Which flight to Florida?

VMax1700

Cruise is booked for early January, so going to Fort Lauderdale for new years eve and a couple of days retail therapy. :D So, I have two flight options from Ireland:

Option 1/ United from Shannon (75 miles from home) to EWR and then on to FLL. The positives for this are: customs and immigration pre-clearance at Shannon; arrive to Fort Lauderdale 4.15pm; We can use Luggage Direct service for return trip. Negatives are possible weather problems in NY area.

Option 2/ BA from Cork (home) to Heathrow and then direct to Miami. Negatives are: 6.30pm arrival to MIA followed by Customs and Immigration lines and then a taxi journey to Fort Lauderdale. For the return journey BA is not in the Luggage Direct service so we would have our luggage to manage until 3 pm check in.

So, which would you pick? Is weather in NY something that I really need to factor in?

Hands down ffl flight would be my personal choice. Easier airport to navigate. Miami can be a lengthy immigration process because it services so many intnl flights. Getting in at 4:15pm in fll wouldbe appreciated as you grab luggage and go. You would have most of the evening to unwind after a long flight. Miami flight may rssult in getting to your fll destination quite late. Miami is a lengthy taxi/shuttle, approx40 minutes in good traffic. though there are good transport options should you decide to take advantage of them. Weather could be an issue in nyc, but odds are in your favor that even if it is an issue, you would get out within a day. If I had my personal choice I would gamble the weather for the ease of fll compared to Miami. Luggage transport is a definite plus too. If you do choose Miami, you probably could get ship transfer to airport on departure, but obviously you are on your own when coming in early.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Edited by homeschoolmama

Re: the weather gamble...just keep in mind that bad weather in other parts of the country could affect your EWR-FLL connection, even if the weather's fine at Newark. Aircraft could be delayed getting TO EWR, or the crew etc. Given the lead time you're allowing pre-cruise, I wouldn't worry about it, just be aware that it isn't just New York weather that's a risk.

Why don't you do LGW to FLL on Norwegian? I'm sure you can get a flight in to Gatwick.

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/flight/lowfare/?D_City=LGW&A_City=FLL

Keep in mind that Norwegian's flights are only on Monday and Friday.

Did you see the winter the New York area had this year? The worst in decades!

So, you put up with some customs and immigration, not the end of the world.

Of course, if you need to be in first class on BA, then that is another story!

Also, Fort Lauderdale is only 20-30 min from MIA when it comes to option 2. So, you get in late to the hotel, big deal.

I live in this part of Florida, and I also spent 54 years living in the NYC area.

Thanks for the replies.

Loubetti - believe it or not, its difficult to get to LGW from here, possibly only Ryanair, which is problematic with baggage charges and max weight allowances. Also, will the Norwegian plan actually go ahead, as US legacy airlines are complaining bitterly of their plan of being registered in Ireland and using far east flight crew.

DW is probably going to make the final decision (well, I'll let her think she will ;) ) and her thought is that the Luggage Direct is the clincher. We have used it before and it is just so easy to 'forget' about your baggage until the home carousel. :D

Next decision is whether to go with a 45 minute connection in EWR (Term C) or a 2 hour connection.

Next decision is whether to go with a 45 minute connection in EWR (Term C) or a 2 hour connection.
Since you will pre-clear in SNN I would go ahead and risk the connection. There are three other flights after yours. I would just have the number for United handy and if it looks like your SNN-EWR is going to be delayed and you know prior to leaving SNN call them and ask them to "protect" you on one of the later flights. Be prepared with the flight and time numbers. Also if you do miss the tight connection and they tell you there is no room on any of the non-stop options then know all your other route options for getting there on UAL from EWR. Some other options include

EWR-MIA

EWR-ORD-FLL

EWR-ORD-MIA (then taxi)

EWR-IAD-FLL

EWR-IAD-MIA

EWR-IAH-FLL

EWR-IAH-MIA

when you are in a situation where you miss a connection be prepared to split up. A lot of times there may only be one seat on a flight so if you are able to split your party up (if traveling with kids split up the kids, or send the kids along with one parent. basically anything that gets you there.)

If your wife won't sign off on the tight connection, then EWR isn't the worst airport to spend time in.

One other consideration for the UA flight is realizing that it is on a narrow body plane, which many find can feel claustrophobic for a TATL flight.

Don't agree with the assertion that if weather causes a problem you will get out the next day. We were in DC in mid Dec trying to go to FLL. Our 9AM Sunday flight was cancelled and we did not get out until Tues AM. When there are weather delays the planes are flying so full now it takes time to catch up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I recommend using option 1 since you will be pre-cleared in the US via Shannon, so when you arrive in the US treated as a domestic flight. I have connected in EWR simple easy to navigate layout terminals for United. Weather will be a bugger though, so just make sure you have enough time.

Direct flight Option 2. Weather can be a killer especially at EWR.

Agree with this 100%.....Why take 2 flights (risk of flight and airport delays. a sea gull popps and EWR is backed up for hrs) when you can just take one direct flight? Just hop the BA flight to MIA and avoid the whole NYC area all together. I'd take a few extra minutes in the C&I lines at MIA over sitting at EWR any day of the week.

Agree with this 100%.....Why take 2 flights (risk of flight and airport delays. a sea gull popps and EWR is backed up for hrs) when you can just take one direct flight? Just hop the BA flight to MIA and avoid the whole NYC area all together. I'd take a few extra minutes in the C&I lines at MIA over sitting at EWR any day of the week.
There is no non-stop option for the OP. The OP stated that they would need to leave from Cork and connect in LHR to MIA. Personally I would rather get to the continent first then worry about the shorter domestic portion. If the OP misses the BA flight from LHR-MIA then they SOL, if they miss the domestic connection from EWR-FLL then there are plenty of options.

