New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

4 minutes ago, ToXS said:

All feasible HAL sponsored excursions are sold out. Is there a good way just to get transportation to a close by beach at Kailua-Kona (Hawaii) (tendered) and Honolulu (at dock)? Can we just catch a taxi at the dock? More importantly - how can we be sure to find a taxi to get us back in time?

Any recommendations for close by beaches at those 2 ports would be very appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi @ToXS you might to post this on your roll call; there may be others on your cruise looking to share rides or who can provide specific details for what they've been able to book.🤔

3 hours ago, ToXS said:

All feasible HAL sponsored excursions are sold out. Is there a good way just to get transportation to a close by beach at Kailua-Kona (Hawaii) (tendered) and Honolulu (at dock)? Can we just catch a taxi at the dock? More importantly - how can we be sure to find a taxi to get us back in time?

Any recommendations for close by beaches at those 2 ports would be very appreciated!

Thank you!

The Hawaii Ports of Call board is quite active and there are a number of posters who have excellent knowledge of the ports. I'd suggest you head over there and repeat your query. 

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Hawaii Ports of Call board is quite active and there are a number of posters who have excellent knowledge of the ports. I'd suggest you head over there and repeat your query. 

Can't help with your first as we rented a car but in Honolulu, we took the city bus from near the port to Waikiki and enjoyed the beach. We got to the beach through the beautiful Royal Hawaiian Hotel and had a drink at their beachside bar before and after walking the beach and swimming. We had planned to rent a chair but due to the high price and short time we had available decided it wasn't worth it. 

i believe you can pay for the bus in cash onboard (you need to verify that) but as we were staying overnight and wanted to use the bus later that evening to go to sunset happy hour at "House without a Key" we bought a day pass. This requires we visit an official outlet. The closest was a 7/11 about a 15 minute walk from the ship. 

1F31B1C0-6282-4E7D-A84E-E8C331F325C6.jpeg

ECA36C75-0AF8-48F7-A80A-367AECC030F4.jpeg

BD31E556-DCCE-4291-9423-8C04CA0E3E07.jpeg

IMG_3288.jpeg

IMG_3304.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3274.jpeg

• Like 3

Returning to HAL after many years and have a few questions:

1. Just finished our on line check in using my desktop.  Also, downloaded the HAL app.  All boxes are checked but still awaiting documents which should be available about Oct. 4th according to my HAL check in information.  My question is:  when do we get check in time?  Also, is HAL strict about the timing (can I show up earlier)?

2.  Am I required to enter pictures of my husband and myself in the app?  If so, where do I find this place?

Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

1. Just finished our on line check in using my desktop.  Also, downloaded the HAL app.  All boxes are checked but still awaiting documents which should be available about Oct. 4th according to my HAL check in information.  My question is:  when do we get check in time?  Also, is HAL strict about the timing (can I show up earlier)?

2.  Am I required to enter pictures of my husband and myself in the app?  If so, where do I find this place?

The strictness of time of boarding is port dependent but usually you can show up at any time but you may have to wait to board. 

you may get multiple emails about checkin times from now until the day you leave. It seems to be rather haphazard. 

I do not know how to upload a picture to the app, I am sure someone else will show up with instructions 

• Like 1

Just now, Mary229 said:

The strictness of time of boarding is port dependent but usually you can show up at any time but you may have to wait to board. 

you may get multiple emails about checkin times from now until the day you leave. It seems to be rather haphazard. 

I do not know how to upload a picture to the app, I am sure someone else will show up with instructions 

Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate it. 

We will be embarking in San Diego and have never cruised with this port so wasn't sure how things operated.

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Last year on the Oosterdam boarding in Trieste we got our boarding time about 30 days out from the departure by finishing the online check-in, We had a 12:30 boarding time but we got to Trieste from Venice at 11:00 and boarded about 15 minutes later. At 11:00 the terminal was empty as it took until after lunch before they got busy.

We entered pictures but they didn't use them and retook them when we checked in. You do not need to worry about uploading pictures as they will not use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Aligned with @terrydtx that you don't need to worry about uploading pictures into the app as they'll do them at check in if you didn't. 

As @Mary229 mentioned, you may receive multiple emails with check in times and your boarding group  - it will also be at the top of the boarding pass in the Navigator App. The Navigator App will auto update if HAL changes your time or group.

We last left from San Diego in Nov - they were not enforcing check in times or boarding times. Not to say they won't, just saying they haven't when we've left from there including as recently as Nov. I'm sure if call HAL, they will likely tell you to comply with your check in & boarding times.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Aligned with @terrydtx that you don't need to worry about uploading pictures into the app as they'll do them at check in if you didn't. 

As @Mary229 mentioned, you may receive multiple emails with check in times and your boarding group  - it will also be at the top of the boarding pass in the Navigator App. The Navigator App will auto update if HAL changes your time or group.

We last left from San Diego in Nov - they were not enforcing check in times or boarding times. Not to say they won't, just saying they haven't when we've left from there including as recently as Nov. I'm sure if call HAL, they will likely tell you to comply with your check in & boarding times.

Thank you.  Will the boarding pass be with the Express Docs? 

Since you were at the San Diego terminal in Nov. (that's when we will be going -- Nov. 2023) do you remember when you were able to self-disembark?  My itinerary shows we will arrive in San Diego at 7 AM.

Thanks for the well wishes, we are looking forward to the cruise.

Sorry, three more questions I forgot to ask:

Does HAL do one daily service or two?  We prefer just one.

