First time cruisers! Royal or Carnival?

haylee1202

Hi, my husband and I are planning our first vacation alone. We have decided to leave the kiddo behind on this one (they probably won't be happy, but everyone needs some alone time at some point ha)

We are a younger couple (27 and 32), we are looking at two different cruises and cruise lines and need your help to decide. We aren't looking for a party just a nice quick get-a-way.

Here are our options:

Carnival Sensation: 4 night Bahamas leaving on March 15, 2015 - ports: freeport and Nassau - current price for interior porthole w/ prepaid grats $935.58

Enchantment of the Seas (Royal): 4 night Bahamas leaving on March 16, 2015- ports: Nassau and Coco Cay - current price for interior w/ prepaid grats $974.74

So my ultimate question is which would you recommend for us and why? Thanks in advance :)

Congrats on your first cruise. Everyone has an opinion on cruise lines.

Mine is.....RCCL.

Carnival is more of a "party" type atmosphere and there will be more children....AND Coco Cay is a MUCH better port than Freeport or Nassau.:o

I just realized you are going in March. This is spring break....so BOTH ships will have a lot of kids.

Edited by champagne123
xxxx

Mine is.....RCCL.

Carnival is more of a "party" type atmosphere and there will be more children....AND Coco Cay is a MUCH better port than Freeport or Nassau.:o

I just realized you are going in March. This is spring break....so BOTH ships will have a lot of kids.

I agree, RCCL for me as well.

Hi, my husband and I are planning our first vacation alone. We have decided to leave the kiddo behind on this one (they probably won't be happy, but everyone needs some alone time at some point ha)

We are a younger couple (27 and 32), we are looking at two different cruises and cruise lines and need your help to decide. We aren't looking for a party just a nice quick get-a-way.

Here are our options:

Carnival Sensation: 4 night Bahamas leaving on March 15, 2015 - ports: freeport and Nassau - current price for interior porthole w/ prepaid grats $935.58

Enchantment of the Seas (Royal): 4 night Bahamas leaving on March 16, 2015- ports: Nassau and Coco Cay - current price for interior w/ prepaid grats $974.74

So my ultimate question is which would you recommend for us and why? Thanks in advance :)

Have cruised both...first of all, as mentioned earlier, this might be Spring Break- are you ready for LOTS of kids & teens running around creating chaos & very noisy? Much prefer the Enchantment- bigger, newer, more perqs like Chops ( don't miss for a special dinner w/ table for 2 over-looking the sea!!) , and the Adult Solarium pool area gives you some solitude from the family pool area......can't help on the cabin, don't do insides- no cruise feeling in an inside..feels like a broom closet..balcony only way to go IMO...Coco Cay agreed nicer than Freeport or Nassau...really, try not to go at Spring Break time- March & April will be more $$ and the only "getaway" you will be doing is trying to get away from all the crazy kids running around..you have been warned,LOL...

Big Al

I too, would go for RCCL. But if you want party, Carnival is your pick. The demographics for Carnival are geared towards the younger crowd. We are in our mid 50's. Although age is not an indication of the type of relaxation you need. We just prefer a quieter, yet fun-loving crowd.

Edited by Kayaktom
Added more verbiage.

RCCL hands down.

We've sailed with RCCL three times and decided to try Carnival last summer because the price was much lower.... Never again!! We learned our lesson!!! You definitely get what you pay for!

We are about you all's age too... 31 and 32.

I would expand the search to include Princess or Azamara. I would also reconsider the time frame. It seems that a romantic cruise without kids is what you seek. Given the ships you named and time frame you are considering, I'm afraid that your experience will be far from what you desire.

Mine is.....RCCL.

Yeah, Spring Break is our only option. Our son will be out of school and we will have a sitter for both of the kids. I am prepared for kids that week :-/. With that said you will still go RCCL? Thanks for the reply :)

Spring Break for college also. 4 day cruises also draw a more enthusiastic crowd also.

I'm in my late 50's and find that both cruiselines are more alike than they are different.

I've been on a 7 day spring break cruise, and found that while the kids had a very good time, I didn't see any idiots. I also did a 3 day cruise, non spring break, and saw a few people (young and old) who were trying to put a whole summer vacation into the 3 days.

If these are the only options,,, the mine would be based on ports. Coco Cay and Nassau win.

