Would you rather...

theriac

For four reasons:

1. One time arranging, paying for and suffering through air transportation not two.

2. Short cruises tend to be "party 'til you drop." Not my style.

3. Studies show the average time to relax and get into "vacation mode" is two and a half days. The cruise is half over by then.

4. Four and five day cruises have limited itineraries.

One longer cruise for me. Unless I lived close to a port, it wouldn't be worth it for me to pay airfare for 2 cruises. Also, I've read here that the shorter cruises often have a higher percentage of cruisers who are there primarily to get drunk. Not for me.

For four reasons:

1. One time arranging, paying for and suffering through air transportation not two.

2. Short cruises tend to be "party 'til you drop." Not my style.

3. Studies show the average time to relax and get into "vacation mode" is two and a half days. The cruise is half over by then.

4. Four and five day cruises have limited itineraries.

That's a myth. I've been on many and the fact is you'll find the same passenger mix as you would on any cruise leaving from the same port. There's likely more rowdy partiers on 7-day cruises over college "spring break" than on a typical shorter cruise at other times of the year. Everybody's situations are different and there are lots of reasons why a young family or an elderly couple or other folks just like you would be on a shorter cruise and the desire to get drunk and party are not among them.

Edited by ronandannette

Definitely one longer cruise--in fact, we mostly do 14 day cruises now--would only do 7 days for some special reason, like taking the extended family.

We have to fly to every port, being in the center of the country, so I do not want to pay for and have the hassle of two different sets of flights. If we lived near a port, it might be different.

Just doing a survey of what people would rather do. Would you rather go on one 7-8 night cruise or spread them out and go on two 4-5 night cruises. If itinerary wasn't an issue to you which would you prefer to do? One decent length vacation, or two shorter cruises?

When we were working, we used to do one vacation a year for 1 month.

Now we are retired, we two or three trips a year, generally for 10-14 days on a cruise plus time before or after, don't want to be gone for more than 21 days per trip.

Personally, 7 days or longer with a 1-2 day pre-cruise stay. But I have to fly to get to port so a 4-5 day cruise isn't worth it to me. If I lived close to a port, it might be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather take one longer cruise than two short ones. It's just more relaxing. Last December we took back-to-back 4-day cruises. Even that was not as relaxing to me as it would have been to have had one 7-day cruise. But if that's what fits DH's school break schedule, we'd do it again.

On the other hand, for his spring break, the only cruise that fit our schedule and budget was a 5-night cruise. We flew down to Fort Lauderdale the day of the cruise and flew back the day the cruise ended. We were glad we managed to fit this cruise into our schedule.

After our first two-week cruise, my hubby said he can't see doing another one that was 7 days or less. Next two were two-weekers too. I guess it's not going to be an absolute rule, but the longer cruises give us a chance to get on board without feeling like we'll be soon getting off again.

With all of the precruise prep (packing, arranging for pet care, stop certain deliveries, have someone take in the mail) too much to do to make a 4 or 5 day cruise be enough bang for the buck. And if you have to fly to the port....... maybe if you are flying to someplace and the 4 or 5 day cruise is part of the longer vacation......perhaps. Let alone a 7 dayer.... we have friends who won't even consider a cruise shorter then 10 days.