Platinum to Elite is a Huge Leap

lovey1103

That said, Princess could have mitigated this by making Ruby/Medallion level fall between Platinum and Elite instead of at the front end. As it stands now your first couple cruises (blue for 1, gold for 2, ruby for 2, platinum for 10) you are constantly moving up the ranks every other and then a big gap of 10 cruises.

I was really surprised also that ruby was placed between gold and platinum instead of platinum and elite. There really should be a 5-10 and 11-15. It took what felt like forever!

I think we will likely see some of the benefits change--such as priority tendering. But although I am elite in both days and number of cruises, I don't begrudge anyone else enjoying benefits no matter how they got them.

I was really surprised also that ruby was placed between gold and platinum instead of platinum and elite. There really should be a 5-10 and 11-15. It took what felt like forever!

I agree. I think there was a lot of head shaking with Ruby was announced. Most lines Elite/Diamond equivalent kicks in after 10 cruises, not 15.

I know many of you think this, so please don't read this as attacking, but I am not sure what exactly makes it more fair? I see this a lot when making elite comes up, but I don't think anyone has ever explained it.

I get that for many of you, short cruises don't work. So, I'm glad they did the either/or as the airlines do. But I still don't understand why days are more fair?

Short cruises are open to everyone. I know for some it's cost prohibitive, but by the same token those 15+ day cruises are unfair to some as well. Many people who work can't take that much time off at once, so by days only would take many years to make elite.

(If you do the math, the break even ie days=cruises is at 10 days per, so people who can only do 7 day cruises really got nothing from the day addition).

So, my opinion is the way it is now is the most fair to most people.

By the way, unfair is Disney - you can only get certain annual passes if you are local to the park (florida for WDW and southern califonia for DL). I can't get those passes. That to me is unfair, benefits that aren't open to everyone. Short cruises are open to everyone. Long cruises are open to everyone. Some can only do one of those, but both get you to elite. Seems very fair to me.

Just my opinion - you are welcome disagree if we can agree to disagree.

Your point of view makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder if folks who complain about short cruises are retired and have more time on their hands to take longer cruises. I don't begrudge them a nice retirement; but I do think it colors perception. Upper to middle class working Americans, who can afford to cruise, work more than ever now and have less vacation time than in the past. It's sometimes hard for folks who enjoyed more traditional times to understand. No one's at home doing housewife stuff, which must be done AFTER you both work 40 to 60 hours a week. You maybe get 1-2 weeks off per year. You really need that relaxation, but you need it fast. I'm thinking this may have been part of the purpose of the short get-away cruises.

I have seen how the swelling numbers have clogged some of the lines; but some of that is how long Princess has been in business and how many ships they have sailing, making more members every day.

Happy cruising!

I think we will likely see some of the benefits change--such as priority tendering. But although I am elite in both days and number of cruises, I don't begrudge anyone else enjoying benefits no matter how they got them.

The problem is what perk(s) do you give the 11 to 15 group? Do you take an Elite perk and extend it to the new group? Free laundry and priority tendering are already overused at times expanding eligibility for one or the other will overburden the perk more.

To me the perks for Ruby are more sales gimmicks. To get the perk you have to spend money. If you already by the pictures, for instance, then you safe money. If you don't then you have to shell out dollars to safe 10% or whatever.

Adding a new super Elite would be easier. Make the requirement 300 or 500 days (Full disclosure, I have 525 days). They can offer things like a breakfast at Sabatini's or a specialty dining one night, more internet minutes, one or more free cocktails, etc.

The problem is what perk(s) do you give the 11 to 15 group? Do you take an Elite perk and extend it to the new group? Free laundry and priority tendering are already overused at times expanding eligibility for one or the other will overburden the perk more.

Bag of Laundry at 50% off. 25% off a Specialty Restaurant and maybe a free drink or two would be nice.

The fair way to do it would be by the number of days ... not the number of cruises.

