On the Star right now! Hallways plugged with carts.

masterty

Cruise Rader,

The time I moved it, I actually saw the person put it in the hall. This happened twice. I know that people putting out trays in the hall, not only are thoughtless, but they can and do put it near someone else's door. I had a near miss with this once, so I really get annoyed when I see someone do this. Another time I knocked on a door. Told the people they forgot something, and told them to bring it back inside.

Wow! Common sense!

WRT some of the other comments, many people consider themselves

blessed to simply be on a cruise.

If I were in a wheelchair/scooter, I would be a lot more peeved when

I couldn't disembark in a tender port...

My son wasn't able to get off the ship at Lahaina. He stayed aboard while my wife and I enjoyed part of Maui. It was a bit of a bummer but he knew in advance that he wouldn't be able to tender at that port.

Yesterday's picture a4yga7e6.jpg

To answer "where would you like them to put their carts when they clean your room" my answer is "exactly where every other room steward on each of my last 5 cruises did.....out of sight. " this whole dodging carts in the hallway at 11:30 is a new experience for me. It believe a sign of the times with skeleton crews and anytime dining. Off to Victoria.

Edited by masterty

I really see no problem here. Even if you have a problem moving around, which at times I do.

Just allow time for the handicap or even ask for assistance. Then enjoy the cruise. Things could be worse.:D

Some people that have such problems should be looking at a different type of vacation....perhaps at an all inclusive resort. :p

Exactly. No one is forced to cruise. If its not to your liking then don't do it anymore.

Yesterday's picture a4yga7e6.jpg

To answer "where would you like them to put their carts when they clean your room" my answer is "exactly where every other room steward on each of my last 5 cruises did.....out of sight. " this whole dodging carts in the hallway at 11:30 is a new experience for me. It believe a sign of the times with skeleton crews and anytime dining. Off to Victoria.

I'm still at a loss about why Anytime Dining is causing carts in the corridor at 11:30am.

Without a single additional visual aid, I can predict that the carts will be in your corridor from about 7am to about 1:30-2pm every day of your cruise, and again from 5pm to about 9pm. Because that's what we've seen on every one of our Princess cruises. If that's going to be a huge irritation, it's time to explore other cruise lines (HAL and Celebrity have been mentioned here) or vacation types.

What you're seeing is the way it is on Princess.

Sounds to me the stewards are trying to do their job in a more difficult environment of "skeleton crews and anytime dining." Not sure I understand how anytime dining contributes to the problem, but if I were on the Star, I would be mindful of my cruise experience as opposed to their cruise experience and stay out of their way. Edited by billco

Does anyone think that maybe a bunch of late sleepers are delaying the stewards from completing their cabins? I was told that if they can not access a cabin by either 1:00pm or 2:00pm ( I forgot which) they must call a supervisor to verify that the steward is not able to clean the cabin.

My next question is how many days are pictures of the hallway going to be posted? Surely there are prettier sights to behold! Yes, we acknowledge your pain, but there's not much that can be done about it at this time on Princess. Maybe the other lines that you mentioned are more to your liking.

Edited by Ethel5

My next question is how many days are you going to take pictures of the hallway? Surely there are prettier sights to behold! Yes, we acknowledge your pain, but there's not much that can be done about it. Maybe the other lines that you mentioned are more to your liking.

Snort.:)

Is there a cruise line that doesn't have carts in the hall?????

I saw none on a recent Holland cruise. Stewards worked in a team of two and had a hand held two section kind of basket.

But the carts on Princess do not bother me. We are not in the hallways for a long time and we like seeing our stewards. Carts are the signal that more pampering is getting done; fresh towels, ice for the champagne, the little chocolates are getting delivered...:)

I agree with the idea of not having them interfere with hand rails. Had not noticed that.

The carts are a safety hazard. Ships do sink and people do get trapped in theur cabins. I don't think anyone would want a bunch of carts in theur way when trying to get out of there quickly.

Even though that is a stretch, I will grant that on rare occasions ships do sink. However I would suspect that the cruise lines have protocols in place to deal with clearing the halls in an emergency situation (I know, I know. Costa Concordia, but, apparently there were bigger lapses in safety protocols than carts in the halls). I would worry more about missing flights, missing the cruise, or other travel hazards than I ever will about cleaning carts in the hallways.

Looking forward to December when I will see them again. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Oh my! I'm on the Star in two weeks and this has got me seriously worried!! :eek: How are we ever going to make our way around those carts???

