Price Drops...when to take advantage?

I'm still new to the ins and outs of RCI pricing. I am curious about taking advantage of the price drops. Is there a limit on the number of price drops you can receive? Also, when I was searching previous threads regarding price drops, I read the reservation can be paid in full and still receive a price drop as long as it's before the paid-in-full date. Is this correct?

I did a mock booking and saw my stateroom category is now $160 cheaper overall. Am I only allowed a price drop on the cabin category (ex. D2) or am I looking for the difference in the type of room I booked (ocean view balcony).

Sorry for the newb questions. I'll get this down eventually :p

Royal has no max on the number of price drops you are able to get. TA's may have fees, or a max, you would have to check with your TA for details.

I am unsure if you have paid in full before final payment date if you are able to get price drops. I leave that to the more expert posters.

The price change must be on the EXACT category that you have booked. (as you said, D2, not just any balcony cabin)

It has always been that you can get the price drop up until final payment DATE, but someone posted yesterday that he was denied the price drop because he had paid before it was actually due. It's hard to know what RC is up to, sometimes.

And not all pricing "counts" as a price drop. Some prices are "for new bookings only" and they will deny you the new price.

As rumenroman said, there is NO limit on how many price drops RC will give you. But you should call the INSTANT that you see it. It can disappear in minutes, and once it is gone, it's gone.

This all applies if you booked directly through RC. If you booked through an agency, your TA must make the call. This is one good reason to keep your reservation yourself: flexibility and timeliness.

:)

...I am unsure if you have paid in full before final payment date if you are able to get price drops....

Yes, you can still get price drops if you have paid off the cruise early. Royal will credit your credit card, as long as it's before final payment date.

Yes, you can still get price drops if you have paid off the cruise early. Royal will credit your credit card, as long as it's before final payment date.

Good to know - my TA always handles my payments so I never needed to know the rule! Yes I have a fantastic TA!

I don't know if there's a maximum, but we've gotten three on one cruise (two of which came after we had paid off the cruise, but before final payment date), and then were able to upgrade from a D1 to a JS for about $120 after final payment date when the JS price dropped (for a day). The next day, the JS price jumped back up.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there nothing to do after the final payment date? We booked through a travel agency and had to pay it in full because we were only 1 day away from final payment being due. The price now is over $400 less. :eek:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

After Royals final payment date no reductions or OBC will be offered.

Is there nothing to do after the final payment date? We booked through a travel agency and had to pay it in full because we were only 1 day away from final payment being due. The price now is over $400 less. :eek:

If you booked within the last 48 hours, you can use Royal's 48 hour price guarantee and get on board credit. Find that on Royal's website.

Other than that, the only other thing you can do is upgrade if a higher category stateroom has come down enough in price so that it might be little or no cost to move.

If the price you paid is less than the current price for a higher category cabin, you may be able to upgrade to the higher category, but you would not be able to get a refund of money. Check with your TA, they will know and should be more than willing to help you.

I'm still new to the ins and outs of RCI pricing. I am curious about taking advantage of the price drops. Is there a limit on the number of price drops you can receive? Also, when I was searching previous threads regarding price drops, I read the reservation can be paid in full and still receive a price drop as long as it's before the paid-in-full date. Is this correct?

I did a mock booking and saw my stateroom category is now $160 cheaper overall. Am I only allowed a price drop on the cabin category (ex. D2) or am I looking for the difference in the type of room I booked (ocean view balcony).

Sorry for the newb questions. I'll get this down eventually :p

There is no limit on the number of price drops you can take advantage of. So, each time you see one, you should take advantage of it.

Recently, I paid in full before final payment and was told no to a price drop. My TA said she asked to speak with a supervisor at Royal and was still denied.

I called back a few days later after another price drop and a sale started. This time Royal was willing to honor the new rate but I would be taken out of the group I am in. It's not a group rate but a private group so I declined.

There is no consistency at Royal. I always hope for he best when I call.

Edited by crusinthrough

Recently, I paid in full before final payment and was told no to a price drop. My TA said she asked to speak with a supervisor at Royal and was still denied.

:eek: I think that's just as bad if not WORSE than the guy with the OV Guarantee being given an inside and no one to talk to about it.

