On the Star right now! Hallways plugged with carts.

masterty

I can't believe the stewards keep their carts out in the hallways constantly. Clearly this must be a result of anytime dining. My last cruises I never saw the stewards except the first and last moment of the cruise. Now they are a fixture of the fabric. I see my steward 2-3 times a day and people can't pass in the halls with all the carts.

ba7ygy9u.jpg

I can't believe the stewards keep their carts out in the hallways constantly. Clearly this must be a result of anytime dining. My last cruises I never saw the stewards except the first and last moment of the cruise. Now they are a fixture of the fabric. I see my steward 2-3 times a day and people can't pass in the halls with all the carts.

ba7ygy9u.jpg

I've had cruises where they were parked outside my door the entire time. Not very pleasant.

Good God man! Run, do not walk, to the Passenger Service Desk and immediately demand that all cabin stewards stop using carts immediately and that they compensate you for each cart you had to walk by! This situation is just intolerable! :eek: Oh and be careful not to bump into the carts while you're running to deck 6 :D

(Tongue out of cheek) Its amazing what cranks some people up. :rolleyes:

Just don't get this complaint. Do you spend your time in the hallway? I am happy to see the carts because the stewards/stewardesses are diligently doing their jobs which we appreciate. It seems to make it much easier for them to say in passing that we would like an extra shampoo, etc.

Some people have nothing to complain about. Geez what the big deal it seems there is lots of space to pass.

i agree but maybe they are spending a lot of time in their cabin and not wandering around the ship

ba7ygy9u.jpg

I'm on masterty's side on this.

Those carts are unattractive, germy, and honestly look like a safety hazard to me. I expect DH and I would be walking single file every where. Heaven forbid there be an emergency and the masses try to get down the hall.

Are scooters even able to get by?

Really dread the thought of going thru an obstacle course every time I leave the cabin.

Edited by BananaAnna

i agree but maybe they are spending a lot of time in their cabin and not wandering around the ship

Well then, the carts shouldn't bother them. :p. I was on Star Princess a few weeks ago and yeah, the carts are there for a few hours in the morning and evening, but no big deal. Actually, I think that if folks would get out and about a bit earlier in the morning, the stewards would get done faster. ;) I know I was guilty of getting out of the cabin late some mornings... :)

I'd rather see carts in the halls than a mess in my room, but I can see why it would be annoying for them to be there ALL the time. We saw our steward most days on our last cruise, and never on the previous two. Either way was fine with me.

I'd rather see carts in the halls than a mess in my room, but I can see why it would be annoying for them to be there ALL the time. We saw our steward most days on our last cruise, and never on the previous two. Either way was fine with me.

They are not there all the time.

I agree that this isn't the most pleasant thing about Princess. I prefer the way HAL does it, where stewards work out of a locker (and have an assistant too). But, honestly, as much as I dislike the carts, I liken them to a fly buzzing around. They're more annoying if I allow them to be, so I don't.

I hope you find pleasure in your cruise and take time to appreciate the excellent service these people work so hard to provide. I can't imagine them trying to get their work done without the carts.

I'm on masterty's side on this.

Those carts are unattractive, germy, and honestly look like a safety hazard to me. I expect DH and I would be walking single file every where. Heaven forbid there be an emergency and the masses try to get down the hall.

Are scooters even able to get by?

Really dread the thought of going thru an obstacle course every time I leave the cabin.

Scooters and wheelchairs cannot get by. I once commented about this on another thread. The response was , the HC cabins are near the elevators. Oh, well.

On a sad note--- our Sapphire cruise had the same hallway issue. Had to dodge carts. We saw people using walkers needing to turn them sideways to get past.

One time we were going aft and a gentleman and his father were going forward. Father had limited mobility and was using a cane. Sis and I moved into a cabin doorway to let them pass. The son stopped and thanked us profusely. We were the only ones to give them the right of way.

All I can say is they bust their butt.

I see carts in the passageways all the time every day on every cruise.

I have no problem with it and never paid attention until now.

I won't notice them on my next cruise either.

Ditto.....:):):)

Bob

We have cruised twice with our disabled son. (He's an adult and books his own cabin.) It's amazing how much hassle the carts can be for a person in a wheelchair but... The stewards are so quick to move them to let him through and, when they find that we are moving or have moved the cart to get him down the hallway, the stewards are extremely apologetic and literally "hop to it" to assist. We just tell them it isn't a big deal and that we understand they have a lot of work to do and we aren't working at all and it isn't a big deal.

Yes, it can be a hassle - especially with a wheelchair since you can NOT get a wheelchair past a cart without moving it. We would have preferred unfettered travel down the corridors but we also really appreciated having everything perfect in our cabin EVERY time we entered. Like I said above, we were on vacation and the stewards were working. Unlike some people we felt that kind of gave the stewards the "right of way" or whatever.

Relax. Don't worry - be happy. :)

I learn so much every day, like never talking politics with a crowd of strangers, never salting your bacon or not debating religion with drunks. But today I learned, that some folks get bothered by service carts on cruise ships. :D

I agree that the carts can be a problem. I noted in the picture that the carts are all on the side of the hall with the handrails.

My wife has walking difficulties, even though she does not use a wheelchair or a walker. She often needs to use the handrails for balance - especially with rough seas. The carts blocking the handrails are a safety problem and could lead to a fall.

What cruise lines have you sailed? On Edit: I see you've sailed

Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Carts in the hallway have been present in the morning and evening on all of my cruises on Carnival and Norwegian. I fully expected them to be present on Princess as well.

I don't see how you came to think the carts have any connection to anytime dining. I'd think they're presence is because passengers and the cruise lines want the cabins cleaned and stocked twice a day. It would be time consuming and a hassle to carry the necessary items from a stock room to each cabin. The carts make life easier for most people and getting the job done in a more timely manner.

Like Thrak, we've found it inconvenient when trying to get wheelchairs past the carts, but we've found the stewards to be cheerfully willing to help by moving the cart a bit so the chair could get by. And like Thrak, we're happy to have our cabins attended, so we don't mind the carts being in the halls.

Some hallways are narrower than others, so maybe investigating the ship's deck plans before booking might be in order if someone has a real problem with carts in the halls.

We have never found it a hardship to walk single file past the carts.

Navy Veteran, I agree with you. The carts should not be against the side with the handrails. For the reason you mentioned, and because when rough water makes it necessary to catch your balance with the handrails.

Just a heads up: Carts can be found in the hallways of hotels and walkways of motels, too. :)

Edited by Azure Moon
Added that I see what cruise lines s/he's sailed on.

When traditional dining was the norm, the stewards had a good idea of when people would generally not be in cabins, allowing them to be a bit more efficient in terms of scheduling. Now, generally they have to wait for you to leave, which sometimes leaves them (and their carts) hanging around.

A hotel chain tested a plan to store extra supplies in rooms to allow for smaller carts. Want to guess where they all went?

What cruise lines have you sailed?

Carts in the hallway have been present in the morning and evening on all of my cruises on Carnival and Norwegian. I fully expected them to be present on Princess as well.

I don't see how you came to think the carts have any connection to anytime dining. I'd think they're presence is because passengers and the cruise lines want the cabins cleaned and stocked twice a day. It would be time consuming and a hassle to carry the necessary items from a stock room to each cabin. The carts make life easier for most people and getting the job done in a more timely manner.

Like Thrak, we've found it inconvenient when trying to get wheelchairs past the carts, but we've found the stewards to be cheerfully willing to help by moving the cart a bit so the chair could get by. And like Thrak, we're happy to have our cabins attended, so we don't mind the carts being in the halls.

Some hallways are narrower than others, so maybe investigating the ship's deck plans before booking might be in order if someone has a real problem with carts in the halls.

We have never found it a hardship to walk single file past the carts.

Navy Veteran, I agree with you. The carts should not be against the side with the handrails. For the reason you mentioned, and because when rough water makes it necessary to catch your balance with the handrails.

Just a heads up: Carts can be found in the hallways of hotels and walkways of motels, too. :)

For those that are not annoyed. Fine. Glad you approve. I however have never experienced the obstacle course hallways on a cruise before so I was confused. If cruising in America has now turned into this I will just accept it or look elsewhere. Surprised so many people accept thus. For now.....off to Hoonah Ak.