved a mini-suite after she so graciously put up with a $74 honeymoon.

This is the same itinerary my wife wants us to do on our anniversary. I hope you will post your review when you return. Although it will be a couple of years before we go on the British Isles cruise, I would be very interested in reading about your experiences.

It is a technique practiced by our local newspapers, formerly known as yellow journalism. They tell me Hemmingway was a master of understatement; I am cursed with a penchant for sarcasm.

I found your review instructive and very well written. Anyone who can consider finding the corkscrew a phisolophical moment must not be a boring sailing companion .

As for the rule about not mentionning price paid for cabin, I will put that in my cruise étiquette handbook. But I do have to admit that I don't really understand why. Is is a surprise to anyone that prices vary so much, even between different TA for the same sailing, that there can be huge differences ? I even wonder sometimes if two people on the ship pay the same price for the same category cabin ! And for someone else getting a better deal, I'd be really happy to hear about that, knowing it is possible I would then have hope to enjoy it myself oneday ( I am pathetically optimist ). I happend to own a very nice car. If I met someone that has the same car but won it in a lottery I would find that exciting. My jaw would stay very relaxed ;) and I would keep on chatting with him.

Good things come in three, enjoy your next upgrade !

Happy sailings !

Edited by Sailingpeace

"Did I mention that mini bar? There were three 350 ml bottles of white wine in the refrigerator and one red on the counter top. On the twelfth of the second cruise we noticed a small knob protruding from one of the mirrors. This was a moment of great social and philosophical importance. We found the cork screw. "

Bumper, re the above section from your review. The bottles of wine you mentioned, are they complimentary? You also mentioned a "stocked mini-bar" - is that complimentary or for a fee.

We are sailing the Zaandam in 8 days in a Neptune Suite and want to be sure we don't come across as "riff-raff". :D

Any other words of wisdom you can give us for our first experience of a suite would be much appreciated.

"Did I mention that mini bar? There were three 350 ml bottles of white wine in the refrigerator and one red on the counter top. On the twelfth of the second cruise we noticed a small knob protruding from one of the mirrors. This was a moment of great social and philosophical importance. We found the cork screw. "

Bumper, re the above section from your review. The bottles of wine you mentioned, are they complimentary? You also mentioned a "stocked mini-bar" - is that complimentary or for a fee.

We are sailing the Zaandam in 8 days in a Neptune Suite and want to be sure we don't come across as "riff-raff". :D

Any other words of wisdom you can give us for our first experience of a suite would be much appreciated.

When you check out your bar, you will find that the sparkling wine and one bottle of water are marked as complimentary. The rest of that stuff is inventoried on the last day of the cruise, and anything you use is added to you bar bill. The only things we used were two bottles of Perrier and we were charged about $8.00.

There is a large champagne ice bucket. The room steward kept if filled with ice. My favorite adult beverage is not a big seller and none of the bars had it stocked. The hotel manager had a six pack delivered to the stateroom and that became our beer cooler.

Good manners are always the order of the day. Show respect for your stewards and consierge, and they quite literally will give you the whole damn ship.:D

Thanks for your review.

One cruise I opened the bottle of sparkling wine, it tasted so horrible, that I poured the remainder of the bottle down the dressing room sink, then worried that the wine would erode the drain pipes:D

Thanks for sharing your review. We would never consider paying full price, or even half price, for a Neptune Suite but would certainly consider a decent upsell. For us, a suite is a terrible waste of money that we can use elsewhere. We once calculated that we generally spend less then 3 waking hours a day (often a lot less) in our cabin. It is difficult to justify the price differential for a Neptune suite considering how little we would use the extra space. This brings up an interesting pricing issue (at least for us). No matter what cabin we get on a HAL ship, we are going to eat the same food, enjoy the same public rooms (with the exception of the Neptune Lounge) and have the same entertainment. Rather then paying the huge differential for a HAL suite we think it makes more sense to book a cruise on one of the Ultra-Luxury lines (we have done this a few times). For less then the price of a Neptune Suite we then get much better food, nicer overall onboard amenities, and the huge space ratios only found on the ultra-luxury line. I guess it goes to our overall philosophy of preferring to have one of the lesser expensive cabins on and Ultra-Luxury line vs one of the most expensive cabins on a Mass Market line. Yes, we do like HAL and will continue to cruise this line. But having met a few of the "ultra luxury" lines we can emphatically say that HAL is not even close.

Hank

I'm relatively new here. Could someone identify who the ultra luxury lines are?

Thanks for your review.

One cruise I opened the bottle of sparkling wine, it tasted so horrible, that I poured the remainder of the bottle down the dressing room sink, then worried that the wine would erode the drain pipes:D

I think our friend poured it in the toilet because it tasted like someone had already drank it once.

I'm relatively new here. Could someone identify who the ultra luxury lines are?

Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea to name a few.

I don't think Oceania is considered ultra luxury nor Azamara but are certainly supposed to be higher quality

When you check out your bar, you will find that the sparkling wine and one bottle of water are marked as complimentary. The rest of that stuff is inventoried on the last day of the cruise, and anything you use is added to you bar bill. The only things we used were two bottles of Perrier and we were charged about $8.00.

There is a large champagne ice bucket. The room steward kept if filled with ice. My favorite adult beverage is not a big seller and none of the bars had it stocked. The hotel manager had a six pack delivered to the stateroom and that became our beer cooler.

