Are Tuxedos and DJs on the way out ?

Delboy1

Having sailed on Seabourn Odyssey this July and reading Members Reviews on other luxury ships the wearing of evening dress on Formal Nights has become less formal with less than half the men complying . Already Seabourn dress code is optional. So should we either do away with formal nights or have it as an option on World or Transatlantic cruises ?

The problem with tuxedos is all the ancillary stuff. To properly wear one, you need a tuxedo shirt, suspenders, studs, cummerbund, and patent leather shoes. It is a PITA to carry all this for one or two nights.

I did a crossing on the QE2 some years ago, and it was formal 5 of the 7 nights!

After that I swore I would never wear one again.

And let's just finally lay to rest all those powder-blue tuxes from the 80's. A cruise should not be the opportunity to trot out an old tux that was in bad taste in the first place.

Speaking for myself, I'd rather see a guy dressed less formally who did not reek of mothballs or sad nostalgia at my dinner table.

The problem with tuxedos is all the ancillary stuff. To properly wear one, you need a tuxedo shirt, suspenders, studs, cummerbund, and patent leather shoes. It is a PITA to carry all this for one or two nights.

I did a crossing on the QE2 some years ago, and it was formal 5 of the 7 nights!

After that I swore I would never wear one again.

I do. All the time

Not a drama

But each to their own

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And let's just finally lay to rest all those powder-blue tuxes from the 80's. A cruise should not be the opportunity to trot out an old tux that was in bad taste in the first place.

Speaking for myself, I'd rather see a guy dressed less formally who did not reek of mothballs or sad nostalgia at my dinner table.

As you can see from my signature picture, I represent your remark. Only the tux in the picture was only custom made a few years ago.

No mothball odor.

Scott & Karen.

Yes there is less and less of formal attire.

But that is part of changes in fashion that has been taking place as long as people were wearing clothes. Even when tuxedos the look was certainly different than many years prior to that.

Keith

We have noticed a decline on formal nights on HAL ships.

In 2013 DH was among the very, very few who wore a tuxedo on our 21 day repositioning cruise. We have done this cruise quite a few times and always saw tons of people dressed up on formal nights. We even noticed on formal nights that some men came into the dining room wearing only slacks and a shirt -- no tie -- no jacket -- and no one said anything to them. HAL.

DH will continue to wear his recently purchased tuxedo as long as we are cruising because he loves to dress formally. We have so few occasions to do it in our daily lives, that being able to on a cruise is something we both look forward to. We have learned to pack the tux in a zip-lock and he carries it and all the accoutrements in his carry-on, lest our luggage go astray and he has nothing to wear on formal night!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My DH is 82, has at least 3 tuxs, 3 white dinner jackets, many suits and look fantastic in all of them. We cruise at least twice a year and alway pack formal clothes no matter what cruise we do.

Unfortunately a sense "class" will probably die with those over 65 because the younger generations have none. Many don't take care of themselves all. I feel sorry for them, I hate to see what they will look like it they live to be 80+

We vote for formal, informal and smart casual. I would love to see real smart casual vs what passes for it these days.

Many things have killed the tux, including airline baggage restrictions, but also the sense that it is overdressing for the night. Don't see much on Princess or RCI. See sports jackets and the new question is whether ties are on the way out.

If you look into the history of cruise lines, most of those who tried to hang onto tradition are either out of business or have been absorbed by other cruise lines.

Some that have been absorbed still maintain a semblance of the bygone days, but that is also disappearing because of the preferences of the cruising public.

Not enough people prefer the elegance and style of the olden days to support a cruise line, so enjoy it while you can.

Us 2 guys really don't enjoy the tux experience. We need to don a suit and tie every day for work. Why do I want to do even more than that when I'm on vacation? I'm all for looking presentable and having a "formal" evening, but when's the last time you wore a tux to a fancy steakhouse or the like? You can look good AND smart! :)

Plus, packing one of those is a nightmare... It probably looks worse than a nice sport coat and tie with all the wrinkles. Wear your sport coat onto the plane, and have them hang it and you are SET. And it takes up much needed space in the bags and limited closet space. Our tuxes alway look "frumpy" when we brought them.