Edited by klfrodo

We could actually go on Fall Break the week of October 12. Would you all recommend this? Let me clarify by no partying I mean we won't be partying :) It doesn't bother me if others do and I am prepared for kids (just as long as they aren't our responsibility for a week, we're golden:) ) The price for March seemed pretty decent but I am new to this. Under $1000 for a 4 night doesn't seem bad :confused:

So new question is; would you wait and do October?

And, it seems the majority is RCCL so that's definitely where we are leaning

Thanks a bunch for the replies this really helps :)

We could actually go on Fall Break the week of October 12. Would you all recommend this? Let me clarify by no partying I mean we won't be partying :) It doesn't bother me if others do and I am prepared for kids (just as long as they aren't our responsibility for a week, we're golden:) ) The price for March seemed pretty decent but I am new to this. Under $1000 for a 4 night doesn't seem bad :confused:

I think there will be far less kids in the fall.

Here are our options:

As mentioned, that is prime Spring Break time, especially for a 4 nighter. But between the 2, I would book the Enchantment.

I would expand the search to include Princess or Azamara. I would also reconsider the time frame. It seems that a romantic cruise without kids is what you seek. Given the ships you named and time frame you are considering, I'm afraid that your experience will be far from what you desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My vote is RC. I tried Carnival and never again. Of course this is just a matter of opinion. Enchantment is a beautiful ship.

October is hurricane season so I would go in the spring. Keep in mind that spring break is at different times depending on where you live. It is always the first full week of April where I live. I have taken cruises the past 2 years at this time and both were wonderful.

If at all affordable spring for a balcony or at least a cabin with a window. An interior cabin is like staying in a closet.

Good luck in your decision.

Edited by Marie51

My vote is RC. I tried Carnival and never again. Of course this is just a matter of opinion. Enchantment is a beautiful ship.

October is hurricane season so I would go in the spring. Keep in mind that spring break is at different times depending on where you live. It is always the first full week of April where I live. I have taken cruises the past 2 years at this time and both were wonderful.

If at all affordable spring for a balcony or at least a cabin with a window. An interior cabin is like staying in a closet.

Good luck in your decision.

I've cruised from Port Canaveral three times, all in hurricane season, and never ran into a hurricane.

If you have similar options in the fall, I would wait.

First reason it will be much quieter on the ship with less kids.

Second, the ocean water will be warmer to actually enjoy swimming. Nassauu, Coco Cay and Freeport are all in the Bahamas and this means the north atlantic ocean. I March the water will still be qite cold and not very enjoyable. Some people will say that it is invigorating, I say it's bloody cold.

Yeah, Spring Break is our only option. Our son will be out of school and we will have a sitter for both of the kids. I am prepared for kids that week :-/. With that said you will still go RCCL? Thanks for the reply :)

Most definately.

I would do RCI on this trip, simply because Freeport is sucky. Coco Cay is a great beach day!

Otherwise, both lines are more similar than different.

Spring break doesn't make much difference on these short cruises....there will be partiers everywhere, on any cruiseline for a 3/4 day....just ignore the kids...they aren't yours, so you don't need to worry with them!

Edited by cb at sea

I would choose RCI or Celebrity. We sail twice a year - March/April and October/November. Prices are usually less in the fall. Enchantment is a beautiful ship. You might also consider Freedom of the Seas or Explorer of the Seas (also out of Port Canaveral) or Liberty of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale. But I think you will fall in love with Royal Caribbean whatever you choose.

I've cruised from Port Canaveral three times, all in hurricane season, and never ran into a hurricane.

I cruised from PC during hurricane season too and have not had a problem but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Hubby is 27 and I am 28 and we did our first cruise with Carnival last year (12 day Baltics).

We were looking at RCL,NCL, Princess ,Celebrity and NCL at the time and Carnivals dates and price were the best by far. We are booked with them again this year because we were so impressed by the relaxed feel of the ship and value for money for what we got. We do want to try the other lines at some point though as the other 4 look fab.

As we are quite young we did not give any of the older clientele/luxury lines a look as we did not want to cruise with too many older folk. The above lines supposedly have a more mixed clientele.

I would however look at a longer cruise than 4 days if you can as it isnt much more for a 7 day with Carnival.