When we sailed with HAL in the past (quite few years ago), there were two cabin stewards assigned to us (one main and one asst.  Is that still the case?)

How much are cans of Coke?  We do not have a drink package.

Thanks again.

23 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

When we sailed with HAL in the past (quite few years ago), there were two cabin stewards assigned to us (one main and one asst.  Is that still the case?)

Thanks again.

Last October, our steward asked us if they could just do one service. We said sure as long as he could restock our ice bucket in the evening.  He said, "we will just do turn-down then" which is what they did.  He had an assistant. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you.  Will the boarding pass be with the Express Docs? 

Since you were at the San Diego terminal in Nov. (that's when we will be going -- Nov. 2023) do you remember when you were able to self-disembark?  My itinerary shows we will arrive in San Diego at 7 AM.

Thanks for the well wishes, we are looking forward to the cruise.

You absolutely can self disembark; they call it "walk off." You'll need to select that when you get your disembarkation form & will still get a disembarkation packet - very important to read it. You'll likely be in the 1st group; the time will depend on several things, including how quickly the ship gets clearance. You could be off by 730ish.

Boarding pass can be printed from the "docs" section, just be sure it's the one with barcode in lower left corner, the ones w/o barcode are not the "official " one. Or you can use the electronic one from the Navigator App w/o printing it.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks again.

From an earlier post:  I received my boarding pass barcoded page while I was traveling to the San Diego terminal in April so did not have a printed copy.  Even though I had it on my phone, I was given a printed copy at check-in.  A facial recognition photo will be taken after the check-in process and may be used for embarking and disembarking the ship instead of your stateroom key. 

You will be given an option for one or two services.  I opt for one but ask that my daily program and new Room Service Breakfast card be placed on my bed in the eveing.

Cokes are $2.75.  The same cost as the minibar.  See attached menu for the Ocean Bar:

Ocean Bar Menu

HAL assigns one Room Steward to a group of staterooms.  If there are inexperienced trainees, they will double the staterooms and use a trainee with a veteran steward to cover them.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Crew News said:

From an earlier post:  I received my boarding pass barcoded page while I was traveling to the San Diego terminal in April so did not have a printed copy.  Even though I had it on my phone, I was given a printed copy at check-in.  A facial recognition photo will be taken after the check-in process and may be used for embarking and disembarking the ship instead of your stateroom key. 

You will be given an option for one or two services.  I opt for one but ask that my daily program and new Room Service Breakfast card be placed on my bed in the eveing.

Cokes are $2.75.  The same cost as the minibar.  See attached menu for the Ocean Bar:

Ocean Bar Menu

HAL assigns one Room Steward to a group of staterooms.  If there are inexperienced trainees, they will double the staterooms and use a trainee with a veteran steward to cover them.

Thank you so much for the detailed information, I appreciate it.  Final question for you:  when we sailed with HAL we always had two people assigned to our room; a room steward and an assistant.  We were given a card with both names on the card -- is this still the practice?

Just now, Italy52 said:

Thank you so much for the detailed information, I appreciate it.  Final question for you:  when we sailed with HAL we always had two people assigned to our room; a room steward and an assistant.  We were given a card with both names on the card -- is this still the practice?

You will be given a card with both Room Stewards' names if applicable.  If a single Room Steward, just a single name will be on the card.

Since HAL lost so many employees to other full time employment during the pandemic, there are still lots of rookie Room Stewards that need to be paired.  Performance is not the cause for pairing rather the ability to converse well in English needs to be developed with more interactions with English-speaking passengers. 

If you choose a single room service, I recommend bringing an 18-can collapsible cooler for your ice needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:57 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, just go to the Shore Ex desk as soon as you get onboard and ask them to move them to OBC. They will cancel the excursions and rebook using OBC. You'll see the canceled excursions credited as OBC then at end of cruise if you haven't used it, it will be refunded to your CC.

It's important you have ShorexEx do it rather than trying to do it yourself because they can secure your spot on the sold out excursions but you cannot.

It's also important you do it before the excursions as they won't do it after the excursions have taken place.

Guest Services cannot do this - it has to be the Shore Ex desk.

Congrats on the "new" booking!

Thank you for this information. I have considerable onboard credit, and would like to use some of it for a pre-booked tour, that is now full. What you have written makes it easy to understand and follow the process.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:20 PM, ToXS said:

Thank you!

Look at Trip advisor or visitacity.com. The ports of call page on cruise critic is very helpful too

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 10:15 AM, *Miss G* said:

Here is the WINE LIST.  If you take a look at @Crew News BEVERAGE MENUS page, you can also see the wine packages if you’d like to choose ahead.

I noticed that the pricing for Cellar #2 and Cellar #3 (from your WINE LIST link) are the same in the Sommelier Suite packages.  Wasn't that way last year -- wonder if HAL's proofreader had a bad day  or too much 🍷 tasting 🤪

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, regnig said:

Not new to HAL but have a question and didn't want to start a new thread. What is the web site that shows what cruise ships are scheduled to be in a port on a given day? The search function did not provide me with an answer. Thanks

I google the name of the port and the word schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regnig said:

Not new to HAL but have a question and didn't want to start a new thread. What is the web site that shows what cruise ships are scheduled to be in a port on a given day? The search function did not provide me with an answer. Thanks

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/sydney-ns-port-3667

This is filtered for Sydney; you can filter to any country & port you want to see.

• Like 2