El Cheapo Cruises Thread

We have been on HAL about 5 times but they were getting too expensive

for us so we have been on a lot of Celebrity cruises since.

I really loved the food on HAL and their main dining room was very very good.

I am certainly looking forward to our next HAL cruise so it will be interesting to read your reviews.

I hope you all have excellent cruises.

Edited by GCHAN

thanks, this is a good deal auk to syd  December 8th 2018  13 nights  $1098 pp twin,  $1827 single both inside.

Just been looking at google and realised the eden is ex HAL.  We rather liked the eden for size.

Tips extra but can't have everything I guess.

Edited by Tara Jane

I also looked at this cruise, which has a great itinerary.  However, the price was for a guarantee cabin, with non refundable payment in full on booking.   Then with the addition of two one way air fares to Auckland and return from Sydney on 21.12, plus increased tips from 1.12, made this cruise less of a bargain for a solo.  

Where are you from MM?

I booked flights tonight from Melbourne to auck 219 with Qantas. An overnight which I hate but do to hubby's work we couldn't take an earlier flight which was same price.  Sydney to Melbourne on 21st was 125 which I consider good for the day kids finish school.  

Tips mmm won't go there other than to say the HAL lady in Sydney offered the information that they can be adjusted but must be done in first 24 hours.  

Hope this info might encourage you to think about booking.  My sister is in a single cabin.  I don't mind paying in full now as it's only just over a month away but totally agree with not paying a long time ahead.  I recently had to cancel a usa/canada trip 9 days before departure due to a blood clot.

8 hours ago, GCHAN said:

We have been on HAL about 5 times but they were getting too expensive

for us so we have been on a lot of Celebrity cruises since.

I really loved the food on HAL and their main dining room was very very good.

I am certainly looking forward to our next HAL cruise so it will be interesting to read your reviews.

I hope you all have excellent cruises.

Cheers, it is good to know. Our cruise is not cheap but the itinerary is what we wanted to do so the itinerary trumped the price and the line (again).

4 hours ago, Tara Jane said:

Where are you from MM?

I booked flights tonight from Melbourne to auck 219 with Qantas. An overnight which I hate but do to hubby's work we couldn't take an earlier flight which was same price.  Sydney to Melbourne on 21st was 125 which I consider good for the day kids finish school.  

Tips mmm won't go there other than to say the HAL lady in Sydney offered the information that they can be adjusted but must be done in first 24 hours.  

Hope this info might encourage you to think about booking.  My sister is in a single cabin.  I don't mind paying in full now as it's only just over a month away but totally agree with not paying a long time ahead.  I recently had to cancel a usa/canada trip 9 days before departure due to a blood clot.

Thanks for your response re reasonable cost of flights, etc.  Agree, you got good prices, especially for 21st being so close to Christmas.  I didn't do the sums.  I can fly from Gold Coast or Brisbane.  

I have only just arrived home from cruising overseas for a month, so shouldn't be looking at another cruise so soon. 

This one attracted me because of the unique itinerary, as I'm destination driven.

Probably my major concern would be a guarantee cabin, as I wouldn't want to be in a cabin in the front of the ship cruising across the Tasman.  However,  I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Bon Voyage for your cruise.  

Understand mm. We always take guarantee if available. Leaves $$ for more cruising. Never had a cabin we haven't been happy with I am however a very heavy sleeper and haven't been affected by motion sickness in 25+ cruises but murphys law says.......😉

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers, it is good to know. Our cruise is not cheap but the itinerary is what we wanted to do so the itinerary trumped the price and the line (again).

HAL are doing some interesting cruises and we have been very tempted with some of the Maasdam cruises this year and some next year.

Most probably next year will be excellent for Australia because of the quality of boats coming here.

Can't wait to see the deals that are available once Celebrity Eclipse arrives.

1 hour ago, GCHAN said:

HAL are doing some interesting cruises and we have been very tempted with some of the Maasdam cruises this year and some next year.

Most probably next year will be excellent for Australia because of the quality of boats coming here.

Can't wait to see the deals that are available once Celebrity Eclipse arrives.

