Absolutely Awful Ideas for a Meet & Greet?

POA1

Everyone has to bring craft supplies that they find around the ship (stir sticks, dailies, etc.). Then everyone has to make some sort of craft....maybe their version of a ship on a stick.

The person who decides on the winning craft is the passenger who paid the least for their cruise (even better if they got it free!). The "judge passenger" then gets to keep the winning craft to give to their room steward in lieu of a tip.

Further discussion will ensue to determine who paid the next lowest fare (and who then gets next pick) until all the crafts have been distributed.

I think we ought to consider discussion groups at the M&G that can then report to the entire group. The discussion groups should be…

Rationalizing canceling the hotel service charge and not tipping anyone.

How to eliminate all HAL smoking restrictions.

Giving unsupervised young children more freedom on the ship.

Requiring formal dress in all dining venues at all times.

Eliminating the muster drill.

Eliminating the lifeboats so certain cabins can have a nicer ocean view.

Well, you get the idea. I’m sure we can think of some more subjects.

Scott & Karen

Here are a dozen Meet & Greet Name Tag ideas that did not make the cut the first time around.

1. The best thing about getting older is being able to butt in line and then pretend to be heard of hearing when someone behind me complains.
  2. I can't use the Cruise Critic 'ignore' feature here in real life, so please excuse the duct tape.
  3. Some people cruise for the dining & entertainment. Others because they enjoy the ports & the sea. Me? I just adore vacuum flush toilets.
  4. Thank you for your comments on my perfume! I was trying to go for that "two girls from the fragrance counter got in a skirmish and I was caught in the middle" effect.
  5. I love your Cruise Critic posts! I printed some out on special paper and carry them with me. You never know when you'll be in a stall with an empty toilet tissue dispenser.
  6. Whenever we leave the vessel, I make the ship's photographers post for pictures.
  7. My favorite part of the cruise? That's easy. It's when you get that first squirt of Purel hand sanitizer in the Lido.
  8. I (heart) Traditional Cruising. I just wish they'd get rid of formal nights, fixed seating, dress codes, and Baked Alaska.
  9. I judge people based on their food choices.
  10. I don't like confrontation. When there's someone I really don't like, I sneak to their room and add a double order of prunes to their room service breakfast card.
  11. Touch every roll in the bread basket. That way you can find the fresh ones.
  12. Can I join you for Happy Hour? I have a dollar and I drink the same thing as you.

If you have a doctor in your group, seat him at the front. Each member of the group must then publicly and comprehensively list all of their medical ailments.

The winner is the one whom the doctor judges to be the most lucrative patient.

I'm undecided about what the prize should be.

I'd like to make sure everyone at the M&G gets a nice button to wear around the ship that says "I'm from Cruise Critic. Please tell me everything that's gone wrong with your cruise so I can take notes."

:eek:

This happened to me, on the "Waterdam", er Rotterdam cruise with plumbing issues ;-) Somehow, Cruise Critic translated into "tell her ALL OUR issues!" (Believe me, I had my own issues!)

What about Truth or Dare, or Spin the Bottle.

I don't know.....They would probably hit you up for a corkage fee for the bottle , and they way things are today , the "dare" would be taken by someone as a threat and then Homeland Security gets involved :)

We used to really enjoy meeting other CC folks at Meet and Greats. It was fun, a good social occasion, a place to talk about the ports, etc. But then things started to change. Some folks wanted gift exchanges ( we used to do that in grade school), one time they planned to put on skits, some folks wanted to make long winded speeches, some became clickish, etc. we now avoid the things unless there is a specific reason for us to attend ( like meeting somebody about a private excursion). And when we look at the CC Roll Calls there are times when we know there is no way we want to do the Meet and Greet. I do not want to read about cats, dogs, dead relatives, illness....etc. on a Roll Call. When the posts are about the cruise and ports it does get our interest. But we will leave community organizing to Pres Obama, pets to the ASPCA, and social work to those who find that worthy.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 years later...
Let me start by saying that this is not a swipe at the OP of the other meet up thread. I'd be willing to bet that she was expecting a much better reaction to her post than she got.

Moving on to business - Please post your humorous suggestions for really bad meet & greet activities. Be creative. Have fun. Try to think of something cringe worthy that could lead to hurt feelings, smoldering resentment, and possibly fisticuffs. Your activity can be simple or it can be complex. As long as it it's funny, it's fair play.

I know that this is only vaguely related to cruising on Holland America and that some people will consider it a stupid topic. I'm okay with that. I just thought it might be a fun distraction from the summer doldrums.

Mandatory questionaire requiring that you list your full name ,address,social security number,bank accounts ,sexual preference ,etc.

(I know it's an old thread but can't resist giving it an updated go....)

How about a nice game of bingo -- $50 a card, the proceeds to fund the M&G organizer's private tours (giving him/her the opportunity to hawk them throughout the event).

First round prize: A vintage Lido buffet tray in near pristine condition. A real collector's item.

Second round prize: Full-size wraparound cover for your cabin door featuring Oprah -- complete with motion-activated sound so that every time someone walks by they hear "....and YOU get a cruise, and YOU get a cruise....!"

Third round prize: Contents of the (insert ship name)'s library -- they were getting rid of them anyway.

Based on a recent Rotterdam M&G: When going around the group to introduce oneself, take the floor and heavily push the private excursions one has planned and still needs additional people for. Once someone has indicated any interest, swiftly move to their side, monopolize them with additional selling, and ignore everyone else.

Medal show down.

LOL - I was standing at Guest's Services on a recent cruise on the morning of the Medal Award Ceremony. I was the only one there at the time.

Partway through my discussion, a parade of ship's officers followed by guests with their new medals went by us on the way to the MDR for the luncheon.

I commented that I had seen similar parades on other cruise lines. The young lady helping me asked what cruise line.

I said all of them but it was usually Pirate Night and staff were leading the kids in costume around the ship and then into the theater. At least on HAL, we didn't have to listen to the parade group sing before the show.

The three young ladies behind the desk choked and tried to not laugh (once did have to leave and go in the back because she was losing the battle).

Second round prize: Full-size wraparound cover for your cabin door featuring Oprah -- complete with motion-activated sound so that every time someone walks by they hear "....and YOU get a cruise, and YOU get a cruise....!"

Thank the Lord I wasn't drinking anything!!:'):D:')