$2 bills

train460

I think to make sure there are no issues in using them, it is best not to do so on a cruise. That said, my goodness people, if someone finds it fun to give $2 bills out as tips I can't believe how much flaming can result. They are legal US currency and certainly in the US can be spent anywhere. Since they are not commonly used some people may find it a cute touch and get a kick out of getting them. Those who couldn't care less can just spend them like other bills.

I think to make sure there are no issues in using them, it is best not to do so on a cruise. That said, my goodness people, if someone finds it fun to give $2 bills out as tips I can't believe how much flaming can result. They are legal US currency and certainly in the US can be spent anywhere. Since they are not commonly used some people may find it a cute touch and get a kick out of getting them. Those who couldn't care less can just spend them like other bills.

There is a difference in using them in the USA and on a cruise ship. The cruise ship is not the USA! So what is cute in the US is problematic on a cruise ship. Let's be considerate of the cruise ship workers. Also a $2 bill in the US is small change. For a worker from a third world country one or two dollars is a bigger deal than for US workers. US workers are likely to out $2 bill in a drawer. The workers on a cruise ship rely on every dollar.

Edited by Charles4515
ggh

• 2 weeks later...
My understanding (and I may be wrong as I've only been cruising since 1998) is the crew has a Pursers desk, and at the Crew Pursers Desk. they have the option to do their banking. They can convert currency, arrange to send money home, buy internet time, pretty much all of their personal financial needs are met. They can also exchange large bills for small, small for large, coin for paper....................I'm sure you get the point.

Tipping with a $2.00 bill is not a problem for any crew I have ever encountered on any ship.

Come time for a crew member to go ashore all they do is stop at their Pursers desk, convert the coin, currency and the odd $2.00 into fresh bills of the denomination they want and off to Wal-Mart for their stuff.

Yes, crew have their own Purser and they can do some banking on the ships.

There is a difference in using them in the USA and on a cruise ship. The cruise ship is not the USA! So what is cute in the US is problematic on a cruise ship.

The cruise ship may not be in the USA, but the legal currency of the cruise ship is the US currency...so therefore, the $2 bill is legal tender just the same as the $1, $5, the $10, etc. Everything in the shops are priced in US currency, the cost of drinks is US currency, the cost of specialty restaurants is priced in US currency...Try paying with Canadian currency, they'll convert it to US currency!

I severely doubt that paying a tip with a $2 US bill is problematic on a cruise ship. It just doesn't 'add up' :cool:

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Michael

Michael.. great idea..

To the some of the others... you have to be kidding with your commments... :eek:

A $2.00 tip to most of the crew, is half a days wages in their home countries. They and their families elsewhere live because of the tips we give.

Ask your waiter next time about his or her family, and if they support them working on the cruise ship. These are some very interesting people, and they are away from home for months or even years at at time.

I highly doubt that they have the same bias against a $2.00 bill. They will willing take as many of them as you want to give away, and if you have more they will gladly take them from you.

The only thing I can contribute is that I have been staying in Cozumel and took a cab from the hotel to downtown and the $20 I had, had a small tear in it and they wouldn't take it. I had to use an ATM to get money to pay the cab. Apparently they don't accept money with any tears. The cab driver acted like I was trying to rip him off.

Also, when I was staying at a resort in the Mexican Riviera a couple of years ago as I tipped the bartender (at an all inclusive) he asked if I could trade dollars for the tips he had received of the new silver dollars with the presidents on them as he couldn't use them. They weren't recognized there at the time. I did know that they were currency so I did trade him but it seems the current trend of the US coming up with trendy coins causes some issues with the locals although as tips they won't say so.

Where does someone get all those $2 bills.:confused:

Its not regular currency a bank carries

Jon...what happened? email? pbhunt at pacbell dot net.

I gave dollar coins ONCE on a cruise. I bought a roll because that is what the auto luggage carriers were taking at the time. They were happy to accept them, but like phone cards (as mentioned on here) they are not something the crew really needs. It is just easier to stick with regular currency.

One of my part-time jobs when I first retired was working as an usher at a minor league ball park. Sometimes fans would slip me a one dollar bill when I showed them to their seat and wiped it down. One particular fan would always slip me a two dollar bill. I certainly appreciated it more and had no problems with it!:D

Someday, you Americans will figure out the proper way. You rejected the superior metric system, so I don't expect any progress on the money thing, but It's OK, we still love you. :D

Note: We actually stopped using the penny a few months ago, so the picture below is no longer current :)

livinginns_currency.jpg

Edited by Toddcan

So what does this have to do with the price of beans in Canada?

two Loonies = one Toonie?

What does that have to do with the US not using the metric system for other weights and measures? Our currency is in multiples of 10.

Didn't Canada or England have a $2.50 bill?

Edited by cruzincurt

One of my part-time jobs when I first retired was working as an usher at a minor league ball park. Sometimes fans would slip me a one dollar bill when I showed them to their seat and wiped it down. One particular fan would always slip me a two dollar bill. I certainly appreciated it more and had no problems with it!:D

All well and good. But there is nowhere in the Caribbean it can easily be spent

Someday, you Americans will figure out the proper way. You rejected the superior metric system, so I don't expect any progress on the money thing, but It's OK, we still love you. :D

Note: We actually stopped using the penny a few months ago, so the picture below is no longer current :)

livinginns_currency.jpg

You can keep the toonies and loonies, but we love your peameal:D

livinginns_currency.jpg

Not quite right about the penny. We didn't stop using them, the Mint has stopped producing them. They are legal currency until there are no more left. I still use them at stores. When the stores receive them, they are turned in to the Mint for destruction, or whatever they do with them. I do not like the round up or down that the retail industry has embraced. So it's either debit card purchase or use up my pennies for the purchase.

And that, my friends, is my two cent's worth...LOL :D

The only thing I can contribute is that I have been staying in Cozumel and took a cab from the hotel to downtown and the $20 I had, had a small tear in it and they wouldn't take it.

Also, when I was staying at a resort in the Mexican Riviera a couple of years ago as I tipped the bartender (at an all inclusive) he asked if I could trade dollars for the tips he had received of the new silver dollars with the presidents on them as he couldn't use them. They weren't recognized there at the time. I did know that they were currency so I did trade him but it seems the current trend of the US coming up with trendy coins causes some issues with the locals although as tips they won't say so.

One has to remember that in foreign countries, the US $ is not their official currency. They will accept it as a courtesy to US tourists, but they are not obligated to do so.

I certainly do not see anyone in Mexico accepting Canadian $$, LOL, so I would bring their currency with me to spend. Living in a big city, we have alot of currency exchange places at our disposal.

Last cruise I tipped with $3 dollar bills. I thought was a nice tip. Had my picture on it. Easier than carrying a big wad of $1 dollar bills. Worked well all week until we returned to port and the pesky US Treasury agents were there. Booking my next cruise in 5 to 10 years.

Although not $2...a few years ago I partially tipped my waitress in Filipino Pesos. I had been there and brought some along just in case I had a Filipino staff member assisting me. She was absolutely thrilled to get them. She was flying home the next week and was glad to have them to use for her taxi ride from the airport.