Agreed, we are doing the Singapore return as it does the Malacca straight ports , Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

42 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, we are doing the Singapore return as it does the Malacca straight ports , Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

Awesome. We are also doing a similar cruise early next year.

We are thinking of doing a transatlantic from Rome next year with HAL. The cruise has a fair few ports in Europe and we will then see Disneyland and Las Vegas at the end of it.

If that doesn't happen we will do one of the many Australian or Asia cruises available

18 hours ago, GCHAN said:

Awesome. We are also doing a similar cruise early next year.

We are thinking of doing a transatlantic from Rome next year with HAL. The cruise has a fair few ports in Europe and we will then see Disneyland and Las Vegas at the end of it.

If that doesn't happen we will do one of the many Australian or Asia cruises available

GCHAN what date is this Cruise please and where does it terminate? I've tried Google it but nothing coming up, Thank you

Edited by phoenixx
Adding more info

8 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

GCHAN what date is this Cruise please and where does it terminate? I've tried Google it but nothing coming up, Thank you

Try a TranAtlantic search on the Holland America site. There are several to choose from..

2 hours ago, phoenixx said:

The one i am looking at is Rome to Fort Lauderdale on November 2. 18 days  on Rotterdam.

There are a number of Transatlantic cruises on HAL, Princess ,Celebrity and just about every line.

I haven't definitely decided yet as there are interesting cruises from either Rome or Barcelona and i have been to Rome a number of times already. 

My final decision will most probably be itinerary based. Celebrity have one that leaves from Barcelona and has 2 days in Lisbon which is very tempting.

1 hour ago, GCHAN said:

The one i am looking at is Rome to Fort Lauderdale on November 2. 18 days  on Rotterdam.

There are a number of Transatlantic cruises on HAL, Princess ,Celebrity and just about every line.

I haven't definitely decided yet as there are interesting cruises from either Rome or Barcelona and i have been to Rome a number of times already. 

My final decision will most probably be itinerary based. Celebrity have one that leaves from Barcelona and has 2 days in Lisbon which is very tempting.

Lots to see and do in and around Lisbon.

Maasdam  8th Dec . Auckland to Sydney 13 nights  Inside only $1119  =  $86 per night- ,,,,cheap as chips.

Some new ports on this one................

8th December 2018: Auckland, New Zealalnd: Depart 5pm

9th December: Tauranga, New Zealand: 7am - Overnight

10th December: Tauranga, New Zealand: Depart 6pm

11th December: Napier, New Zealand: 12pm - 6pm

12th December: Wellington, New Zealand: 9am - 6pm

13th December: New Plymouth, New Zealand: 8am - 5pm

14th December: Nelson, New Zealand: 8am - 8pm

15th December: Kaikoura, New Zealand: 8am - 5pm

16th December: Akaroa, New Zealand: 8am - 5pm

17th December: Dunedin, New Zealand: 8am - 4pm

18th December: Fjordland National Park: Scenic Cruising

19th December: At Sea

20th December: At Sea

21st December: Sydney, Australia: Disembark

On 11/1/2018 at 2:00 PM, GCHAN said:

Thanks GCHAN

6 hours ago, phoenixx said:

Thanks GCHAN

The cruise with 2 nights in Lisbon is actually RCCL Brilliance of the Seas (not Celebrity). It is  Nov 3 ,2019 ex  Barcelona $939usd inside for 15 nights

Edited by GCHAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GCHAN said:

The cruise with 2 nights in Lisbon is actually RCCL Brilliance of the Seas (not Celebrity). It is  Nov 3 ,2019 ex  Barcelona $939usd inside for 15 nights

Nice price if it includes taxes and fees. Remember that X and royal have some reciprocal  loyalty perks.

22 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Nice price if it includes taxes and fees. Remember that X and royal have some reciprocal  loyalty perks.

I think the taxes are about $140usd extra pp and there is $50obc

4 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

Sorry this is off topic but does anyone know what's happened to subscribed threads? It's disappeared for me, can anyone help please? I have googled to no avail.

This thread from the Help forum may be of assistance (or have a look at others i  the Help forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597618-subscribed-threads-list-can-we-have-them-back-please/?tab=comments#comment-56106498