Portable clothes steamer on cruise?

Cruisa Loosa

Hi

We are going on a long cruise next summer, on a ship with no passenger laundry facilities. I am thinking of getting a portable clothes steamer to take the wrinkles out of clothes as there will be no iron. Cheaper and more convenient than sending things for ironing I would think.

Has anyone done this? Any potential problems that you can see?

Thanks for your input on this.

Not allowed. If found it will be confiscated.

Use bathroom steam or wrinkle release.

There are recipes for homemade wrinkle release on the 'net. It's basically diluted fabric softener. (Take a small container of softener and a spray bottle.)

You could take clothes that do not wrinkle. Remember everyone is in the same boat and won't think too much about wrinkles

Edited by SadieN

We have taken 9 cruises since last December. We have taken our steamer on all but it has only been taken on the last two- same ship- but not on that ship our 1st two cruises on her.

We pick it up the last morning before we get off.

This bugs us because hair dryers and curling irons are allowed and they are a bigger fire hazard than a steamer.

Downey makes Wrinkle Release that you find in the laundry area of any store. Just spray it on in the morning for best results. Don't wait until evening to spray!

We always cruise with our portable clothes steamer. It does not have a hot face plate like an iron so is allowed on NCL and RCI. Though on our last cruise, we did have to go to the naughty room because they thought it was an iron? Not sure why, it looks nothing like an iron. As soon as they saw what it was, they let us take it and go. We are going to start packing it on our carryon so we do not have to go to the naughty room again!

What cruise line are you going on? Best bet would be to call the cruiseline. And if they day it is ok, pack it on your carryon to avoid the naughty room!

Lauri

I took mine once, it wasn't confiscated. I think it's going to depend on the cruise line.

By the way, I used it for a few dress shirts. I never took it again, just sent the shirts out for pressing on future cruises. Worth the $6 in laundry fees to not have to bring the thing and take the time, plus shirts look much better pressed over steamed.

We have taken 9 cruises since last December. We have taken our steamer on all but it has only been taken on the last two- same ship- but not on that ship our 1st two cruises on her.

We pick it up the last morning before we get off.

This bugs us because hair dryers and curling irons are allowed and they are a bigger fire hazard than a steamer.

Downey makes Wrinkle Release that you find in the laundry area of any store. Just spray it on in the morning for best results. Don't wait until evening to spray!

On which ship was the steamer taken?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We are going on Holland America. I think I will just send thing to be ironed rather than carting a steamer along. I would like to take the wrinkle release spray but they don't sell it in Canada. Perhaps I will take the advice and make my own, I can test it before I go away.

Thanks again fellow cruisers!

Our steamer was taken on our last Carnival Sunshine cruise. We were taking a B2B so got it back after 1st cruise and had it for the 2nd. It was not taken on our 1st & 2nd cruises on the Sunshine in May and July though.

It was not taken on two other Carnival ships or Princess, NCL & RCCL this spring.

You can make your own wrinkle release spray.

Combine 1 cup of water, 1 tsp liquid fabric softener and 1 tsp rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.

I'm sure there are other 'recipes' out there too.

Or, be like many of us, and turn a blind eye to a few wrinkles. :)

Have a great cruise.

You can make your own wrinkle release spray.

Combine 1 cup of water, 1 tsp liquid fabric softener and 1 tsp rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.

I'm sure there are other 'recipes' out there too.

Or, be like many of us, and turn a blind eye to a few wrinkles. :)

Have a great cruise.

If doing carryon a teaspoon of softener and rubbing alcohol is small enough to put into a small container (contact lens case, eyedropper bottle) for your 3-1-1 bag.

Just mark where one cup is on the spray bottle.

Onboard fill it with water and the softener and rubbing alcohol. Shake to mix.

Edited by SadieN

I would run the bath/shower and hang the clothes up.

Keith

Though this it what many cruisers do however it's important to note that if the bath/shower water runs too long the cabin smoke detectors read the steam as smoke resulting in the alarm to go off and security/fire personnel appear in the cabin room instantly. This was the situation when I did this on my last cruise. Not a pleasant experience.

We used to travel with one, it had a automatic shut off and was considered safe and OK to cruise with. However, the thought of having to go to the naughty room and explain this finally caused us to remove it from our cruising suitcase. However, I have read good things about the Downey wrinkle release product.

I would like to take the wrinkle release spray but they don't sell it in Canada. Perhaps I will take the advice and make my own, I can test it before I go away.

Thanks again fellow cruisers!

You can find it in Canada, we live in a small Ontario town and I found it at Walmart in the travel toiletries section :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can find it in Canada' date=' we live in a small Ontario town and I found it at Walmart in the travel toiletries section :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Excellent! I have looked in many stores and then read on line that it wasn't available in Canada. I will check Walmart for sure. Thanks very much!

Happy cruising!

Though this it what many cruisers do however it's important to note that if the bath/shower water runs too long the cabin smoke detectors read the steam as smoke resulting in the alarm to go off and security/fire personnel appear in the cabin room instantly. This was the situation when I did this on my last cruise. Not a pleasant experience.

This happened to my stepdaughter on the Navigator this March. We've used a portable steamer for years with no problem. She is 6' tall & got too close to the smoke detectors. Security shows up, steamer confiscated, she was scolded. No fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app