Platinum to Elite is a Huge Leap

lovey1103

...I don't send the majority of my stuff and prefer DH doing it in the laundry machines ourselves.

I agree. The one time I recall sending clothes to a ship's laundry (on Celebrity), I had a new-for-the-cruise, worn-once knit shirt come back with a hole in it. No luck in getting reimbursed for it, either.

Any time they aren't making some money on a cabin it's a bad thing for Princess. The sale was great for passengers but awful for Princess. I was very surprised that there more 3-4 day cruises added given the fact that Princess couldn't give the cabins away.

I think the problem for Princess is that the people they were trying to attract to the cruise line by offering the 3/4 day sailings didn't view the sale as giving the cabins away. New cruisers or people who haven't cruised Princess before as a whole are not going to find getting a credit that they can only use on a 7+ cruise nearly as appealing as people who regularly cruise Princess. Even for people like me who have cruised Princess multiple times, the sale wasn't a good deal because I didn't anticipate sailing on a 7+ day Princess cruise in the next year.

It seems like a better strategy for going about the goal of attracting new passengers is just discounting the cruise fares for the short cruises. At least based on my recollection, the base fares that are being offered for the short cruises out of LA for this fall seem to be lower than the pricing for the same cruises at this point last year. Time will tell whether that strategy holds, but I'd be surprised if they had the same offer this year.

Any time they aren't making some money on a cabin it's a bad thing for Princess. The sale was great for passengers but awful for Princess. I was very surprised that there more 3-4 day cruises added given the fact that Princess couldn't give the cabins away.

RCCL in a conference call with stock analysts today indicated that Caribbean bookings are weak, especially for cruises 7 days long and shorter. They said Caribbean demand is highly price sensitive and is requiring a “highly promotional” environment there.

However, premium pricing for the Oasis class ships continues to be a bright spot for them.

Those are very god suggestions. I would like to see Princess establish Loyalty Points that could be used anyway the passenger chooses. I may use mine for a cabin upgrade, or to reduce my cruise fare, or for purchases in the ship' shops. Or toward shore excursions.

Great ideas....I would find these kinds of incentives much more meaningful....:)

Have you actually done the math on this? I just did. Inside. No taxes just a quick look. 31 SA $3279. 15 day Hawaii 1499 total $4778. 15 x $299 for a three day cruise equals. $4485. Do you really think Princess cares which you take?

Princess needs to fill its ships. Not everyone can be on a 31 day cruise. Repos need to be filled. Jeez who cares how someone else did it. There are always ways to speed it up if you want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The costs comes down significantly on a 3/4/or 5 day cruise if you apply sales incentive which they usually have, military OBC for husband and wife, previous cruiser, Share Owner's OBC, Future Cruise Credits, etc....you can get a California Coastal inside room for almost nothing which is not going to happen on a 15 day Hawaii cruise....:cool:

I think the problem for Princess is that the people they were trying to attract to the cruise line by offering the 3/4 day sailings didn't view the sale as giving the cabins away. New cruisers or people who haven't cruised Princess before as a whole are not going to find getting a credit that they can only use on a 7+ cruise nearly as appealing as people who regularly cruise Princess. Even for people like me who have cruised Princess multiple times, the sale wasn't a good deal because I didn't anticipate sailing on a 7+ day Princess cruise in the next year.

It seems like a better strategy for going about the goal of attracting new passengers is just discounting the cruise fares for the short cruises. At least based on my recollection, the base fares that are being offered for the short cruises out of LA for this fall seem to be lower than the pricing for the same cruises at this point last year. Time will tell whether that strategy holds, but I'd be surprised if they had the same offer this year.

Those seem like quite broad statements to offer. Speaking as a loyal Princess customer, I liked the sale fine. Fourteen days in a suite, 9 cruise credits, all for the effective cost of port fees. I was Elite already, so all it did was bump up my OBC a bit, and my credits were used on my already-scheduled trips this summer.

