Luggage Tags Staplers

kruisey

I have three office staplers, a staple gun, a stapler for electrical wiring, and a pneumatic stapler but I don't use any of these. A small roll of clear plastic tape has always worked wonders for me. It also comes in handy to tape a luggage tag to that case of Diet Dr. Pepper I can't live without.

I print the tags at home and run a piece of packing tape along the back of it to provide extra strength. We have a laser printer, so I don't worry about the print smearing or running. And then I borrow a stapler from the front desk of the hotel if we fly down the day before a cruise. When we flew down the day of a cruise last spring, I punched holes in the luggage tags and tied them on with sturdy string after picking our bags up from the luggage claim at the airport.

Does everybody keep a stapler in their private residences?Or are we supposed to go out and purchase one especially to staple Princess luggage tags?

Or does one cart luggage down to an office block and ask if one can use their stapler;)

Just use tape it is easy to pop a small roll into your hand luggage and we find it more secure than staples as they can easily be pulled out. What happened to the days when we were sent luggage tags in the post, everything now is print it off.

Hi Kruisey;

We do not use staples, we use a strip of clear packing tape that goes the length of the tag and sticks to the other end when wrapped around the tag. It not only holds more securely than staples, it also serves to protect the information on the tag from smearing if it gets wet.

There are also reusable tag holders available from Cruise Critic store or many office supply stores that will hold the printed tag and attaches to your bag. We are cheap and just use the tape successfully!

Fair winds

Dave

Clear packing tape works beautifully for us, although I do also staple. The clear tape over all the luggage tag prevents smearing and also strengthens the tag - they arrive onboard mangled, but not missing or torn.

... You shouldn't attach the cruise tags until you're off the plane anyway so the airline baggage handlers don't have to look at more tags than necessary.
I couldn't disagree more, unless one is flying into the port a day or more early. We had one cruise where we flew in the day of the cruise (no other choice possible) with about 3 scheduled hours to spare; however with multiple flight delays we arrived at the baggage claim about the time the ship should have sailed. We were met by a Princess representative who gave us an option of waiting for baggage, or making the ship. We chose the ship and it was ONLY because of our luggage tags being attached prior to leaving home that Princess representatives were able to speedily locate our luggage which they brought to the ship by personal car to be put onboard just before the hatch clanged shut and the ship set sail.

Princess recommends you tag your luggage before leaving home. We do too. :)

How would you print them, anyway? Do people have printing machines in their private residences?
I notice you are from France. Bonjour!

Many people in the US do have printers in their homes along with their personal computers/laptops/tablets/smart phones. Often we can use a printer at a workplace if needed. We also have local stores for mailing packages etc. which offer printing services. I assume you have the same in your country (I have seen them in The Netherlands). For workplace or business printing, copy your luggage tag and travel itinerary .pdf files to a USB memory stick, so that the business systems can quickly scan for computer viruses.

Personal printers can be purchased for under USD $100. Take a look at http://www.hp.com for a quality selection (I do not work for HP, but do recommend their printers).

Just a reminder, as I am sure most do this anyway, but we put a copy of the baggage tag INSIDE the bag or luggage, just in case the external one gets ripped off by the luggage monster!

Dave

Thought we were the only ones that did that. Plus we do staple the baggage tags.

You shouldn't attach the cruise tags until you're off the plane anyway so the airline baggage handlers don't have to look at more tags than necessary.

Yes you are absolutely correct! Sorry - my post didn't convey that message very well. I always put the packing tape tags the morning of sail.

Thanks for clarifying my fuzzy response. My point was simply to say clear packing tape works well, and that you don't need fancy luggage tags. :D

Does everybody keep a stapler in their private residences?Or are we supposed to go out and purchase one especially to staple Princess luggage tags?

Or does one cart luggage down to an office block and ask if one can use their stapler;)

Lets take a poll - how many people do NOT have a single stapler or some sort of printer anywhere in their private residence?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

My age have no printers of computers.I think they are missing out on the world.:cool:;)

I will probably spurge out and buy a small stapler just to please Princess;)

My priority will be the clear tape to complete the picture:)

Edited by kruisey
Add a wordy

We do not print out our luggage tags. Nor do we do any of those home hobbies to make custom tags. We don't tape them on to the side of our luggage.

We wait until we get to the dock. We get a tag from the porter-if needed. Thirty seconds later the tags are filled out and we are on our way. No need to bother with staplers or anything else. Just have your stateroom number handy so you can mark it on the tag! No staplers required.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your cruise.

So you're the one holding up the line. If everyone did what you recommend and maybe about 2500 bags boarded each cruise equals 1250 minutes or over 20 hours tying up the boarding process.

I am of an age that I still am angry about having to print up my luggage tags and cruise docs. However, that aside I have given in to purchasing a couple of mini-staplers that are packed in the bags that go on cruises. Oh, and we have several full sized staplers in each of our homes and a staple gun in each....so we are well armed:)

Just a reminder, as I am sure most do this anyway, but we put a copy of the baggage tag INSIDE the bag or luggage, just in case the external one gets ripped off by the luggage monster!

Dave

Ant time you fly you should have your name and a way to contact you inside your luggage.

A good friend of mine used to deliver bags from airlines to peoples home when they were lost or misshipped. He said so many bags were sent to the auction because there was no way to identify who they belonged to because the tags fell off.

Our TA sends our printed tags already enclosed in plastic luggage tag holders. She does this for every cruise. We now have quite the collection of plastic holders. Is this unusual for a TA to do? If so, we are seriously spoiled. :D

Cheers, Denise

Yes, unusual :) Sounds like a keeper.

Interesting read! I printed my tags today! :) Last year I used the clear packing tape, worked fine but decided to buy the plastic holders. They weren't pricey, actually came from Australia, cheaper than Serendipity. I always fly in a day or two early so I put them on before I leave for the port, never for the flight.

I always have my name inside my luggage, outside for the way home. On the way to the hotel/port, I put hotel and ship, never home address what good does that do if it gets side tracked???

I've had luggage delivered to my house in the middle of the night (when they could just ring the bell and leave it on the door step, now I think you have to sign). I'm always over kill on identification.

We got the plastic holders and love them. I also love being able to print out my own documents. Had I been able to do that on our first cruise it would have saved me a lot of stress caused by a bad and lazy travel agent.

My sister, mother, and I have combined households and a couple of offices so we have staplers everywhere.

Wow, good job getting everybody to think you were asking a serious question! My hat is off to you!

On our last cruise I simply packed one of those clear packing tape devices and instead stapling, we taped the luggage tags with clear packing tape, all around said luggage tags, It also water proofs the tags in case of inclement weather

We've also packed staplers before, but the packing tape device was extremely lightweight You can get it anywhere that sells office supplies. To clarify, we had a mini-one, not a full-size one, Packed it In our Check-through luggage in an outside pocket.