If the OP misses the BA flight from LHR-MIA then they SOL, if they miss the domestic connection from EWR-FLL then there are plenty of options.

The OP would likely also have options if they miss the LHR-MIA flight and not be SOL, as you say. There are other BA flights from LHR to the states every day. I believe there is even one to TPA, from which the OP could drive to MIA (rental car) if necessary)

I would definitely take the Miami option. EWR in January could be a nightmare, and I wouldn't take the chance. As others have noted, it could be several days before you get out of the NY area if your flight is cancelled.

Another factor to consider is where your plane originates. Just because the weather in EWR is ok the plane might not get there due to weather elsewhere.

How many days in advance will you be flying in? While weather is definitely a consideration, there are pluses to flying from the home airport and pre-planning immigration. If you will have sufficient time to get south 2-3 days later, it might be a good gamble.

That said, are there other flights from Shannon to consider? Ones that fly closer to where you want to end up?

Again, thanks to everyone for their input!

The plan is to fly out the monday morning 29th December for a cruise leaving fort Lauderdale on Friday 2nd Jan.

Although I worry about weather in EWR, there is also the possibility of weather problems in LHR and, I may be wrong, but I believe that as EWR gets 'weather' more often, then EWR should be better prepared for it than LHR. I know that East coast area gets badly bashed quite often, but it seems that it doesn't take a lot to put LHR into a tizzy and catch up seems to take a while longer.

I am inclined to agree with Nolatravelgirl, and get to Continental USA as the primary objective. We will travel to Shannon on the Sunday night so that we are 'in position' for the UA flight, providing that it arrives from EWR on the overnight trans atlantic flight.

Nolatravelgirl, I am aware that the UA flight is a 752, but we will be booking BF. Likewise, if we decide to fly BA then it will be CW.

Although I worry about weather in EWR, there is also the possibility of weather problems in LHR and, I may be wrong, but I believe that as EWR gets 'weather' more often, then EWR should be better prepared for it than LHR. I know that East coast area gets badly bashed quite often, but it seems that it doesn't take a lot to put LHR into a tizzy and catch up seems to take a while longer.
I've never done any scientific work on this, but my impression is that every airport that is liable to suffer from winter weather problems will usually have a few bad days every year when it doesn't work well. This happens independently of whether the airport expects dozens of feet of snow a year, or only a few inches a year.

The reason is that it's broadly speaking most cost effective to equip the airport to handle all but the worst few days each year, and that the extra money that would be needed to make sure that the airport can function every day of the year, even in the worst weather, is money that is not being effectively spent on that and which could be usefully put towards something else instead.

Personally, it would be the immigration queues at MIA that would frighten me off that itinerary, seeing as you have easy access to pre-clearance in IE, rather than the relative likelihood of serious weather delays. That could foul you up whatever you chose; you just have to deal with it if it happens.

Option 1/ United from Shannon (75 miles from home) to EWR and then on to FLL. The positives for this are: customs and immigration pre-clearance at Shannon; arrive to Fort Lauderdale 4.15pm; We can use Luggage Direct service for return trip. Negatives are possible weather problems in NY area.

Luggage direct is for US domestic flights only. If you are booked straight through FLL-SNN on one ticket you will likely not be allowed to use it. You may be able to do luggage direct for the first leg if the FLL-EWR is on a separate ticket, but you would lose the benefit of your bags being checked all the way through (after you check them in at FLL) if the two flights were on a single ticket.

Edited by fishywood

Luggage direct is for US domestic flights only.
Are you sure?

That is not what this post (and the following post) says (and Holland America is the OP's cruise line for the cruise in question):-

I am attaching as a PDF, and I hope it might be a better result. :confused: If not... I am so sorry. Is there anybody out there that can help me make it bigger?

Darn those modern technology issues, LOL! :mad:

[ATTACH]296565[/ATTACH]

Any help is greatly appreciated if these are still no good.... thank you! :o

[ATTACH]296566[/ATTACH]

(Images edited out of quotes, but attachment links left in. Click the viewpost.gif icon in the first quote to reach the original post with the images.)

Well, I learned something new today. I went and dug out my paperwork from my last HAL cruise and the form was the same (apart from not being in a Neptune Suite). Didn't mean to scare the OP. But this begs the question as to why HAL's corporate cousins, using the same provider, offer this service for domestic flights only...

There is no non-stop option for the OP. The OP stated that they would need to leave from Cork and connect in LHR to MIA. Personally I would rather get to the continent first then worry about the shorter domestic portion. If the OP misses the BA flight from LHR-MIA then they SOL, if they miss the domestic connection from EWR-FLL then there are plenty of options.

hardly SOL.....There are 2 BA and 2 AA direct LHR-MIA flights per day. Plus 2 flights to MIA via MAD. :rolleyes:

hardly SOL.....There are 2 BA and 2 AA direct LHR-MIA flights per day. Plus 2 flights to MIA via MAD.
Plus a Virgin non-stop.

And any number of other indirect routings.

And for flights departing from London (or any EU/EEA point) all airlines often have an incentive to get you out of there even if it means putting you on a non-partner airline, in order to eliminate or reduce any liability to pay 261/2004 compensation.

None of this changes the mess that is MIA immigration, though.

Well, I learned something new today. I went and dug out my paperwork from my last HAL cruise and the form was the same (apart from not being in a Neptune Suite). Didn't mean to scare the OP. But this begs the question as to why HAL's corporate cousins, using the same provider, offer this service for domestic flights only...

I have used it previously with HAL. AA/UA etc not codeshares. Only problem was that I was charged for bags, which are free on transatlantic flights. One quick phone call got me the charge cancelled.