Pinnacle Class Information

Woobstr112G

Sorry for any confusion caused, I was referring to the Promenade deck.....

Bob

What would be a SOLAS violation with a full wrap around Promenade Deck? :confused:

Sorry to bombard you with these questions but you seem to know the answers. :)

Thanks for sharing with us.

Edited by sail7seas

What would be a SOLAS violation with a full wrap around Promenade Deck? :confused:

It's not how about the promenade deck, it is about the uncertainly of lifeboat placement. There was talk about the lifeboats needing to be placed on level to enter without lowering. I'm not sure if SOLAS actually will mandate that or not, I'm thinking it never came to ultimate fruition.

IF it did, a promenade deck would be difficult because you'd have to have the lifeboats on it too.

Again, I don't think this is the end result though.

Koningsdam will not be "just like the Queen Victoria"

It's being built on a wider and longer hull for one thing.

The Lido Magrodome will enclose two decks in height rather than one (on the Victoria the magrodome is over a lounge and the midship pool is open) and a premium restaurant(s) will be aft of the funnel facing the stern rather than ahead facing forward.

And yes, the Victoria and Elizabeth have full Promenades - although they are much narrower than those aboard HAL vessels - to accommodate the larger interior spaces. This is largely why they have their lifeboat drills inside.

HM -- it is already crowded on HAL ships for lifeboat drill. Having the Promenade narrower will really be tight.

And I guess that means the end of the lounge chairs on the Promenade??

Thanks' date=' I was going to ask the same question.:confused:[/quote']

It has to do with placement of the lifeboats. The regulations seem to indicate they have to be more accessible (i.e. at level with or a tad lower than the deck. If the life boats were around level with the deck the boats themselves along with their equipment would leave little space for a walk around Promenade deck. Another issue, in addition to the lifeboat placement, that could affect the Promenade deck would be designs that were steered towards maximizing profits over an outside deck to walk on.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

It has to do with placement of the lifeboats. The regulations seem to indicate they have to be more accessible (i.e. at level with or a tad lower than the deck. If the life boats were around level with the deck the boats themselves along with their equipment would leave little space for a walk around Promenade deck. Another issue, in addition to the lifeboat placement, that could affect the Promenade deck would be designs that were steered towards maximizing profits over an outside deck to walk on.....

Bob

OK. SOLAS talks about location of survival craft (their fancy name for lifeboats) during boarding. Doesn't really dictate (per se) how you store them.

My thought is more inline with increased $$$. Right now there are cabins with "obstructed view" that generate fewer dollars than the non-obstructed view. If moving the lifeboats opens this up, then there would no longer be obstructed view cabins, thus higher $$$.

Not sure where you're seeing this? The only thing above the lifeboats is a row of balcony cabins. A promenade deck would not have partitions which this rendering clearly shows above the lifeboats.

There will be a narrow promenade deck that runs behind the lifeboats, and a few spots that actually open up to a full ocean view. The aft section of the promenade also appears to be unobstructed although it's completely covered and I'm doubtful there will be any loungers there. I'm guessing the forward section of the promenade will be pretty much enclosed behind bulkheads with no view, and wrap around the show lounge just like on the EURODAM/NIEUW AMSTERDAM and QUEEN VICTORIA/QUEEN ELIZABETH. I also don't anticipate any public access to the outside bow area is this is not permitted on the aforementioned ships expect perhaps during special occasions.

Unfortunately the wonderful open and wrap-around style promenade deck so beloved on existing HAL vessels will be history on KONINGSDAM. Once again Carnival Corp. accountants win out and the loss of a traditional promenade deck means a full deck of revenue producing balcony cabins.

Sorry, you are entirely correct, of course. I think I must have been projecting. I was so focused on the wrap of the aft balconies and the truncation forward that I instantly went to Norwegian Breakaway in my mind. I do see all the balcony partitions, but they're so blurry at the back. That probably reinforced my error.

