Cabin crawl

Bases5

We had a cabin crawl on one of our cruises. It was set up on our cruise meet thread (sorry, different forum). Typically, if your Roll Call (as it's called here) is fairly active and there are several people with rooms from the various categories onboard, they might ask if anyone is interested in setting up a cabin crawl.

On ours, some of the rooms had goodies/drinks, while others you just could go in and look around. It was great being able to physically see the differences between categories.

Edited by Shmoo here

Unless someone has the top of the line penthouse suite, don't really care what the other cabins look like. Actually, on debarkation day, we do go look at the top of the line penthouse suite!

My feeling exactly. On the NCL Pearl cruisecritic had arranged for our group to see a villa suite-you know those that 3 bedrooms each with a private bath with livingroom diningroom combo(with cappuccino machine) and a balcony with a private hot tub plus a pool they shared with the other villa suite guests. I would have loved to see that but we had to stay on board until 11 am disembarkation day, we had to get home could not wait.

I may sound like a stick in the mud but I don't want total strangers looking in my cabin.

If I want to see what other cabins look like I can just glance in when the cabin attendant has the door open for cleaning and I am walking in the corridor.

OK, I guess I'm no fun at all.

There are times on active Roll Calls, when someone will ask if any others would like to do a Cabin Crawl. Only those who wish to do so participate ... nothing to do with the actually roll call or M&G.

We never have and don't plan to become involved in that activity. :rolleyes:

Those who wish to do so meet and walk around to look at the cabins of others. Some seem to really enjoy doing this.

LuLu

I may sound like a stick in the mud but I don't want total strangers looking in my cabin.

If I want to see what other cabins look like I can just glance in when the cabin attendant has the door open for cleaning and I am walking in the corridor.

I'm in that "mud" with you..don't care for the open house atmosphere onboard...and some of the cabins I've glanced into...YIKES what a mess some can be :eek:

I've participated in two and am organizing one on our roll call. I like cabin crawls for two reasons. 1. You get to meet the participants, and they may be really nice interesting people you wouldn't have met otherwise. and 2. They give people an opportunity to see different kinds of cabins they might like to try (or might decide they never want to try.)

Nobody is expecting to be awarded the Good Housekeeping Seal, and you do not have to provide snacks and drinkies - the objective is to see whether you might like to try something different on another cruise. If you join a cabin crawl, you get to see all the other participants' little homes, and you agree to let them look at yours. Obviously, the more different types of cabins and the more different locations on the ship (fore, aft, and in-between) the better.

As a bonus, you may discover tips like the one I did on a cabin crawl. The hostess had several Business Depot magnetic clips on one big blank wall in her cabin. One held the cruise newsletter for the day. Another held reminders about invited events and shows they wanted to take in. A third had a pair of sunglasses perched on it. And so on. What a great idea! The walls are magnetic, so why not use the real estate?

You never know what you will discover on a cabin crawl and who you will meet. If that doesn't appeal to you, you should not sign up.

(As for people who peek into my private space while the steward has the door open, all I can say is - nosy-parker.)

Edited by wassup4565

Been on two. They were set up via the Roll Call with people offering their cabin to be seen. On one we all paid a small amount. Then there was a deck of cards in each cabin and you picked one card at each stop. Then at the last cabin whomever had the best poker hand would win the pot.

I didn't like it at all. Everyone was moving to each cabin and you never really got a chance to talk with anyone or get to know them as we all rushed from cabin to cabin.

It might be interesting if there are unusual cabins to see but otherwise I see enough when the stewards have the doors propped open (no, not a nosy-parker, I do not walk past any open door without glancing inside to make sure someone isn't coming out while not looking. If someone stopped and had a long look, that might make them a nosy-parker. If they actually went inside then it would make them a nosy-parker;).).

I agree. I don't invite strangers into my home, so why would I invite them into my cabin.

We've been on a couple of cabin crawls. Usually they are arranged so that there are a variety of cabin types to see--balcony, mini-suite, different categories of full suites, etc.

The first one was the best as it had several different suites to see, including the incredible villa suite on NCL, with the three bedrooms, grand piano, etc. That was worth seeing.

Some cabins did have small munchies, but not all. It does get a little crowded with everyone going from cabin to cabin. One of the crawls also had a poker card draw, which was fun.

There are times on active Roll Calls, when someone will ask if any others would like to do a Cabin Crawl. Only those who wish to do so participate ... nothing to do with the actually roll call or M&G.

We never have and don't plan to become involved in that activity. :rolleyes:

Those who wish to do so meet and walk around to look at the cabins of others. Some seem to really enjoy doing this.

LuLu

Exactly, it is like the gift exchange and slot pull you do not have to participate. It is separate from the M& G.

I stopped joining Roll Calls a few years ago.

I am not interested in cabin crawls, gift exchanges, games, etc. that some people are interested in.

I know some people are interested in those things, but I am not.

And you needed to post this WHY Are you a post counter

I wouldn't sign up either. There is little difference between most cabins other than having an outside view or a balcony. I would be curious to see the few more lavish suites, but then think, for what?, I will never have one. Makes me think of the Titanic and having a cabin crawl from steerage to upper class.

I wouldn't sign up either. There is little difference between most cabins other than having an outside view or a balcony. I would be curious to see the few more lavish suites, but then think, for what?, I will never have one. Makes me think of the Titanic and having a cabin crawl from steerage to upper class.

Lol! the Titanic exhibit I saw a few year sago had mock ups of the different class cabins. the Queen Mary has mock ups in the exhibit area down near the engine room. They only use the first class cabins in their hotel and the other cabins were converted into use for other things.