Traditional Dining

Nāmaka

In the past we have always used Anytime Dining. On our upcoming cruise we have decided to try the Traditionl Dining. When we check in and receive our cruise cards, will they have the dining room and table number already printed on the card or will we be assigned a table on the first evening?

thank you :)

Yes you will have your assigns dining room and table number on your cruise card. Something to think about is the table size. We prefer traditional dining and like meeting other cruisers so we generally request a larger table. You can do this in the Cruise Personalized. Also keep in ind if you don't like your table mates you can request to be reassigned by the Maître d. We have done this one time, but in our 10+ cruises we have met so many great people while dining. Enjoy your cruise!

The request in the Cruise Personalizer or through your travel agent is just a request. Princess's maitre d's try to accommodate all the requests, but sometimes it doesn't work out at first. We always request a table for 8 because that seems to work best for us. We've been assigned tables for 4 a few times and also a table for 2 once. We stuck with the tables for 4 but requested to be moved when we had a table for 2.

I'm actually toying with the idea of trying anytime dining again. We've only had it once and did not enjoy it. If we do, however, it would be so that we could have a fling with all the specialty restaurants--trying the Crown Grill, going back to Sabatini's to see the changes that they have made since we dined there a decade ago, trying the Crab Shack, maybe splurging with another Ultimate Balcony Dinner, and even eating pizza and watching a movie at MUTS one night. I don't think it's right to have traditional dining when you know you won't be there half the time.

Edited by geoherb

If you get lucky a table for 6 is excellent. A table for 8 can also be good. Anything larger seems like it's just too big for the entire table to engage in conversation. I just can't hear what is going on. A table for 4 sounds risky to me...

Colo cruiser

What would you do on a table of 8 and the family did not speak a single word of English you have mum and dad two kids and two grand parents they chat away like crazy smile at you ever so often.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

We had a table of 8 on second sitting for a cruse three weeks ago. Great table companions and I was pleasantly surprised we were all in the same age range.

No coffin dodgers or couples with youngsters!

Coffin dodgers. lol..that is so rude...but I laughed so hard I snorted.

Colo cruiser

What would you do on a table of 8 and the family did not speak a single word of English you have mum and dad two kids and two grand parents they chat away like crazy smile at you ever so often.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

When in Rome.

Thanks for all your replies. :) We have requested a table for 2. I am traveling with my niece, and dinner will probably be the only time we have together to chat. During the day we each do our own thing and I am sure I will be asleep by the time she gets in for the night. ;)

One of our worst tables was on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Fortunately it was only 4 nights. Checking ahead of time would not have helped us, because we were assigned to a table that seated 8. The unfortunate part was that the couple we were seated with had nothing in common with us. We were on our second cruise and they were on their 20-something one. We were in our late 20s/early 30s and they were in their 70s. Conversation consisted of our asking what they had done that day. "Nothing." Or asking what they had enjoyed in the port. "Nothing." We call them Fred and Ethel.

We had a similarly aged couple on a Holland America cruise a few years later. They were delightful.

Also love dining with coffin dodgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were seated with people who were all together and ran quite an age gamut. By far the most interesting one in the group was the coffin dodger. My wife enjoyed talking with her immensely.

At the risk of sounding like a bleeding heart, it has surprised me how lately in some of these threads peoples' biases have been exposed, one thread was so bad recently it was removed.

However, I must say that I am never ceased to be amazed over what a fine job the maître-ds do in matching up tablemates. Over the years, I can only think of one occasion where in hindsight I had wished we had requested a table change but we were new cruising and didn't know that you could do that.

We request a table for 2 in Anytime Dining. Its the best of both worlds - usually the tables for 2 are close enough that you can have a conversation with your neighbors IF YOU WANT - but still have a little bit of privacy and dine at your own pace.