Cruising to Ports in France?

WayneFougere

I'm trying to plan a 3+ week cruise the straddles April 21st. I've been considering "everything" (except the Panama Canal which we did this year); but, my wife just asked me to find a cruise with ports in France (the more the better). There doesn't seem to be many France ports at all and only one Mediterranean port in the Spring. Am I missing anything? Are there cruises with several France ports? Regardless of the time of year, what are the best ports in France?

Two different cruises we were on some years ago stopped in Honfleur. HAL offered very long day tours to Paris. They also had a great many tours to Normandie D-day Beaches. Honfleur is a charming port town.

I'm trying to plan a 3+ week cruise the straddles April 21st. I've been considering "everything" (except the Panama Canal which we did this year); but, my wife just asked me to find a cruise with ports in France (the more the better). There doesn't seem to be many France ports at all and only one Mediterranean port in the Spring. Am I missing anything? Are there cruises with several France ports? Regardless of the time of year, what are the best ports in France?

Le Havre, St. Malo, Bordeaux, Montoir-de-Bretagne (Nantes), Brest, Cherbourg, Le Palais, plus in the Med: Marseille (at times substituted by Toulon and Ville-Franche)

There are very few cruise ports in France. Obviously the most popular in the Med is Marseille and from time to time I've seen one or two other small ports but those are rare and very few lines stop at them. Having visited France frequently while I was living in Germany I'll have to say a land tour would be easier and would also permit you to visit some of the major cities and the country in general. Getting around by train in France, like most of Europe, is easy, comfortable, and not all that expensive even for upper class accomodations for the longer trips. I haven't looked at river cruising in France but maybe that's another option.

There are very few cruise ports in France. Obviously the most popular in the Med is Marseille and from time to time I've seen one or two other small ports but those are rare and very few lines stop at them. Having visited France frequently while I was living in Germany I'll have to say a land tour would be easier and would also permit you to visit some of the major cities and the country in general. Getting around by train in France, like most of Europe, is easy, comfortable, and not all that expensive even for upper class accomodations for the longer trips. I haven't looked at river cruising in France but maybe that's another option.

I was going to suggest River Cruising. There are currently 3 areas/rivers in France that you can cruise on, Seine to Normandy, Saone/Rhone - Paris to Arles, and the Bordeaux region. We are leaving in late August to river cruise. We really enjoy the unpack once, sit back and treat the boat as a moving resort.

The Prinsendam did a cruise last year that stopped in Bordeaux, St Malo and Hendeye which was a great itinerary. It went on to Spain and Portugal as well.

Edited by KirkNC

I was hoping for a Mediterranean cruise but might accept the other coast to please my wife. She'd like to immerse herself in a village with a strong French culture.

Port calls are too short for immersion, and rarely involve villages. You might consider a cruise sailing from, say, Barcelona or an Italian port but staying a few days in France first. There do not seem to be too many cruises embarking in France.

The Prinsendam did a cruise last year that stopped in Bordeaux, St Malo and Hendeye which was a great itinerary. It went on to Spain and Portugal as well.

And another one that stopped in St Malo and Cherbourg. A fantastic itinerary.:)

We did a TA on the Prinsendam two years ago and it called at Le Havre, Cherbourg and St. Malo.

From Cherbourg we had a small private tour which took us to Juno Beach and the Canadian Juno Beach Centre. It also included a stop at the Canadian cemetery. It was a very emotional day and we were all so glad we took the opportunity.

On the way back to the ship we stopped to view the Bayeux Tapestry.

From St Malo we went to visit Mont St. Michel. It was quite amazing and if it had not been cold and pouring down rainy it would have been a perfect day.

From Le Havre we visited Honfleur which was a charming place to wander around.

All of these tours were organised by Kazu who researches tour companies every way from Sunday before she hires one. I have to give credit again for a job well done. :)

We had a wine themed Celebrity cruise booked for last October that had several stops in France. However, after looking at the length of the shore excursions, we realized that the most desirable destinations would require excursions of at least 12 hours or more, so we cancelled.

As others have said, I would look into either barges, or river cruises as IMHO some of the most interesting cities are farther in-land. We did a river cruise through Germany and it was so nice to be able to step off the ship and wonder through the towns instead of spending hours on buses travelling to get there.

Edited by sandthrush

We have been to most of the French ports and have also spent many months just driving all over France. My advice is that if your wife wants to really see France, you should take a land trip.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to most of the French ports and have also spent many months just driving all over France. My advice is that if your wife wants to really see France, you should take a land trip.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly. We have enjoyed all of our cruises, but if you really want to see an area in depth, taking a ocean cruise is not, IMHO, the way to do it.

Port calls on cruise ships do not provide an opportunity to immerse oneself in a culture. You are in the port mere hours. If one really wants to become very familiar with a specific location, a cruise is not the way to do it in most cases.

Port calls on cruise ships do not provide an opportunity to immerse oneself in a culture. You are in the port mere hours. If one really wants to become very familiar with a specific location, a cruise is not the way to do it in most cases.

Of course that's correct; but, we're talking about compromise here. I'm looking forward to a cruise (hopefully in April) and my wife has expressed interest in ports of call in France. Her ideal port would be within walking distance of a small village or interesting neighbourhood in a larger City where we could stroll around and stop for local fare or mingling in a village square. We have no desire to take long bus rides anywhere.

Perhaps using the word "immerse" was over stated. We know how much time there typically is in port. If there aren't any ports in France worth visiting, one of us will have to reconsider what's more important on our next vacation.

I was hoping for a Mediterranean cruise but might accept the other coast to please my wife. She'd like to immerse herself in a village with a strong French culture.

We did a med cruise last year with two stops in France. From Toulon we did a nice day in Aix.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/497

On our stop in Villefranche we walked around town in the morning and in the afternoon went to Nice and Eze.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/564

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/626

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/668

We enjoy renting an apt. In Nice for a month and we will travel by train along Cote Azure to all of the areas. And we then follow to Paris and do the same!

Did a 24 day Med cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam a year ago and we went over to Barcelona a week before our cruise and then we traveled after we got off in Venice through out Italy and we rented a apt. In Nice and then headed to Paris! Wonderful! Doing Land only in Nice and Paris again in 2016!

Happy sailing!

3Star Mariner becoming 4Star

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam 3/15/2015 B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise

Of course that's correct; but, we're talking about compromise here. I'm looking forward to a cruise (hopefully in April) and my wife has expressed interest in ports of call in France. Her ideal port would be within walking distance of a small village or interesting neighbourhood in a larger City where we could stroll around and stop for local fare or mingling in a village square. We have no desire to take long bus rides anywhere.

Perhaps using the word "immerse" was over stated. We know how much time there typically is in port. If there aren't any ports in France worth visiting, one of us will have to reconsider what's more important on our next vacation.

In April 2015 Nieuw Amsterdam sals (26 days) to Venice - with stops in St. Tropez and Monte Carlo, celebrity Reflection to Rome stops in Nice. The problem with a compromise is that you usually do not get the best of either element.

Your best "compromise" would be to sail to Barcelona or an Italian port, the train to southern France for a few days, and fly home from Marseille.

If you want a compromise, there are several cruises that start in Villefranche. Cruisetimetables has a list. You could do a stay (stationary or travelling) on land and begin or end a cruise there.

Roy

I think you would have more luck with smaller ships. Last year, we took an Azamara cruise of the French Riviera in April. Docked at Marseilles, Sete, Nice, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo (0vernight), Cannes. Great ports. Took tours to Provence.