We find a nice coat with a nice shirt and tie, dress pants, and nice dress shoes/belts/watches works just fine. It's my belief and hope that formal nights are phased out. I look at the dining aboard just like I would a nice 5 star restaurant - you'd look ridiculous if you showed up in a tux. Keep those on reserve for black-tie benefits, etc.

And I'm a younger guy who I believe has a modicum of class.. :)

Edited by corpkid

As you can see from my signature picture, I represent your remark. Only the tux in the picture was only custom made a few years ago.

No mothball odor.

Scott & Karen.

Oh, hey, if you like wearing it, that's all that counts. Especially if there is no mothball smell. Stride on in pride with that powder-blue tux, dude! I actually kind of like it now that I saw your photo.

But nobody else should ever do that. Dude has earned the right. Are we clear on this???!!!

Oh, hey, if you like wearing it, that's all that counts. Especially if there is no mothball smell. Stride on in pride with that powder-blue tux, dude! I actually kind of like it now that I saw your photo.

But nobody else should ever do that. Dude has earned the right. Are we clear on this???!!!

^^^^ this made me laugh! My husband pulled out a (ready?) 70's yellow gold jacket the other day asking "keep or toss?". I can't describe the look I shot him. It has since been donated. :) Times and styles change.

^^^^ this made me laugh! My husband pulled out a (ready?) 70's yellow gold jacket the other day asking "keep or toss?". I can't describe the look I shot him. It has since been donated. :) Times and styles change.

He should have kept it. Forty years old - it`s almost qualified vintage. I cannot believe that my Auntie Gwen`s nasty old arborite fake marble-grey kitchen table with the chrome legs is what young people want now. I blame Mad Men.

He should have kept it. Forty years old - it`s almost qualified vintage. I cannot believe that my Auntie Gwen`s nasty old arborite fake marble-grey kitchen table with the chrome legs is what young people want now. I blame Mad Men.

LOL - don't make me send you a picture my 80's throwback skydive suit I wear every weekend! We have been working on this and for some reason that suit was "an issue" - I dress him well and that was more of a relic than a feature. ;)

And yes, please if you want to gift that table I'll take it!

Edited by corpkid

No, she sent it to the dump long ago. And it had really bad memories infused in it. Like being made to eat all your beans before you could leave the table. Or all us cousins being sat around that table till we confessed to which one dug up the new carrots out of the garden and ran off with them. (She lost that war. As any kid knows, ratting is social death).

If you get a table like that, be aware of the evil that might lurk in it. Children's tears. Memories of having to eat the beans battles. Bad report cards with repercussions. I'm just saying, those old arborite tables...

Plus, packing one of those is a nightmare... It probably looks worse than a nice sport coat and tie with all the wrinkles. Wear your sport coat onto the plane, and have them hang it and you are SET. And it takes up much needed space in the bags and limited closet space. Our tuxes alway look "frumpy" when we brought them.

And I'm a younger guy who I believe has a modicum of class.. :)

Packing a tux is simple - follow this video and you'll never go wrong.

We used this method when we travelled to Japan - after 33 hours in transit, we removed it from the bag, hung it in the bathroom while DH showered, and there wasn't a wrinkle to be seen.

Every man in our family (ranging from late 20's to early 70's) has their own tux and looks forward to wearing them whenever we cruise. Their ladies appreciate it also. ;)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

There is plenty of room on a cruise ship for both options.

We don't bother with it any more. We do carry on bags and never do cruises only.

Our two upcoming trips are two months and three months respectively. The first trip includes one cruise with one formal evening, the second trip includes a 14 day cruise with 2-3 formal nights. In between it is independent land travel- trains, cars, ferries, beaches, whatever.

Cannot see us lugging about the requisite clothing for a few hours on those days. Nor have we any intention of renting clothes for the event. As long as there are reasonable casual dining options on the ship we are happy. Just don't expect us to stay hidden in our stateroom on formal nights-it isn't going to happen.

And at the end of the day, we really do not care what others happen to be wearing. We have no control over it so why get would we get wound round the axle about it.