Costa Concordia's Final Journey

JLC@SD

Does anyone know what happened to the Concordia's captain? He's the guy who slipped and "fell" into a life boat.
A Google search for "latest on Costa Concordia captain" returned:

http://www.dw.de/wrecked-cruise-liner-costa-concordia-begins-final-voyage/a-17801325

Captain under fire

The Costa Concordia's captain, Francesco Schettino, is currently on trial for charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck as he tried to "salute" the port and abandoning ship. He has claimed he fell into a lifeboat.

During court proceedings earlier this year, the cruise company's crisis coordinator said Schettino tried to persuade him to pretend an electrical blackout had caused the disaster.

The captain has been dubbed Italy's "most hated man" by domestic media after the incident. On Tuesday, photographs emerged of him partying on the island of Ischia.

Four other crew members and an executive from the ship's owner, Costa Crociere - Europe's biggest cruise operator and part of US giant Carnival - have already plea-bargained and been convicted on lesser charges.

It is sad seeing this as I am reminded that people died. They were going on a vacation I am sure they thought would be great and then the Captain of this ship made such poor decisions and they lost their lives. I don't really think tragedies such as these should occur.

Did they ever find the missing waiter? I agree, it was just unfathomable that people at the start of what should have been a happy, relaxing time had to fight for their lives. I hope the captain gets what he deserves, and I also agree that if I defined exactly what that is, my post would be deleted.

Did they ever find the missing waiter? I agree, it was just unfathomable that people at the start of what should have been a happy, relaxing time had to fight for their lives. I hope the captain gets what he deserves, and I also agree that if I defined exactly what that is, my post would be deleted.

A very dear friend of mine has worked on the Costa Concordia for the last 2 years - give or take a few months. He is an underwater welder/salvager. He is one of those who spent countless hours, underwater, ensuring that they could refloat her and tow her away.

I also have a theory for the Captain (I am loathed to call him that), but shan't share.

Currently (0820 UT) 25nm West of Livorno making 2.4 knots.

Now completely cleared Corsica, so hopefully we wil hear no more from the French politicians who were compalining that the route took an 'ecological timebomb' too close to their island.

Latest ETA Genoa 1200 UT Sunday.

Currently (0820 UT) 25nm West of Livorno making 2.4 knots.

Now completely cleared Corsica, so hopefully we wil hear no more from the French politicians who were compalining that the route took an 'ecological timebomb' too close to their island.

Latest ETA Genoa 1200 UT Sunday.

Is there any live feed you are watching?

I'm not watching a live feed, but I am tracking the ship's AIS transmissions from time to time.

There is a live feed complete with webcams on the salvage company's website. http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/tragitto.php

However, to be honest, the webcams don't really show much except the state of the sea, though they are presumeably strategically placed to provide monitoring by the salvage team, and they only give ship's location data which doesn't reallty say much other than 'we are here'.

If you want speed, COG and ETA Genoa, and information on the other vessels in the little armada, you need to find an AIS site. The AIS service I use also has the option to show the ship's track over the last up to 24 hours, but you cannnot display both historical track data at the same time as information on nearby vessels.

NOTE:

I suspect that the ETA of 1200 UT Sunday, being transmitted on AIS is a figure which was entered manually and that with around 60nm to go, she will probably arrive off Genoa tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

The problem with AIS sites is that you start off with the whole world and then have to zoom in and pick out the vessel you want from a mass of other vessels.

BUT

If you follow this link:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/247359600/vessel:COSTA_CONCORDIA

you should get to a page showing the latest AIS data for Costa Concordia, from where you can click on:

Latest Position

Nearby Vessels

and

Show on live map

Interestingly, if you click on 'Show on live map' from this page, you seem to get both track and current position of nearby vessels.

The other interesting piece of information is that it also gives the Deadweight of the Ship, which is what it would weigh if you put it on scales, as opposed to the registered tonnage, which has NOTHING whatsoever to do with weight, and is calculated on the basis of internal volume.

The ship actually weighed in at just 8900 tons, which might come as a big surprise to a lot of folks, who mistakenly think it weighs in at 114,000 tons

Edited by Corfe Mixture