Just off the Oosterdam - My thoughts

chrismch

We did the southerly route from Seward to Vancouver from 8//24 to 9/1 after a land tour. Have to say the staff on ship were 10 x better than those in the 'hospitality" areas for the land portion. We boarded the ship around 5:30 pm after arriving by train, which was handled in an orderly fashion. The train let out passengers on a car by car basis so they weren't overwhelmed. Since we were in a suite, we got through the line in minutes flat. Our bags were already in the room from those that were sent ahead and we added our carry-ons from the train.

We usually book a standard verandah, but were offered a suite at a good upsell and took it. We really appreciated all the extra storage, desk and balcony space. Got a laugh out of what they called a bouquet of flowers as a perk in the room. However, we did appreciate the double sinks, jetted tub and shower. Booked that size again for our HAL cruise next year. We unpacked before heading out to the Lido for a quick snack before the 7:30 pm lifeboat drill.

After the drill we had an 8:30 reservation at Canaletto. Service was wonderful. Each course had enough to share and was nicely presented. The only negative was the details on the menu. It showed Sea Bass as an entrée - which was the reason I wanted to dine there. Per our server, we were told they hadn't served Sea bass in about two months. They do have a printer on board, so you would think they could update their menu.

Prior to the cruise we had read reviews that said the public rooms looked a bit shabby. I thought they looked fresh like it had recently been updated. The only item that looked tired to me were some of the elevators day of the week rugs.

Things we appreciated about the ship were the personal service at Explorations Café and the new Dive In Café. Love the new menu with the crisp coated fries. Portabella "burger was great, as were the beef burgers and all-beef hot dogs. Only problem is the service is really slow and they need buzzers to call you when it's ready.

Lido meals have separate sections so you can stop at the area of your choice which I liked. The Pizza has improved since my last cruise but still needs some work to make it as good as your neighborhood pizza parlor. Some "secrets" I discovered about Lido breakfast. They have Greek yogurt, turkey sausage, turkey bacon and vegie links - you just have to ask them to get it for you.

Meals in the MDR were slow as usual and they had trouble with multiple appetizer orders. Had to be reminded what was ordered.

Tried Pinnacle once for dinner. We shared a table with another couple. We were not asked if we wanted to share a table but were just brought to the table. Our dining partners were great, only we wished we had been at least given an option of dining choices. We've been to Pinnacle on other cruises and it always seems hit or miss. This was a bit of a miss. The shrimp cocktail was a hit with truly jumbo shrimp with a nice firm texture. The beefsteak tomato and basil was a miss. It was three halves of a large hot-house tomato that had no taste with the basil and pesto being applied like a seasoning rather than a dressing. The porterhouse was flavorful but a little bit tough. I ordered the crab leg which were supposed to be broiled but came out like they had been steamed and seemed more like they had been chilled rather than heated. However, we did have good bar service during the meal.

The Spa - we really splurged on the treatments. Did the Fire and Ice pedicure with the no chip polish - still looks great 10 days later. My DH did a regular manicure and his hands still look great as well. He did a Swedish massage which he said they could have done for hours as it felt so wonderful. I did one of their port day specials called "5 Steps to Heaven" and it was. Can't stop thinking about how great each of the individual spa treatments of this head to toe pampering were. Can't wait to have it again on the next cruise.

Here's my only negatives on the spa. When you are presented with the bill, it already includes an 18 or 20% pre-paid gratuity and then they ask if you would like to add an extra tip. I do not like seeing pre-paid tips for services and then being asked if I would like to add a tip. But that's just me, maybe others have no issue with that. Secondly, when you do a "signature" treatment on a port day, you are supposed to be given a discount for your mariner status. I was charged full price and had to ask for the discount.

The spa's "Triple your indulgence" is also not spelled out succinctly in the daily program. It says you will get a 10% discount on your first treatment then 20% on the second and 30% on the third. What they failed to note is that they all have to be booked at one time. If you merely decide to add treatments as you go through the week, there are no discounts.

Entertainment - only saw two production shows as our dining times seemed to be when the shows were on. Saw the magician, James Cielen who had a bit of a different style as he used dogs as his assistants. Amusing but not a great wow factor. Missed the comedian. Spent a little time at the Piano bar with Larry who was a bit low key, but I'm spoiled by Jimmy's style so we didn't stay long. The best was the HAL Cats with Ben. It's been my experience that these bands usually are more of a "loungy" group who play standards without too much pizzazz. These guys actually seemed like they enjoyed playing, played with style and engaged their audience. Looked forward to hearing them nightly.

Found the bartenders in the crow's nest and by the pool friendly and helpful. Had no problems anywhere with my signature beverage card. Only wish I could have used it more often in the Lido - fell in love with Vitamin water in the mornings and had to get it at a bar and bring it in.

Our cruise director, Shane was a bit reserved and not good with the jokes. The captain on the other hand made announcements that were witty and funny and you actually wanted to know what he had to say. He was also great at pointing out wildlife when we were in the Inside passage.

