Princess getting more like Carnival

jkocpa

Has anyone else noticed that there are quite a few new cruise directors being added, and in many cases they are not being promoted from within the princess ranks of Asst Cruise Directors? It seems many are being brought over from Carnival.

Also it looks like some of the new entertainers are also coming from Carnival.

More examples of the Carnivalization of a Princess?

Not necessarily the Carnivalization. It could just be that they're better qualified candidates than any assistant CDs who applied for the positions. I can understand a Carnival CD wanting to move up to Princess ships and how being a CD on another line could give you an edge over someone who has not been in charge before.

I haven't paid attention to the entertainers as to whether they were on Carnival ships before or not. I wish that Princess would borrow some of the guest entertainers from HAL. We've seen some very entertaining ones on our HAL cruises, but they've been the types of acts that Princess doesn't seem to book.

Entertainers and CDs sometimes move from line to line. So do crew. It happens whether it's HAL to Princess, Princess to HAL, Princess to Carnival, Carnival to Princess, RCCL to/from Princess, etc. I've seen this over the years. Entertainers are independent contractors. Once their contract is up, they can go anywhere depending on availability, opportunity and a good agent. It means nothing if you see an entertainer on one line and then another.

I've seen claims about the "Carnivalization" of Princess ever since the Carnival Corporation (not to be confused with Carnival Cruise Lines) bought P&O back in 2002. At the time, P&O owned Princess. All ten brands owned by the Carnival Corporation have some savings and efficiency by sharing resources and purchasing power. However, Princess has it's own CEO, Jan Swartz, as does Carnival Cruise Lines.

Has anyone else noticed that there are quite a few new cruise directors being added, and in many cases they are not being promoted from within the princess ranks of Asst Cruise Directors? It seems many are being brought over from Carnival.

The CD role is very administrative and many assistant CDs prefer not to have to do all that administrative work.

I'll start to worry when Princess institutes the hairy chest contest.
I know what you mean. I think I could compete in the sexy legs competition, but wouldn't stand a chance in the hairy chest contest.

I'll start to worry when Princess institutes the hairy chest contest.

Actually Princess did have a hairy chest contest on the August 9th sailing of the Caribbean Princess. It was on the last sea day. We were listening to the live band on the Lido deck & noticed the entertainment crew were moving 3 chairs in a line close to the pool, for the judges to sit on, while going up to guys asking to be in the contest. When the band stopped playing, they started the hairy chest contest. It was a short contest,probably 10 to 15 minutes ,not a long contest like on the Carnival Paradise that I was on earlier this year. Not even sure if it was in the Patter or not since we were already around the pool area just enjoying the weather/band.

BTW.........First time we ever saw this being done on a Princess ship.

Edited by islandatsea

Unfortunately Princess seems to have ended their lecture series on sea days. My last Aust/NZ cruise had no lectures, compared to 2006 where there were 3 guest speakers. There was a 'sexy legs' competition this time too. Every day they had faux horse racing at 2pm.

On formal night, hardly anyone was dressed up. Saw a man in singlets, shorts, and flip flops near my table.

Sadly, Princess does seem more Carnivalised than years ago from my experience.

I now won't do long trips with Princess as I don't find their sea day activities to my liking. For longer trips I book Cunard, as they fortunately haven't changed what they are to appeal to the lowest plankton on the cruising food chain.

This topic rears its head on all the Carnival Corp owned lines. To some extent it is true, there are cheapenings and cost cuttings. Unfortunately, If your town is like mine, look around--the general population is evolving more toward the Carnival stereotypical passenger.:eek:

For longer trips I book Cunard, as they fortunately haven't changed what they are to appeal to the lowest plankton on the cruising food chain.

This topic rears its head on all the Carnival Corp owned lines. To some extent it is true, there are cheapenings and cost cuttings. Unfortunately, If your town is like mine, look around--the general population is evolving more toward the Carnival stereotypical passenger.:eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just got off carnival spirit this morning and its nothing like princess. The cruise director name was giggles and grated on everyone. I would put it below royal carribean.

So you all have a lovely jubley day. In my best cd giggles voice.

For the past 22 consecutive years, Carnival Cruise Line has enjoyed the highest guest satisfaction ratings and the highest profits of any cruise line on Earth.

That's quite an achievement.

Carnival didn't invent those numbers. The cruising public awarded them.

I don't agree with those results, and I wouldn't think of cruising on a Carnival Ship.

At the same time it is quite difficult to argue with a success of this magnitude.

Nobody ever lost any money underestimating the taste of the American Public.

EVERY Cruise Line CEO on Earth would give just about anything to be able to match Carnival's numbers.

None of this sounds particularly unusual. A lot of this stuff was happening on Princess ships back in 2011. And there was at least one lecturer on the Island Princess on the coastal repo I did last year. I imagine a lot of it depends on the personnel running the ship and the itinerary (you're probably a lot more likely to have lecturers on cruises with lots of sea days than you would on port-intensive cruises.)

............ Unfortunately, If your town is like mine, look around--the general population is evolving more toward the Carnival stereotypical passenger.:eek:

Or, depending on where you are around here, even worse than that.......

Edited by ar1950

More true words have never been said! We have lived in the same townhome community for over 20 years. It was so lovely when we moved here. All you neighbors were nice, said hello to each other, smiled if you passed them while walking the dog.

Now we can't wait to retire and get the heck out of here. Everyone one is so rude and self-absorbed. When I walk the dog, I will say 'hi' and the person will look down or away. :(

People park in others parking spots. Leave garbage laying in hallways. Complaints to the management fall on deaf ears. I guess they are like Princess and don't want to offend anyone. ;)

Actually Princess did have a hairy chest contest on the August 9th sailing of the Caribbean Princess. It was on the last sea day. We were listening to the live band on the Lido deck & noticed the entertainment crew were moving 3 chairs in a line close to the pool, for the judges to sit on, while going up to guys asking to be in the contest. When the band stopped playing, they started the hairy chest contest. It was a short contest,probably 10 to 15 minutes ,not a long contest like on the Carnival Paradise that I was on earlier this year. Not even sure if it was in the Patter or not since we were already around the pool area just enjoying the weather/band.

It was in the patter, I noticed it listed and kinda went 'huh?'. Pretty sure (but not absolutely positive) that it's the first time I've seen it on Princess. I don't tend to spend lots of time sitting around the pools, but I have to admit, not quite the direction I'd really like to see.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The only pool game that I can think of as being more obnoxious is the lip sync with a banana used as a microphone contest. Six carnival cruises and they always seem to use the "Dude Looks Like a Lady" song.

None of this sounds particularly unusual. A lot of this stuff was happening on Princess ships back in 2011. And there was at least one lecturer on the Island Princess on the coastal repo I did last year. I imagine a lot of it depends on the personnel running the ship and the itinerary (you're probably a lot more likely to have lecturers on cruises with lots of sea days than you would on port-intensive cruises.)

We were told last winter that port-intensive itineraries would no longer have any lecturers. We did have one in 135 days on Princess last year...and he brought along a healthy supply of his books to sell afterwards. Oh, and the hypnotist selling weight loss CDs. But nothing related to the itineraries at all.

For longer trips I book Cunard, as they fortunately haven't changed what they are to appeal to the lowest plankton on the cruising food chain.

LOL

As opposed to what? A middle feeder?

Some Princess "middle feeders" often forget that there's bigger fish than them out there in the big deep blue.

HINT: Princess may not be the lowest rent. But it's still rent.