Seriously, in all of our Princess cruises I have barely noticed the carts except to use them as a pleasant opportunity to say hello to the hard working room stewards when we pass. This all seems like much ado about nothing to me! :rolleyes:

I'm new to the Princess Board as I have only cruised HAL, Oceania, and RCL. We are taking the 11/14 cruise to Mexico out of San Francisco, this will be my first Princess cruise and am really looking forward to the new experience.

As far as carts in the hallway, HAL & Oceania do not have them, but I really was surprised at how everyone jumped all over the OP. They are unsightly, but he was just giving his opinion, he didn't say his entire cruise was ruined because of them. Actually, this is the first time I've seen carts in the hallway on any line I've been on, but I doubt if it would affect me either way.

The fact the Stewards have more cabins to do is also a huge factor and only exacerbates the impact of more varied dining times.

On my last cruise, my cabin steward was excellent, always working. I asked him how many cabins does he take care of & he said 15 cabins. I always try to help the cabin steward by putting the room sign out to let him or her know that I am out of the cabin.

Yes, we also find all of those carts to be quite annoying and seem to stay there quite a bit of the day! :rolleyes:

Fortunately, they aren't there when we return to our cabin in the evening.

LuLu

OMG have you got nothing else to complain about worth complaining

Cruise Rader,

The time I moved it, I actually saw the person put it in the hall. This happened twice. I know that people putting out trays in the hall, not only are thoughtless, but they can and do put it near someone else's door. I had a near miss with this once, so I really get annoyed when I see someone do this. Another time I knocked on a door. Told the people they forgot something, and told them to bring it back inside.

It really is none of your business......I would not get into a confrontation telling people where they can and cannot put their food trays....is this against Princess policy?

I spend little time in the hallway, just heading for an elevator, but gosh I see carts in the hallways in motels...does that mean i need to change motels?

I love to cruise and regardless of the line I am on, cannot say I pay attention to the carts, except it is an opportunity to say Hi to the hard working stewards.

Oh my! I'm on the Star in two weeks and this has got me seriously worried!! :eek: How are we ever going to make our way around those carts???

Seriously, in all of our Princess cruises I have barely noticed the carts except to use them as a pleasant opportunity to say hello to the hard working room stewards when we pass. This all seems like much ado about nothing to me! :rolleyes:

Thank you!!! I'm pretty sure this is how most reasonable people feel.

To the OP, I hope you never have anything more serious to worry about! Out of curiosity, out of your five cruises, which cruise lines did not have carts at any time in the hallways?

There are people with walkers wheelchairs and canes that have enough trouble walking on a moving rocking ship as it is. All they are doing is trying to enjoy their later years after a lifetime of hard work or a lifetime of hard work. They don't need these unnecessary barricades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Even though that is a stretch, I will grant that on rare occasions ships do sink. However I would suspect that the cruise lines have protocols in place to deal with clearing the halls in an emergency situation (I know, I know. Costa Concordia, but, apparently there were bigger lapses in safety protocols than carts in the halls). I would worry more about missing flights, missing the cruise, or other travel hazards than I ever will about cleaning carts in the hallways.

Looking forward to December when I will see them again. :cool:

If that ship starts to go down don't expect any protocols to be followed. What happens if god forbid they have to get a stretcher to your room quickly and all those carts are in the way? If thevship hallways were designed to have those carts there all the time they wouldnt have wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

If that ship starts to go down don't expect any protocols to be followed. What happens if god forbid they have to get a stretcher to your room quickly and all those carts are in the way? If thevship hallways were designed to have those carts there all the time they wouldnt have wheels.

Uh, yeah, whatever. Not my biggest worry.

I read your reply to my wife and she said "He is joking, right?" I replied "No, I think he is serious." We both looked at each other and shrugged. Like I said, I am more concerned about other issues when traveling.

Again, still looking forward to seeing those cleaning carts in the halls in December.....:cool:

On my last cruise, my cabin steward was excellent, always working. I asked him how many cabins does he take care of & he said 15 cabins. I always try to help the cabin steward by putting the room sign out to let him or her know that I am out of the cabin.

So do I, and try to be predictable as well. I'm out early on port days and generally sleep in a bit on sea days, but am out by 11.

I don't like the carts particularly, especially since I just had one right outside my cabin for 46 days. I saw no point in complaining though. All it would have done is cause needless tensions between me and my cabin steward.

That being said, this board is for the purpose of discussing cruising, and this thread is within that bound. There's no need to jump all over the OP. The carts do make going up and down the halls an ordeal sometimes.