Good manners are always the order of the day. Show respect for your stewards and consierge, and they quite literally will give you the whole damn ship.:D

Thanks Bumper. Much appreciated.

One of the things in the Neptune Suite that I was not fond of was the sofa. It is leather and rather difficult to sit comfortably without sliding off. Not the best position to relax and read for a bit:o

Terry

As for the rule about not mentionning price paid for cabin, I will put that in my cruise étiquette handbook. But I do have to admit that I don't really understand why. Is is a surprise to anyone that prices vary so much, even between different TA for the same sailing, that there can be huge differences ? I even wonder sometimes if two people on the ship pay the same price for the same category cabin ! And for someone else getting a better deal, I'd be really happy to hear about that, knowing it is possible I would then have hope to enjoy it myself oneday ( I am pathetically optimist ).

Not everyone is an optimist, nor looks at life through rose-colored glasses. Some just have the green eyes of jealousy.

I learned a long time ago that a good answer to the question of how much I paid for my cabin is "If I tell you that one of us will be very unhappy, so let's talk about something else". ;)

Did you know that (on most HAL ships) you can exchange that bottle of bubbly (which I also think is not very good) for another bottle of HAL's house wine, or bottles of soda or water? Just check with the Neptune staff.

DaveOKC

I DID know! I did know...but since I don't drink I never even think to turn it in for something else...I'd like to say that I will remember next time but I probably won't...

Thanks for your review.

Some of the crew in all of the ships call that stuff "Chateau Migraine". I think it's weaponized!

On our last cruise my mom and I got on the elevator and pressed our floor ( a low floor, inside cabin). There was a very nicely dressed woman in the elevator getting off on the Penthouse floor. She looked at us as we hit our floor and made remark...Oh you are traveling in the dungeon. With a big ole smile I responded, yes maam we are and we get into port the same time you do. The doors open and she got off on her floor without another word.

Love it! You also get the same view of the ocean, the same deck, dining room and if you want to pay extra, the same speshul dining room.

If HAL didn't want the "riff raff" they wouldn't sell those rooms and go half empty.

Not everyone is an optimist, nor looks at life through rose-colored glasses. Some just have the green eyes of jealousy.

I learned a long time ago that a good answer to the question of how much I paid for my cabin is "If I tell you that one of us will be very unhappy, so let's talk about something else". ;)

good way to put it!

The only reason I would want to know about lower fare would be learn how to manage getting one. I am paying what was reasonable for me when I booked and would have been happy there [but am glad the upsell fairy paid a visit!!]. I have a good friend who manages to get great deals on cruises out of Galveston/Houston and that will likely be my next/future cruising.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, although I admit to being a bit perturbed at the thought that some people still consider it polite to inquire as to how much somebody else paid...for anything and that there is still the attitude that some are better than others, just because. The OP used the term riff-raff which implies that they didn't measure up, or were made to feel this way. This is disturbing in itself.

I know it is tongue-in-cheek and I appreciate all the advice and good points mentioned it this thread. But on day I hope NOT to feel like riff-raff it I am lucky enough to sail in a Neptune Suite. I guess this is my secret fear.:o

1. Suite passengers reception we always go to them -- but on recent cruises on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- we were only invited to the first one the first week of the Collector's cruise.

2. Captains toast we don't go to those any more -- don't like the cheap sparking wine

3. Wine tasting sometimes we go to the wine tasting

4. Mariners reception we go -- but don't like the cheap sparkling wine so don't accept it -- and we haven't gone to the brunch in quite some time

5. Art Auction we don't go to them

6. Captain's reception in the crows nest Also known as the VIP party -- sometimes we are invited and sometimes we are not

7. Cruise Critic Meet and Greet I don't even join the Roll Calls anymore. A couple that I did attend -- just coffee, tea, ice water and cookies.

Thank you for explaining.

Mini Bar prices -- they may have gone up (again) since I took this picture.

WesterdamShipPictures021_zps4b75d150.jpg

One of the things in the Neptune Suite that I was not fond of was the sofa. It is leather and rather difficult to sit comfortably without sliding off. Not the best position to relax and read for a bit:o

Terry

Amen to this! The sofa is not comfortable at all, and you're right, you slide all over!

With regard to the matter of discussing cruise prices, we never do that. However, we have, on occasion, commented that we've taken advantage of an upsell.

Curious if folks here would consider if mentioning "upsell" would be considered inappropriate?

With regard to the matter of discussing cruise prices, we never do that. However, we have, on occasion, commented that we've taken advantage of an upsell.

Curious if folks here would consider if mentioning "upsell" would be considered inappropriate?

Yes, I would consider it inappropriate. Any mention of the price or of getting a great deal may be perceived as your boasting. Also, many people believe that treating people fairly means treating them equalling. Learning of an upsell opportunity that they were not offered may leave people feeling less than about their cruise or about themselves.

Loved and laughed my way through this whole thread! We lucked out with HAL once and were given a last minute, pay for, upgrade to a suite. Needless to say, this is not how we normally travel, but the suite was lovely as well as all the amenities. Without thinking I walked into the neptune lounge, just to get a drink and little snack, and was wearing a Carnival tee-shirt. A fellow passenger approached me and demanded to know why I would be wearing "that tee-shirt." Not really feeling I needed to offer an explanation, I simply said, well Carnival does own HAL! Just so you know, we do enjoy HAL a lot, but we also travel on other lines too and we "poor folk" are perfectly fine in just a plain balcony cabin. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE