On the Star right now! Hallways plugged with carts.

masterty

To clarify - when I said 'germy' earlier that wasn't to malign the room stewards - I know they work extremely hard and I've met many I hated to say goodbye to.

While I don't believe the carts are cleaned between shifts as mentioned earlier, I was actually referencing the picture - each cart has towels, washcloths, rags, or something dangling over the side. Assuming these aren't freshly laundered items I figure they have dust, spills, cleaning solvents and/or bodily fluids on them.

Germy.

I can fully understand how it must be difficult for people in wheelchairs and the mobile scooters to get around these carts. Unfortunately, there really is no solution by Princess other than removing half a dozen inside cabins to make room for closets. This, in turn, would cause the cost of Princess cruises to go up for everyone because lost "real estate" is lost revenue.

It's truly unfortunate that our stewards have so many more rooms to take care of and doing so with no assistants. I do remember having two stewards taking care of our cabins in the past (other cruise lines?) because I remember tipping two and not just the one.

Looking at the photo of all the carts made me question why this would be anything more than perhaps only one obstacle and not the entire length of the ship. There are usually three different banks of elevators. I would think that, depending on where your cabin is, only one cart would be obstructing one's trip to the elevators. Most people use their cabin hallways only to get to the elevators to the public floors. I would think trying to get around all of the people on the cruise ship would be a much greater obstacle. Besides, many cruisers' "girth" is as wide as a cart in the hall. :(

Having narrower halls can be an asset when the ship is rocking and rolling. Bouncing back and forth, within only an arm's length could come in handy. :D

We are just off the Regal and whilst there were carts in the corridor, there were not as many as depicted in the picture. I feel the stewards work really hard and to some extent need to keep the carts in the corridor until they have finished all the rooms. We travelled with our two daughters, and whilst we would be out to breakfast by 9 ish on sea days, our girls would stay in bed until 10-11ish, despite our efforts to the contrary. Although we told our steward to ignore our room that day, he would still go in once they had surfaced to see to our room. Likewise in the evening, some evenings we did not get out until after 9pm, and he still went in to service the room. It is down to the passengers (like our group !!!!) that the carts are out there so long :). What I did find annoying was that if I stood to one side to allow other passengers to pass, I very rarely got a thank you for doing so :(, manners go a long way in my book :).

This is one of those scenarios where the issue is the worst possible solution to a problem, except for all the other ones.

The carts are a nuisance and yes can be a safety/mobility hazard, but there's not really another option. Even closets don't work that well when you have 19 cabins, not all of which may be in the same stretch of corridor - I've seen stewards have blocks on both sides of elevators.

As I mentioned, hotels have experimented (and I would assume cruise lines too) with storing supplies in cabins to allow for smaller carts, but the product 'use' factor was always too high unless they locked the storage area (which reduces room storage and is a hassle)

We have cruised twice with our disabled son. (He's an adult and books his own cabin.) It's amazing how much hassle the carts can be for a person in a wheelchair but... The stewards are so quick to move them to let him through and, when they find that we are moving or have moved the cart to get him down the hallway, the stewards are extremely apologetic and literally "hop to it" to assist. We just tell them it isn't a big deal and that we understand they have a lot of work to do and we aren't working at all and it isn't a big deal.

Yes, it can be a hassle - especially with a wheelchair since you can NOT get a wheelchair past a cart without moving it. We would have preferred unfettered travel down the corridors but we also really appreciated having everything perfect in our cabin EVERY time we entered. Like I said above, we were on vacation and the stewards were working. Unlike some people we felt that kind of gave the stewards the "right of way" or whatever.

Relax. Don't worry - be happy. :)

Ditto to Thrac's posting. DW uses a wheelchair. The stewards soon get to know you and are most helpful in getting you past the trollies. We try to enjoy life to the full, smile and it's soon returned tenfold:)

For those who don't see the service carts in the hallways as an issue, I suggest you use a wheelchair, scooter or other mobility aid for a day on a cruise ship.

So far, none of the posts have been from people who

use a wheelchair or scooter.

(at least that have identified themselves)

I can't believe the stewards keep their carts out in the hallways constantly. Clearly this must be a result of anytime dining. My last cruises I never saw the stewards except the first and last moment of the cruise. Now they are a fixture of the fabric. I see my steward 2-3 times a day and people can't pass in the halls with all the carts.

ba7ygy9u.jpg

really?? Just enjoy your vacation...:confused:

Wow! We have never given this a thought at all. My husband has a full size scooter and 98% of the time he can get by the carts with no problem. If he can't I usually move it until he can get by.

Often times the steward will come out and apologize and move it for us. We usually just say "it's not a problem" - we never would complain about it, they are just doing their job!:)

So far, none of the posts have been from people who

use a wheelchair or scooter.

(at least that have identified themselves)

I have traveled extensively with a parent who had a disability and it was an issue. Also, remember there are more disabilities that are affecting than just those in wheelchairs or scooters. Of course we don't blame the room stewards. As far as room stewards coming out to move things when we walk by, most of the time they don't see us. They are often busy in rooms doing their job.

For those who don't think it is a problem - I hope you are never disabled or your travel partner is never disabled as you will probably have a rude awakening on what disabled travel is like. Also, consider yourself blessed to be healthy and not have to think of what some others go through.

