Luggage Tags Staplers

kruisey

Does everybody keep a stapler in their private residences?Or are we supposed to go out and purchase one especially to staple Princess luggage tags?

Or does one cart luggage down to an office block and ask if one can use their stapler;)

Hi Kruisey;

We do not use staples, we use a strip of clear packing tape that goes the length of the tag and sticks to the other end when wrapped around the tag. It not only holds more securely than staples, it also serves to protect the information on the tag from smearing if it gets wet.

There are also reusable tag holders available from Cruise Critic store or many office supply stores that will hold the printed tag and attaches to your bag. We are cheap and just use the tape successfully!

Fair winds

Dave

You don't have a stapler??? I would invest in one, they're very handy. :D

and cheap! A mini stapler can be bought at walmart, office depot etc for less than $2.50 (and it fits in your purse should you want to take it with you anywhere!).

I do use the reusable plastic luggage tags when cruising but I couldn't live without a little stapler in my home office.

Edited by capriccio

I have a couple of staplers at the house, a full size desk top model and one of those little mini things. I don't have to worry about ink smearing as I also have a color laser printer, not an ink jet, although I will keep the tape trick under consideration in case of bad weather.

I use the plastic holders that can be purchased here, Amazon, and many other places. Have used mine for about 9 cruises and they still look new. I just put my paper tags in them before leaving home and keep them in the small front pocket of the suitcases. When I get my suitcases at the final destination, just pull them out and attach them. No worries of getting wet and smeared or torn off and do not need a stapler at final airport. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Kruisey;

We do not use staples, we use a strip of clear packing tape that goes the length of the tag and sticks to the other end when wrapped around the tag. It not only holds more securely than staples, it also serves to protect the information on the tag from smearing if it gets wet.

There are also reusable tag holders available from Cruise Critic store or many office supply stores that will hold the printed tag and attaches to your bag. We are cheap and just use the tape successfully!

Fair winds

Dave

YEs YES:)

We have staplers at home, but usually fly in a day or more ahead of the cruise. I wait until we are checking out of the hotel and ask the front desk to loan us one for a minute

We do the same. Or another option is using the stapler at the dock. There are always people picking up tags when they get to the port. The luggage guys will have one around. We know from experience.:o

We don't put the tags on at home. Just the morning of boarding.

Yup! Clear plastic packing tape does the trick everytime. Sturdy, doesn't tear easily, and your info doesn't get lost even if it is wet.

No need to buy special tag holders - they just get wrecked on the plane and on conveyor belts anyhow (of course - assuming you have to fly to get to the port!)

Yup! Clear plastic packing tape does the trick everytime. Sturdy, doesn't tear easily, and your info doesn't get lost even if it is wet.

No need to buy special tag holders - they just get wrecked on the plane and on conveyor belts anyhow (of course - assuming you have to fly to get to the port!)

I've used mine for 3 cruises so far and no damage as of yet! They hold up great. You shouldn't attach the cruise tags until you're off the plane anyway so the airline baggage handlers don't have to look at more tags than necessary.

I'm sure tape works fine but so do the clear plastic tags. Mine are from Serendipity, are heavy duty and inexpensive. I do as USAF Retired does; put the paper in the holders before I leave home, put one in the outside pocket of each bag, and they're right there ready to attach when we're on the way to the port!

Of course I own a stapler. Every home office should have one...

I stapled my tags for my first cruise but after that I purchased the plastic hanging tag holders. They are, in my opinion, great. I'll be putting my next set of tags into them soon. :)

I have a couple of staplers at the house, a full size desk top model and one of those little mini things. I don't have to worry about ink smearing as I also have a color laser printer, not an ink jet, although I will keep the tape trick under consideration in case of bad weather.

I staple first then tape over it! I keep the mini stapler in my luggage so I always know where it is!

...You shouldn't attach the cruise tags until you're off the plane anyway so the airline baggage handlers don't have to look at more tags than necessary...

I completely agree!!!!! No matter how you attach them don't do it until you're heading to the port.

Not quite the same thing, but on a trip to Disney World we were using their "deliver luggage straight to your room option" where you put a similar tag on your luggage before your flight. Something happened to the tags on the flight and we didn't get our luggage until the day after our arrival. We had to fill out a missing luggage report for the Disney World staff, who then searched the luggage areas at the airport for the bags. This happens often enough that they have a process, staff and vehicles dedicated to it.

We do not print out our luggage tags. Nor do we do any of those home hobbies to make custom tags. We don't tape them on to the side of our luggage.

We wait until we get to the dock. We get a tag from the porter-if needed. Thirty seconds later the tags are filled out and we are on our way. No need to bother with staplers or anything else. Just have your stateroom number handy so you can mark it on the tag! No staplers required.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by iancal

Our TA sends our printed tags already enclosed in plastic luggage tag holders. She does this for every cruise. We now have quite the collection of plastic holders. Is this unusual for a TA to do? If so, we are seriously spoiled. :D

Cheers, Denise

I use shipping tape to cover the front of the luggage tags.

On the day of sailing, I actually use regular "scotch" tape to adhere the ends together. I use several pieces and tape over tape. I keep a role of tape in the pocket of my carryon bag to do it. I have not had any issues with this method.

I don't live close to a port so I don't have a way of using the stapler I own and have in my house.

We have everything on our computer desk at home that would be on a desk at work without all the WORK.:D

I use the serendipity ones, put our ID in them for flying, then when we get ready to head for the ship, I take out the ID, put it between the folded Princess tag and slip all back in. When leaving the ship:( I just take the

Princess tag out, throw it away and put our ID back in.

No stapler involved.;)