Have I Made A Mistake

chrismakris

My wife and I booked a cruise last January while onboard the Summit and upgraded ourselves to Sky Suite from a balcony.

My question is:

Will I now be spoiled to such a degree that the mere thought of staying in a balcony cabin will send shivers down my spine? :rolleyes:

Edited by chrismakris

My wife and I booked a cruise last January while onboard the Summit and upgraded ourselves to Sky Suite from a balcony.

My question is:

Will I now be spoiled to such a degree that the mere thought of staying in a balcony cabin will send shivers down my spine? :rolleyes:

Don't know...everyone is different. We've sailed in Royal Suites, Sky Suites, Concierge, Balcony and outside. Didn't spoil us...well, maybe it did. In many cases we would never pay the big premium for a suite, especially in a port intensive cruise. For us, it is about the journey, not the room.

Well, I won't kid you -- I've loved it every time we've sailed in a Sky Suite (get SO spoiled). But, one of the things I love about the Millie class ships are the hidden "gem" cabins -- like the "sweet sixteens" and afts. If I can book one of those, I don't mind not having a suite! :cool:

We don't spend much time in our cabin so extra space isn't all that cost effective. As long as we have a balcony so we can sit quietly (hopefully) and read, we're happy. Perhaps the suite dining may change our minds, but we're pretty happy with Aqua Class and Blu dining. We certainly don't need a butler or special area for drinks (michael's club)...we enjoy meeting people and we've never figured out why we had a butler we didn't need.

I think some like the additional space, for whatever reason (perhaps they spend a great deal of time in their cabin)....and others like the pampering I guess they don't get at home...it's part of the travel "aura" where you can feel like "queen for a day".

Not knowing you, there's no way to guess how you will feel after a cruise in a suite.

Our first cruise was in an OV, then we went for a balcony. Now, we can't go back, at least DW can't.

Don't know if a suite would be the same.

Frankly, I prefer to cruise more frequently in a balcony.

We had a Royal Suite on the Mercury a few years back, as a free upgrade, was a real treat, because we could not afford it on our own.

We use to book CC cabins, booked AQ class once on the Eclipse, decided to book a balcony on our next cruise on the Silhouette, since all the cabins are the same below the suites.

We usually book a balcony on the various cruise lines we book on... every once in a while if we book last minute, a balcony is not available, did an OV a few years back, had a great time.

So I guess the cabin while important is not a make or break for us, although we never book inside. We need some daylight to keep us happy.

Had suites a couple of times, wife and I realized we rarely spend time in the cabin and neither one of us are Butler people. When I'm booking a cruise, I start with inside and work my way up by being proactive. If there's nothing good out there, we are happy with the inside.

Had suites a couple of times, wife and I realized we rarely spend time in the cabin and neither one of us are Butler people. When I'm booking a cruise, I start with inside and work my way up by being proactive. If there's nothing good out there, we are happy with the inside.

We're always happy with an inside cabin. Had a balcony cabin one time, and don't need to do that again.

Yes! You are spoiled rotten. I can already smell it.

I got upgrade to a Penthouse Suite on Carnival. Didn't have the butler and don't thiink that I would like one. It was nice but it didn't ever made me feel inferior going back to a balcony. Never made me willing to pay the price for one as it was just extra space, and at my age I don't need that chasing my wife around the cabin. :rolleyes:

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

After having aft sky suite I am spoiled and do not want to go back. We have grown tired of the rush and noise of the MDR. Looking forward to new suite dining. We like cruises with a lot of sea days so the extra room and Butler service make it worth the cost.

Well, I won't kid you -- I've loved it every time we've sailed in a Sky Suite (get SO spoiled). But, one of the things I love about the Millie class ships are the hidden "gem" cabins -- like the "sweet sixteens" and afts. If I can book one of those, I don't mind not having a suite! :cool:

Sweet 16s? What's that?

- Joel

Our one and only Sky Suite was an S1 aft corner on S class. What a cabin!!! We were able to upgrade on that trip from a CC for just a few hundred $$'s total - what a deal. I was definitely spoiled and would love, love, love to do it again. Unfortunately since then (and it has been a few years now) Sky Suite prices have been WAY out of our comfort zone, and we have never again seen the GTY offer we got on that trip. And with the new suite perks I can only assume prices will continue to rise. Oh well - very fond memories. I'll just have to settle for a nice CC or AQ. Poor me:p

Edited by phoenix_dream

I used to only get ocean view - my thought process was why pay so much more to sit outside when there's a huge ship you can sit outside. Then last January we decided to splurge on a suite, which was also our first balcony.

I'll never go back - to not having a balcony. I've declared that if I can't afford a balcony cabin, I can't afford the cruise. The suite however...meh. We had a sky suite on Celebrity and aside from a few perks that you also get with concierge class, the only thing that was really fantastic was the balcony. I didn't really need the butler for anything a cabin steward wouldn't do for us.

Honestly, the room didn't seem that much bigger. A few months later we got a balcony on Carnival (non-suite) and the 2 cabins didn't feel significantly different.

We're back to Celebrity next month and booked concierge class. The price difference between that and the suite just didn't seem worth it. If there was a deal going where the price difference is fairly small between a balcony and a suite we'd likely do it, but otherwise we really don't need it.

My question is:

Yes.....enjoy

My question is:

Can't predict how it will be for you. As you can see from the replies, everyone is different, but as for us, we very easily and happily go back and forth between different categories all the time depending on itinerary, price, with whom we are traveling, and sometimes just the mood we are in at the time we book.

Sometimes we even change categories, for one reason or another, after we book.

I don't think someone can really be spoiled by a sky suite on Celebrity because it is not a real suite, but only one room that is somewhat larger than a regular cabin.

It comes with some extra amenities, that we can take or leave. The extra space is nice, but to us the rest is just fluff.

If you like having a bathtub, you will appreciate that a sky suite comes with a bathtub, but for those of us who prefer to take showers, the bathtub really doesn't matter.

We may feel differently after they add the special suite dining room next year.

For the present, however, as long as we have a balcony cabin in a quiet location, we are happy. When we book Aqua Class, it is only to eat in Blu.

It is the same way that we can enjoy a fancy hotel or restaurant, and then be perfectly content the next time staying at a Hampton Inn or eating at Panera Bread.

Edited by fleckle

Hi,

We always book concierge. Last year for my DH's birthday, booked a sky suite. We enjoyed it, loved the big bathroom, the extra space, the butler. But overall we are sticking with concierge because we don't think the perks are worth what you pay for a suite and with concierge and our Elite + perks, we are happy.

If you do get a good price, try it, and you will see for ourself.

Enjoy