This is part of the reason I am fundamentally opposed to pre-paying for things or parting with money earlier than I need to. They get to use you as the bank longer than they had planned on and for that they no longer treat you to the same rules and regulations as all other guests? It makes no sense.

My own dealings with RCI a month ago went smooth as could be. Almost too easy but a lot of people are having a lot of oddball issues and it seems like RCI is playing Calvin Ball :(

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Calvinball

Well said dancinman!

On my Oasis cruise, big price drop the week after final payment - nothing I could do. I called 3 different times (at least). Then there was a price drop on Junior Suite that was fairly close to my balcony rate, but they wouldn't let me do it because it was "new bookings only" - they wouldn't even let me pay the difference. The next week another promo on the Junior Suite and not only did they let me pay the small price increase, but I got a $50 OBC as part of that week's promotion. Makes no sense at all. Eventually I got into a Grand Suite, but just had to keep watching and calling. It's a lot of work, actually.

Price Protection 101

If the reservation is before final payment date and the price has dropped you can: (Final payment date is not always when you pay final payment check your RCI guest invoices for your exact final payment date)

1. Have an onboard credit issued in the difference of the price drop. (ex price is 1000.00 and it drops to 900.00 you can get 100.00 obc)

2. You can request an upgrade. You can only get an upgrade if the higher category is the same price you have paid or lower. (ex you paid 1000.00 for a D3 and the D3 dropped to 800.00 but a D2 is now 1000.00 you can upgrade to it)

3. Refund! You can request the reservations price code be updated to current pricing and the difference refunded. (ex price is 1000.00 and it drops to 900.00 you can get that updated and 100.00 will be refunded)

If the reservation is PAST final payment you can ONLY

1. You can request an upgrade. You can only get an upgrade if the higher category is the same price you have paid or lower. (ex you paid 1000.00 for a D3 and the D3 dropped to 800.00 but a D2 is now 1000.00 you can upgrade to it)

This is one that a lot of people get frustrated with. Granted people can post they have gotten around this policy but it's not easy.

This is general information and for more specific information you can contact RCI customer service for more info.

Price Protection 101

If the reservation is before final payment date and the price has dropped you can: (Final payment date is not always when you pay final payment check your RCI guest invoices for your exact final payment date)

1. Have an onboard credit issued in the difference of the price drop. (ex price is 1000.00 and it drops to 900.00 you can get 100.00 obc)

2. You can request an upgrade. You can only get an upgrade if the higher category is the same price you have paid or lower. (ex you paid 1000.00 for a D3 and the D3 dropped to 800.00 but a D2 is now 1000.00 you can upgrade to it)

3. Refund! You can request the reservations price code be updated to current pricing and the difference refunded. (ex price is 1000.00 and it drops to 900.00 you can get that updated and 100.00 will be refunded)

1. You can request an upgrade. You can only get an upgrade if the higher category is the same price you have paid or lower. (ex you paid 1000.00 for a D3 and the D3 dropped to 800.00 but a D2 is now 1000.00 you can upgrade to it)

This is one that a lot of people get frustrated with. Granted people can post they have gotten around this policy but it's not easy.

This is general information and for more specific information you can contact RCI customer service for more info.

If this is Price Protection 101, someone should give the info to CS because I was not offered an OBC. Obviously, I can't say for sure what the CS rep told the TA but I know what the TA told me.

Price Protection 101

There are exceptions to this, like the Tuesday special which usually only applies to new bookings.:cool:

Price Protection 101

Thanks! :)

My TA called RC and at this point wouldn't upgrade us even though he begged and pleaded. The price is currently $400 less than what we paid. Our TA said that was a pretty big drop from when we booked. The ship is currently at 60% capacity he said and that we will try again a little closer to departure. Here's to crossing our fingers! :cool:

Edited by Southerngal410

There are exceptions to this, like the Tuesday special which usually only applies to new bookings.:cool:

I have gotten upgrades every time I have called on the Tuesday specials. You just need to be persistent and convincing. And the cabin you are upgrading to must be higher priced than the cabin you are in.

Insist to speak to someone higher than the agent as they cant do anything.