Our cabin attendants were superb. They quickly made up our room and made sure we were fully stocked with supplies. They even folded the occasional shirt that was strewn on the sofa or folded my loose socks in my shoes. They also did not take away half-full beverages which I appreciated as I'm sometimes slow in finishing them. If I emptied them, they were removed at their next visit.

Room service - did this a couple of times including breakfast on embarkation day. The food came at the scheduled time and was HOT as it had a hot metal chaser under it to keep it warm. It also always included everything I ordered.

Debarkation - was a breeze as we usually stay in our room and take our time getting ready to leave. Waited for last luggage tag color to be called and walked off the ship and immediately found our bags. We had an extended stay in Vancouver so we were in no rush to head to the hotel.

Thank you for reviewing your Oosterdam cruise.

Was the Pinnacle Grill fully booked that you had to sit with other pasengers?

You were fortunate to be sailing with Captain Bos.......a great Captain.

Edited by erewhon

I enjoyed your review and it seems as though you had a wonderful trip.

I hope your experience of being seated with strangers in the Pinnacle Grill was a fluke and not something HAL is running up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

If it were to become common practice we would not pay the extra money to dine there. Part of what we are charged for is the assurance of privacy at our table.

Edited by sapper1

Thanks for the nice review!

I think it would be very awkward to brought to a table (and not informed) with another couple. What were they thinking? I'm glad your unexpected tablemates were great, but I would not have been happy taking that chance.

Glad you had a nice cruise!

Interesting review - thanks so much for taking the time to share with us.

Like the others, I find the report on the Pinnacle disturbing. Great that you had nice table mates, but not to be asked if you minded to share a table with someone else is poor service IMO. I do hope it's a fluke and not a new practice.

Edited by kazu

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review.

Strange what they did to you in the Pinnacle, never seen that done. I think I also would have had trouble with it.

I also have never heard of that, were they crowded?

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review.

Strange what they did to you in the Pinnacle, never seen that done. I think I also would have had trouble with it.

I've never heard of that either. When my wife and I are alone on a cruise, we've never been asked if wanted to share a table for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The Pinnacle Grill didn't seem like it was fully booked. As a matter of fact, right before we signed in a group of three asked if they could get a table that night. They were told to return a little later. While we were having our appetizers, they were seated at the empty table in front of us.

I don't know if this was done because of all the bonus Pinnacle dinners they were doing for this cruise or it was just a fluke of the maître d'. We've never been asked before at any specialty restaurant on any other cruise line if we'd like to share a table. This has only been asked in MDR's.

The other couple merely smiled when I said, "You must have come in right before us." Neither of us brought up the topic of sharing as we probably both thought this was the norm like in the MDR.

Today, I did ask my DH again if I had missed the maître d' saying something about sharing a table. He assured me he had not. We both recall him asking our name for the reservation and then saying "Follow me, your table is ready."

Here's my notes for the land portion. Enjoyed it as much if not more than the cruise.

We just completed a land and cruise with HAL and thought I'd pass on what I learned to help others.When we landed at the Fairbanks airport, someone holding both a HAL and Princess sign met us and told us to go directly to baggage claim and we would meet someone there with further directions. This is a small airport and we ALL went to one area.

Again, there was someone there with a HAL/Princess sign. This person gave us our hotel packet which included our room key (and number), luggage tags that said "meet me on the ship" or "meet me the hotel." and info for our pick up time the next morning for our tour in Denali. The wait for the transfer to the ship was 30-40 minutes and seemed a bit disorganized they separated us by hotel delivery. But all left one behind the other.

They DID NOT separate our bags at this time, all went to the hotel with us. However, make sure you have ALL tags you'll need from the airport. Do NOT expect the staff to be at the hotel. We were told they would be there for extra tags until 9:30 pm. We got there at 9:10 pm and they had closed up shop already.

Transfer of bags to ship: We were required to have our bags outside by 6:30 am for delivery to the ship AND those going ahead to Denali. We could personally travel with 2 additional small bags to keep with us, most only had one backpack or small bag. They picked them up by 7AM.

Fairbanks Westmark Hotel - There are no restaurants nearby - meaning for at least 7 blocks. Seems to be more in a business district meaning no shopping either. There are 2 onsite restaurants. The main one has entrees starting in the mid $20's. The more casual one had sandwiches starting at $16. Interesting note... you could get crab cakes for $14 but buffalo wings were $16. Though the hotel was at least 50% or more full, there were only 3 cars in the parking lot.

The room at the Fairmont. Two comfy double beds, dresser, two night stands and black out curtains. . There was a front sitting room with a desk, chair and and a second chair. . The bathroom had a sink outside and the tub/shower and commode were there own room.

Thanks for the good review, makes me feel at ease. We will be on the Oosterdam next summer. My question is what is the big deal about eating at other restaurants on board the ship where you need reservations and have to pay more money just to eat there? I feel I have paid so much money for this trip to begin with, I have no desire to have to spend more once on board just to eat. That is my personal choice and opinion.