Edited by Coral

I have traveled extensively with a parent who had a disability and it was an issue. Also, remember there are more disabilities that are affecting than just those in wheelchairs or scooters. Of course we don't blame the room stewards. As far as room stewards coming out to move things when we walk by, most of the time they don't see us. They are often busy in rooms doing their job.

For those who don't think it is a problem - I hope you are never disabled or your travel partner is never disabled as you will probably have a rude awakening on what disabled travel is like.

You should know by now who likes to stir the pot. :rolleyes:

I appreciate Princess' Stewards and the service we receive.

We have no problem walking past the carts. What I hate are the idiots that put their Room service trays out in the hallway,not in the little area outside their door, but totally in our path. Someone is going to not be looking down and there is going to be a major accident.Trays should be left in cabin. I assume our cabin Steward removes it. However, if room service is called, I am sure they would take care of it.Whenever I see a tray in hall, I move it in the little alcove by person's cabin door.If anyone is to trip, might as well be the guilt party.

On Holland America, there is a notice in cabin that room service trays will be picked up so not to put in hallway. They know who ordered and they come with a huge cart and pick up all the trays.

We were on a cruise when someone put somebody else's room service trays out in front of our door in the little alcove.....tripped right over it a couple of times when we had our hands full of stuff for going to the pool. From then on, we had to be careful every time we opened the door...just in case there was a tripping hazard placed in front of our door. So, next time, just be careful when you think you are being clever ... you just might have chosen the wrong cabin door and tripping the wrong passengers. It may have been you that did that to us....just so you know, they weren't our dishes. hmmmmm!!

We always leave them on the balcony and asked the room steward if that was ok.

A long time ago, the Infinity had a table set up in the hallway, in a little corner section so as not to block the aisle. You could take your empty trays and dirty dishes on there. I loved that. I didn't feel as though I was creating any extra work for the room steward by leaving dirty dishes in the cabin and no emptry trays on the floor in the hallway either. This cart was regularly emptied. It was such a nice touch...for us, that is. There might have been some issues caused by this ... I didn't see them the next couple of times when returning to that ship.

DH uses a transport chair and it can be difficult to get by some of the carts, so we always book a cabin by one of the elevators - problem solved.

Edited by mek

I totally hate it when people put their room server trays outside in the hall. I often see glasses broken, stinky food that's been there a while, etc. I'm not sure of a good answer (unless they'd come pick it up if you call), but I think putting garbage on the floor in the hallway is not a great idea on a ship or in a hotel.

What we do... if some of the stuff is not conducive to leaving in the room (like left over pizza that will eventually cause odors in the room) we take that part of the "stuff" and throw it in the garbage by the elevator. It's typically not too far away. If we have a balcony room we sometimes just put the tray out on the balcony and the cabin attendant takes it the next time they are in the room. An inside room wouldn't have that luxury.

I could imagine that riding on a chair or roller, it might be hard to see refuse on the floor in the hallway. At least the cleaning carts are tall enough to see.

Tom

We were on a cruise when someone put somebody else's room service trays out in front of our door in the little alcove.....tripped right over it a couple of times when we had our hands full of stuff for going to the pool. From then on, we had to be careful every time we opened the door...just in case there was a tripping hazard placed in front of our door. So, next time, just be careful when you think you are being clever ... you just might have chosen the wrong cabin door and tripping the wrong passengers. It may have been you that did that to us....just so you know, they weren't our dishes. hmmmmm!!

We always leave them on the balcony and asked the room steward if that was ok.

DH uses a transport chair and it can be difficult to get by some of the carts, so we always book a cabin by one of the elevators - problem solved.

That is nice when you can book in advance. My bookings (due to my job) are usually only a few months out. You sort of have to take what there is.

Wow! Common sense!

WRT some of the other comments, many people consider themselves

blessed to simply be on a cruise.

If I were in a wheelchair/scooter, I would be a lot more peeved when

I couldn't disembark in a tender port...

We recently cruised on celebrity. I left my tray with some leftover food on it on the balcony. We were in port and i didn't think much of it. Soon the balcony had those big gulls all over the balcony and one got stuck on the floor. It was pitiful seeing him try to fly through the glass barrier. We got a towel and managed to ease him up the wall and off he flew. NO more unattended food on our balcony.

As for the carts, they don't bother me at all. I think most of us able body people would be happy to help out a fellow handicap passengers if we saw you were coming and couldn't get by. If I couldn't move the cart for you I'd find the cabin the room steward was in and get you the help you needed. I think the carts are a non issue.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I totally hate it when people put their room server trays outside in the hall. I often see glasses broken, stinky food that's been there a while, etc. I'm not sure of a good answer (unless they'd come pick it up if you call), but I think putting garbage on the floor in the hallway is not a great idea on a ship or in a hotel.

What we do... if some of the stuff is not conducive to leaving in the room (like left over pizza that will eventually cause odors in the room) we take that part of the "stuff" and throw it in the garbage by the elevator. It's typically not too far away. If we have a balcony room we sometimes just put the tray out on the balcony and the cabin attendant takes it the next time they are in the room. An inside room wouldn't have that luxury.

I could imagine that riding on a chair or roller, it might be hard to see refuse on the floor in the hallway. At least the cleaning carts are tall enough to see.

Tom

Just call room service and they'll pick up the tray... easy peasy!