Doggy bag

If I am unable to finish my delicious meal in the MDR, can I request to have it packed up and I can take it back to my cabin refrigerator? I would hate to waste good food. I can eat it the next day. Has anyone ever done this?

If I am unable to finish my delicious meal in the MDR, can I request to have it packed up and I can take it back to my cabin refrigerator? I would hate to waste good food. I can eat it the next day. Has anyone ever done this?

No. And I don't think the cabin coolers will keep most things cold enough for food safety.

They frequently offer to package desserts to go, and I know others that have taken them back to the cabin...but (for me) it just isn't the same as eating it at an actual table.

No. And I don't think the cabin coolers will keep most things cold enough for food safety.

^^ This. :)

sandcake, you may feel like you don't want to "waste" food, but it is better all around to just eat what you want and leave the rest. If you get hungry during non-meal times, take advantage of the other venues around the ship (I don't know what ship you are sailing on next) or room service.

The servings are not particularly large at dinner in the MDR; it is not likely to be a problem, IMO.

:)

Furthermore, there is no way to warm anything up even if you kept it on ice all night. The only thing I might consider taking might be dessert from a specialty restaurant if I couldn't eat it.

No just leave it and go the next day and repeat the delicious meal but have a smaller portion.

They have not implemented food rationing on ships as yet so this should not present a problem.

Doggy bags on ships? about as functional as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Edited by BobnJac

As others have said, the cabin "fridge" is more of a beverage cooler than a real refrigerator.

You really shouldn't worry about wasting food. Given the USPH food safety regulations, wastage is pretty much "designed" into the food service aboard the ships. Once food has left temperature control (the range, grill, or temperature controlled hot box where it is cooked or stored), USPH considers this to now be on "time control", which means that 4 hours after leaving temperature control, it must be discarded. So, every meal in the MDR, whether served to someone, or portions left on the plate, will be discarded after meal service.

You may have seen small labels on the pans in the buffet line. These indicate the time the food was removed from a hot box and placed on the hot or cold buffet line. The staff then knows when to discard the food, whether it has been touched or not.

It seems wasteful, but the lines are used to it, and can plan pretty carefully to minimize the wastage, and the regulations are designed, and do a very good job, of keeping the food safe. The instances of salmonella, e. coli, or botulism on cruise ships is much lower than at shoreside restaurants.

Furthermore, there is no way to warm anything up...

I know! Every time I have tried using the microwave in my cabin nothing happens. I really hate that there is no glass door on it so I can't try and figure out why my microwave isn't heating up. And what's up with the carpet in it anyway? lol

I know! Every time I have tried using the microwave in my cabin nothing happens. I really hate that there is no glass door on it so I can't try and figure out why my microwave isn't heating up. And what's up with the carpet in it anyway? lol

Good one!

But what Color was it?

As others have said, keeping for another day is not safe. I do see desserts to go. Sometimes I see a vacant spot at a table and at the end of the meal, the waiter brings a full plate to go (presumably for a cabin mate who did not feel up to going to MDR that night or such).

LOL! There is plenty of food for the next day....no need to "save" your unfinished meal. You will have no way to heat it, or store it...so, the next day, get a whole new meal!

You aren't "wasting" food...,it's made whether you eat it or not.

LOL! There is plenty of food for the next day....no need to "save" your unfinished meal. You will have no way to heat it, or store it...so, the next day, get a whole new meal!

You aren't "wasting" food...,it's made whether you eat it or not.

As someone else noted, the portions are small.

The only thing I have done is take some bacon from the breakfast buffet. I like BLTs for lunch and there are only bacon bits at the lunch buffet. I put it in a baggie and keep it in the ice bucket.

As others have said, the cabin "fridge" is more of a beverage cooler than a real refrigerator.

You really shouldn't worry about wasting food. Given the USPH food safety regulations, wastage is pretty much "designed" into the food service aboard the ships. Once food has left temperature control (the range, grill, or temperature controlled hot box where it is cooked or stored), USPH considers this to now be on "time control", which means that 4 hours after leaving temperature control, it must be discarded. So, every meal in the MDR, whether served to someone, or portions left on the plate, will be discarded after meal service.

You may have seen small labels on the pans in the buffet line. These indicate the time the food was removed from a hot box and placed on the hot or cold buffet line. The staff then knows when to discard the food, whether it has been touched or not.

It seems wasteful, but the lines are used to it, and can plan pretty carefully to minimize the wastage, and the regulations are designed, and do a very good job, of keeping the food safe. The instances of salmonella, e. coli, or botulism on cruise ships is much lower than at shoreside restaurants.

Might some of the food, before full 4 hours are up go to feed the crew? I would assume that they schedule, so much to cook for MDR dinner meals, and whatever was not picked goes for the crew meals! I would assume the same process for the WJ food!

Most of the Specialty resturants are cook to order!

That amazing hard working crew has to eat. In fact in reading some of the write ups on glass door the employees were mentioning that in the 7 month stint they knew how to tell the day of the week by food offerings, and it got really tidous.

Might some of the food, before full 4 hours are up go to feed the crew? I would assume that they schedule, so much to cook for MDR dinner meals, and whatever was not picked goes for the crew meals! I would assume the same process for the WJ food!

That amazing hard working crew has to eat. In fact in reading some of the write ups on glass door the employees were mentioning that in the 7 month stint they knew how to tell the day of the week by food offerings, and it got really tidous.

The crew has their own galley and they get their own Food prepared. They won´t get any of the leftovers from the Pax.

Of course their menus will be as repetitive.

Wouldn't know if it heated or not. When I tried that it absolutely would not let me take my food out. :p

Generally not. The crew have their own galley, and at NCL the food was on a 14 day rotation, so yes, you could tell the day of the week by the food. Also, the crew meal hours are different from the MDR times, so nothing could be economically saved for crew.