LuLu

Agreed. Suites should also count as two cruise credits. I would however be happy with counting the # of days on cruises of 7 days or longer.....:):):)

Bob

To me the perks for Ruby are more sales gimmicks. To get the perk you have to spend money. If you already by the pictures, for instance, then you safe money. If you don't then you have to shell out dollars to safe 10% or whatever.

Adding a new super Elite would be easier. Make the requirement 300 or 500 days (Full disclosure, I have 525 days). They can offer things like a breakfast at Sabatini's or a specialty dining one night, more internet minutes, one or more free cocktails, etc.

Well said sir; I would also agree with this.....:):):)

Bob

There actually is one perk of Ruby that is worthwhile. If you purchase the Standard Vacation Protection from Princess you are automagically upgraded to the Platinum Vacation Protection. A small monetary perk but the only one that helps with something you (probably) are buying anyway.

Agreed. Suites should also count as two cruise credits. I would however be happy with counting the # of days on cruises of 7 days or longer.....:):):)

Bob

Love it. Screw the people that can't do a 7 day cruise but give me double...nice :eek:

I agree with you Paul ..

Or, they can remove some elite perks and only offer them to the super elites.

Be careful what you ask for. They could establish a super elite with no new benefits. It would certainly solve the tender problem and laundry problem if regular elites no longer had those benefits.

I think the fair way would be to eliminate the Captain Circle program entirely.

That possiblity is why I would never stay loyal to a particular line just to get to Elite or whatever. They can always change the rules, as the airlines have done.

I can remember scrambling to reschedule a trip when TWA, I believe it was, announced they were going to jump the # of frequent-flier miles needed for a free ticket after a certain date.

Edited by Ryndam2002

That would be a stupid move. The loyalty program benefits are one of the factors that we consider when choosing between HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. They are frequently the deciding factor.

That would be a stupid move. The loyalty program benefits are one of the factors that we consider when choosing between HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. They are frequently the deciding factor.

I think billco had his toungue firmly planted in his cheek when he made that statement. I can't imagine he was being serious. Perhaps he finds this whole long thread has run it's course and was simply being a bit sarcastic about eliminating the source of controversy.

Love it. Screw the people that can't do a 7 day cruise but give me double...nice :eek:

Maybe I should have made my point clearer. I would not be opposed to 2x credit for suites for cruises of 7 days or longer. I don't think it should be applied to anything less. I still firmly believe those who take the one or two day cruises to bump their totals closer to the 150 mark are gaming the system. Just my humble opinion.....:):):)

Bob

If they added a level between Platinum and Elite, what if any perks would those at this level get? If they get any of the Elite perks, that would just overcrowd them more.

How about the 10% off in the shops. It would probably get those who normally wouldn't make a purchase to buy on impulse and generate sales for the cruise line. I think that's what the were thinking when they created the Ruby status. It was a way of selling insurance.

I think billco had his toungue firmly planted in his cheek when he made that statement. I can't imagine he was being serious. Perhaps he finds this whole long thread has run it's course and was simply being a bit sarcastic about eliminating the source of controversy.
Guilty on all counts.;)

M I still firmly believe those who take the one or two day cruises to bump their totals closer to the 150 mark are gaming the system. Just my humble opinion.....:):):)

Gaming the system would be taking one or two day cruises to get more cruise credits.

Getting one day towards 150 when taking a one day cruise is not gaming the system.

The fair way to do it would be by the number of days ... not the number of cruises.

LuLu

The problem with this is for any loyalty program to work the customer has to feel that the rewards not only have value but are also obtainable. Not everyone is a school teacher or retired where they have enough time off to sail long itineraries so days sailed wouldn't compel them to buy into the program. Since most passengers have the capability of sailing a 7 day itinerary It think that one credit for every 7 days sailed would be fair and anything less than 7 days a 1/2 credit.

Gaming the system would be taking one or two day cruises to get more cruise credits.

Getting one day towards 150 when taking a one day cruise is not gaming the system.

I was referring to the first part of your reply. I do not have an issue with the second.....:):):)

Bob