Day #1 on the Way to Juneau

Crew News

This sea day was made for sleeping late and lazing. The number of children on this cruise is more than I have ever seen. They tend to give a new spirit to their fellow passengers.

I was approached by a number of teen girls wanting to know if I had six grand children or if I had a twin as they were on a scavenger hunt with a huge prize. The ice cream line is very long and the sprinkles disappear quickly.

I attended two cooking demos and laughed at the wit of the guest Italian chef.

Coordination was made and the first installments of the ship's lunch, dinner, and late meal menus (MDR and Lido) were received. Kids menus have also been promised. Bar menus are also on my list of things to scan.

Formal night was the least formal that I have seen. In my seating, early fixed, there was not a single tuxedo. Only 2/3 of the males even wore ties. It seemed that only a jacket was required. Attendance was just a bit more than half of the table seatings.

My crab appetizer was 1/4 of a king crab leg and very tasty with it being certain that next week, I will have at least two servings of the crab. My duck breast was perfectly cooked.

My MDR waiter was with us on the Zuiderdam last year as well as one of my menu sources, then the Assitant MDR Manager, and now the Lido Restaurant Manager here on the Westerdam. Hazel, Neptune Lounge Concierage, remembers us from our last trip on the Westerdam in 2012. The more you cruise on HAL, the greater the probability of seeing a crew member that you may remember.

Discussions with the Neptune Lounge about the breakfast items available brought the response that all items are now "served" rather than the previous self-help. I will try to get photographs of the breakfast layout but it is a long walk from my aft stateroom to the Neptune Lounge.

I turned in laundry at 7:00 PM and it was returned before noon the next day.

The end of the day began with being number 20 in the ice cream line to get a chocolate mint waffle cone before bed.

Thanks for the great report. We laughed out loud about the ice cream report. When was the last time you went on a cruise and hoped for a "high chance of sprinkles?" :D

It's probably not as funny if you're from the Philadelphia area or New England. "High chance of jimmies" just doesn't have the same ring.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!Have a great trip!

What ship are you on? For some reason I wasn't able to find that. (Sorry if this is lame question)

They are on the Westerdam, it's in her list of ships in her signature near the bottom.:)

Helen

They are on the Westerdam, it's in her list of ships in her signature near the bottom.:)

Helen

Thanks. I have my forum preferences set not to see signatures - eliminates a lot of scrolling. :)

Thank you for the report.

Hope you do get pictures of the Neptune Lounge -- Breakfast and Afternoon Snacks.

I have pictures of the breakfast setup that will be on my website soon. The only remaining issue in the NL is that passengers are not permitted to put there hands into the bread and rolls basket. An attendant, with a pair of tongs, will hand you whatever pastry/bread that you wish. Everything else is as I remember it.

Passengers are then responsible for making their own toast, buttering their own rolls, making their own cereal, pouring their own juice, and making their own coffee. Everything available is on display with nothing in the back room.

I will have pictures of the afternoon snacks before I return.

IMHO the Public Health issue on the Westerdam seems to be a matter of who did the inspection of the ship and documented a health issue in handling baked goods. It seems that any corrective action sticks with the same inspector. IMHO if a different inspector came aboard, the issue would revert to that of the other HAL ships.

FWIW the coffee machine has been calibrated, whatever that means.

Thanks Crew News for your review of the first day. Everything sounds wonderful. How's Joanie doing? If you get a chance tell Hazel we will see her in late September if she is still on the ship. Tell her Mrs. Hanke says hello.

Thanks Crew News for your review of the first day. Everything sounds wonderful. How's Joanie doing? If you get a chance tell Hazel we will see her in late September if she is still on the ship. Tell her Mrs. Hanke says hello.

Hazel is the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge just like she was when we met her in 2012. I will pass on your message.

I will have every menu used on this ship before I disembark to give you a headstart for September.

I have pictures of the breakfast setup that will be on my website soon. The only remaining issue in the NL is that passengers are not permitted to put there hands into the bread and rolls basket. An attendant, with a pair of tongs, will hand you whatever pastry/bread that you wish. Everything else is as I remember it.

Passengers are then responsible for making their own toast, buttering their own rolls, making their own cereal, pouring their own juice, and making their own coffee. Everything available is on display with nothing in the back room.

I will have pictures of the afternoon snacks before I return.

IMHO the Public Health issue on the Westerdam seems to be a matter of who did the inspection of the ship and documented a health issue in handling baked goods. It seems that any corrective action sticks with the same inspector. IMHO if a different inspector came aboard, the issue would revert to that of the other HAL ships.

FWIW the coffee machine has been calibrated, whatever that means.

Thank you

I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Message delivered. Hazel looks forward to seeing you again and wants to know if you will be in your regular cabin.