Princess filled, or nearly so, those ships. People spent money. They paid, for one thing, the auto tip every night which otherwise Princess might have had to make up to its employees. The jury is, no doubt, still out on the other side of the equation, how those credits passengers have will be used, if at all. But Princess got butts on board hard-to-sell cruises.

I am content that Princess is more adept at marketing than we are, and that its actions are taken for good reason.

The costs comes down significantly on a 3/4/or 5 day cruise if you apply sales incentive which they usually have, military OBC for husband and wife, previous cruiser, Share Owner's OBC, Future Cruise Credits, etc....you can get a California Coastal inside room for almost nothing which is not going to happen on a 15 day Hawaii cruise....:cool:

It's OBC. Do you spend some if it or does it come off your actual invoice? FCC comes off your invoice and it's peanuts for a 3 day cruise

It's OBC. Do you spend some if it or does it come off your actual invoice? FCC comes off your invoice and it's peanuts for a 3 day cruise

OBC is cash credit. Anything you buy on board is taken from your OBC. Any leftover OBC is refunded to you.

You OBC from FCC is "peanuts" as you said but, for a longer cruise it can be $125 PM ($250 for 2) for inside and OV cabins and a lot more, I don't remember how much ($200 per person maybe) for balcony or higher. At that point it is no longer "peanuts".

Edited by Thrak

All OBC does not come off of the invoice, and that includes the OBC for using an FCC.

Of course the cost of the FCC does come off the invoice, but not the OBC associated with it.

Military OBC per eligible person is $50 for cruises under 7 days.

Stockholder OBC per eligible cabin is $50 for cruises under 7 days.

FCC OBC is $15 or $25 (depending on type of cabin) per eligible person for cruises under 7 days.

So if both were eligible for military OBC, both used an FCC and stockholder OBC was involved, the total for the cabin for a 3 or 4 day cruise would be $180 or $200 (depending on type of cabin).

Did you really think I don't know what OBC was? I asked if they spend it

Sorry for misunderstanding your question. Much of it gets "spent" covering the auto-tip - at least that's where most of mine goes. What is left is nice for covering part of the bar tab.

Military OBC per eligible person is $50 for cruises under 7 days.

Stockholder OBC per eligible cabin is $50 for cruises under 7 days.

FCC OBC is $15 or $25 (depending on type of cabin) per eligible person for cruises under 7 days.

So if both were eligible for military OBC, both used an FCC and stockholder OBC was involved, the total for the cabin for a 3 or 4 day cruise would be $180 or $200 (depending on type of cabin).

That's what I am talking about....thanks for the clarity:)

I think the world does actually revolve around some of these people...

I think it is more that people would like to get their thoughts out and Princess has to get ideas from somewhere, seeing some of their more loyal customers asking these questions may prompt internal discussions--or not. But it cannot hurt.

All OBC does not come off of the invoice, and that includes the OBC for using an FCC.

Of course the cost of the FCC does come off the invoice, but not the OBC associated with it.

Correct me if I misunderstand and I often do. I think all OBC starts as a combined credit at the top of the invoice at the beginning of the cruise and charges are deducted from that and that the cost of the FCC is deducted as a separate charge from the CC on file.

Correct me if I misunderstand and I often do. I think all OBC starts as a combined credit at the top of the invoice at the beginning of the cruise and charges are deducted from that and that the cost of the FCC is deducted as a separate charge from the CC on file.

I think the confusion relates just to terminology. I consider the invoice to be the doc that has the cruise fare and is paid by final payment, and the on board statement to be where the OBC shows up.

I think the confusion relates just to terminology. I consider the invoice to be the doc that has the cruise fare and is paid by final payment, and the on board statement to be where the OBC shows up.
That clears it up a bit. My on board statement shows all my OBC as a credit at the start of the cruise and everything is deducted from that. My invoice for final payment from my TA shows a deposit of $200, which was my FCC. It also has a separate item showing my OBC. An invoice from Princess for a cruise I just booked shows combined Military and FCC and a deposit of $200.