Based on your description, above, HAL should be worried about inviting comparisons with Norwegian Epic, one of the most inward-focused ships in the industry. Norwegian's marketing mea culpa, selling Breakaway, was all about "the romance of traveling on water." The Seaview pool and Crow's Nest on Koningsdam better be really nice. :p

Not sure if this has been posted on another thread.

Captain Albert recently mentioned in his blog that there will be 5 specialty restaurants.

"The ship is an evolution again from the Vista and Signature class and will incorporate the latest “needs” in the industry. Do not expect an ice-skating rink or a rock climbing wall, but the number of specialty restaurants will be boosted up to five. On the Nieuw Amsterdam, there are currently three; Pinnacle (Pacific Northwest cuisine), the Canaletto (Italian) and the Tamarind (Asian fusion). Now there will be two more. What they will serve is still a well-guarded secret."

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/20...bor-maine-usa/

Edited by oysterdam

I wonder if the lifeboats will be similar to Norwegian's Epic. In this picture that I took, you can see where the lifeboat is located and you enter directly from the deck:

1296.JPG

In other words, the lifeboat doesn't have to be lowered down to the deck.

From everyone's analysis of the rendering, I think the "promenade" will be exactly like Epic. But as I posted in my "mea culpa" response to a false impression I had earlier, Epic's lack of an unobstructed promenade was so poorly received that Norwegian modified it's Epic-now-Breakaway-class to bring us the Waterfront. (And frankly, the Waterfront is a clever way of having a 3/4-mile long promenade while also generating revenue.;)) So, for a line like HAL, given its traditional clientele, to just eliminate the open promenade and not replace it with some viable alternative seems scandalous even to me. If folks didn't accept the promenade on Epic, they certainly won't accept it on Koningsdam.

Not sure if this has been posted on another thread.

Captain Albert recently mentioned in his blog that there will be 5 specialty restaurants.

"The ship is an evolution again from the Vista and Signature class and will incorporate the latest “needs” in the industry. Do not expect an ice-skating rink or a rock climbing wall, but the number of specialty restaurants will be boosted up to five. On the Nieuw Amsterdam, there are currently three; Pinnacle (Pacific Northwest cuisine), the Canaletto (Italian) and the Tamarind (Asian fusion). Now there will be two more. What they will serve is still a well-guarded secret."

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/20...bor-maine-usa/

Sounds good to me. All the more reason HAL should borrow/steal the Waterfront concept from Norwegian. I would think it would translate very nicely on HAL ships.

From everyone's analysis of the rendering, I think the "promenade" will be exactly like Epic. But as I posted in my "mea culpa" response to a false impression I had earlier, Epic's lack of an unobstructed promenade was so poorly received that Norwegian modified it's Epic-now-Breakaway-class to bring us the Waterfront. (And frankly, the Waterfront is a clever way of having a 3/4-mile long promenade while also generating revenue.;)) So, for a line like HAL, given its traditional clientele, to just eliminate the open promenade and not replace it with some viable alternative seems scandalous even to me. If folks didn't accept the promenade on Epic, they certainly won't accept it on Koningsdam.

I agree with you.

Unless I am mistaken, I think sushi is already available at Tamarind.

It is, but it's not a real sushi bar atmosphere. I can see them making it more of a standalone place where you interact with the sushi chefs. I'm just spitballin', I wasn't told any specifics regarding the new eateries.

It is, but it's not a real sushi bar atmosphere. I can see them making it more of a standalone place where you interact with the sushi chefs. I'm just spitballin', I wasn't told any specifics regarding the new eateries.

Ah, yes. I understand, now. Agree that might well be a good addition. I think Crystal offers such a venue on their ships and it is well patronized I have been told.

However, please: not a Tex-Mex venue (with apologies to those posters who do enjoy such cuisine). Such cuisine does not agree with my digestive system.

Ah, yes. I understand, now. Agree that might well be a good addition. I think Crystal offers such a venue on their ships and it is well patronized I have been told.

However, please: not a Tex-Mex venue (with apologies to those posters who do enjoy such cuisine). Such cuisine does not agree with my digestive system.

I'd be shocked to see a tex mex. I think you can rest assured that won't happen.