Pinnacle Class Information

Woobstr112G

I'm not sure.... at what size in these days of huge ships, does one start to qualify as Mega ship?

Does 99,000 ton make it mega?

(I'm not being sarcastic... it's a real question. )

I don't know if there is anything "official" but CC uses the following designations:

Mega ship - over 3000 passengers

Big ship - 2000 - 2999

Mid sized - 950 - 1999

Small ships - 1 - 949

Looking at the rendering of ms Koningsdam, it looks like there is indeed a promenade on the deck above the lifeboats. Whether it wraps around completely remains to be seen. It may be a partial promenade like the Waterfront on Norwegian's Breakaway class.

Looking at the Queen Victoria deck plans, they indicate that she is 90,000GT. Koningsdam will be 10 percent larger, so she cannot be identical, but maybe a fraternal twin...

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

I don't know if there is anything "official" but CC uses the following designations:

Big ship - 2000 - 2999

Mid sized - 950 - 1999

Small ships - 1 - 949

That sounds reasonable categorizing.

Thanks. :)

15239382371_c38727d2e4_z.jpg

This is a cropped portion of a picture of the QV I found on flickr. It does indeed seem to have a walking promenade. Only thing to worry about would be if they moved the lifeboats down to deck level in response to those new safety regulations.....

Bob

You are correct about this. The QV does in fact have a wrap around promenade.

http://www.avidcruiser.com/cruise-reviews/luxury-cruises/cunard-line/queen-victoria/

Edited by oysterdam

Koningsdam will not be "just like the Queen Victoria"

It's being built on a wider and longer hull for one thing.

The Lido Magrodome will enclose two decks in height rather than one (on the Victoria the magrodome is over a lounge and the midship pool is open) and a premium restaurant(s) will be aft of the funnel facing the stern rather than ahead facing forward.

And yes, the Victoria and Elizabeth have full Promenades - although they are much narrower than those aboard HAL vessels - to accommodate the larger interior spaces. This is largely why they have their lifeboat drills inside.

I posted the following last week while on Rotterdam. Info came from a source I consider very knowledgeble.

A officer onboard (I won't say the title due to privacy) is one we've sailed with twice, including last October's Eurodam cruise. We got to know him well then and were delighted to see him onboard. We talked to him a good show Sunday and he let loose a few new HAL ship rumors/facts.

The ship will be 10 letters, inclusive of "dam". It was going to be Neuw Rotterdam but that got axe'd.

As far design, It will look identical to Queen Victoria. Very few differences.

It will have several new dining options but keep the MDR. It's designer is actually onboard this cruise and Rotterdam's next drydock will mimic the new ship design a bit.

The theme will be music. It will feature lots of new technology.

I didn't post then but the focus of the ship is culinary, it'll feature many new/different culinary options.

I was told HAL can put about 20-30 or so cabins in place of the full promenade deck. If you think about the money generated each week by eliminating "dead space" it's a no brainer to the money crunchers. I tend to think it'll have a full promenade but you have to go up a flight of stairs near the bow, ala some Princess ships.

Edited by sppunk

I tend to think it'll have a full promenade but you have to go up a flight of stairs near the bow, ala some Princess ships.

The photo that HAL posted shows leads me to believe it would have a forward crossover between the Theatre and the forward machinery space like the current vessels - I don't see stairs leading forward and up.

Big ship - 2000 - 2999

Mid sized - 950 - 1999

Small ships - 1 - 949

That sounds reasonable categorizing.

Thanks. :)

I somewhat agree that it does seem like a reasonable categorization. The only thing I might say though is I always thought mega ships were over the 120K ton mark. The new Hal ship while bigger than the Signature and Vista class ships barely hits the 100' date='000 mark. Every Princess new build since the Grand (1999) with the exception of the Coral/Island has been over 100K. NCL's Epic/Breakaway class are huge, and RCCL has been building behemoths since 1999 (with the exception of the Radiance class). I might be hesitant to classify a ship that barely hits the 100k mark as a mega ship. Just my humble opinion.....:):):)

Bob[/size']

Edited by Woobstr112G

I posted the following last week while on Rotterdam. Info came from a source I consider very knowledgeble.

I didn't post then but the focus of the ship is culinary, it'll feature many new/different culinary options.

I was told HAL can put about 20-30 or so cabins in place of the full promenade deck. If you think about the money generated each week by eliminating "dead space" it's a no brainer to the money crunchers. I tend to think it'll have a full promenade but you have to go up a flight of stairs near the bow, ala some Princess ships.

That would be a heck of a lot better that what Princess offers on the Royal/Regal or what Celebrity offers on a Solstice class ship......

Bob

Koningsdam will not be "just like the Queen Victoria"

OV was originally planned for HAL as a Vista class ship but was then transferred to P&O and then to Cunard. It is basically based on the Vista/Signature class ships.

And yes, Koningsdam will be wider that the Vista/Signature class ships.

Edited by Boytjie

Looking at the rendering of ms Koningsdam, it looks like there is indeed a promenade on the deck above the lifeboats. Whether it wraps around completely remains to be seen. It may be a partial promenade like the Waterfront on Norwegian's Breakaway class.

Looking at the Queen Victoria deck plans, they indicate that she is 90,000GT. Koningsdam will be 10 percent larger, so she cannot be identical, but maybe a fraternal twin...

Not sure where you're seeing this? The only thing above the lifeboats is a row of balcony cabins. A promenade deck would not have partitions which this rendering clearly shows above the lifeboats.

There will be a narrow promenade deck that runs behind the lifeboats, and a few spots that actually open up to a full ocean view. The aft section of the promenade also appears to be unobstructed although it's completely covered and I'm doubtful there will be any loungers there. I'm guessing the forward section of the promenade will be pretty much enclosed behind bulkheads with no view, and wrap around the show lounge just like on the EURODAM/NIEUW AMSTERDAM and QUEEN VICTORIA/QUEEN ELIZABETH. I also don't anticipate any public access to the outside bow area is this is not permitted on the aforementioned ships expect perhaps during special occasions.

Unfortunately the wonderful open and wrap-around style promenade deck so beloved on existing HAL vessels will be history on KONINGSDAM. Once again Carnival Corp. accountants win out and the loss of a traditional promenade deck means a full deck of revenue producing balcony cabins.

The Lido Magrodome will enclose two decks in height rather than one (on the Victoria the magrodome is over a lounge and the midship pool is open)

The Carnival Dream Class ships have a similar arrangement and I don't like it. It makes the center pool area feel like a deep well with lots of echoing & extra noise especially if music is playing (and this is without a glass magrodome). I can only imagine it's worse if completely closed in. Doesn't make for a relaxing atmosphere.

Regarding my question about the Promenade deck; I received the following from HAL on another social media network

Hi Robert, thanks for asking! Images of the public decks and staterooms of ms Koningsdam will be shared as soon as they are made available, watch for a dedicated section on our website. Since the ship is currently under construction, follow the building progress on our blog, here is a recent article about the ship’s keel laying. http://*******/1pe3HRB. Hope this helps, happy cruising

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I looked back at some old paperwork. In 1983 we paid $1400 for an inside cabin 7 nights on HAL. Today they are advertising $299. Adjusted to inflation that $1400 would now be about $3400 (ala Crystal or Seabourn).

At $299 they either need more cabins or more retail (shops, bars, surcharge restaurants).

My guess is that in the future Promenade decks will resemble The Waterfront on NCL with balcony cabins around it.