Possible Problem Getting Passport

Raxter54

I requested certified birth certificates for DW and myself so we can get our passports. Her certificate is OK - mine might have a problem or two. When I looked at my certified copy, my Dad's middle name and my Mom's first name are spelled wrong. Mom's name is Lafon, and the certificate says Lafone. My Dad's middle name is Weller, and the certificates says Wheeler. Will this be a problem when we apply for our passports?

To complicate matters I looked at my original birth certificate from the hospital. Whoever wrote it out did put down my Dad's middle name as Wheeler. Good grief :confused:

I requested certified birth certificates for DW and myself so we can get our passports. Her certificate is OK - mine might have a problem or two. When I looked at my certified copy, my Dad's middle name and my Mom's first name are spelled wrong. Mom's name is Lafon, and the certificate says Lafone. My Dad's middle name is Weller, and the certificates says Wheeler. Will this be a problem when we apply for our passports?

To complicate matters I looked at my original birth certificate from the hospital. Whoever wrote it out did put down my Dad's middle name as Wheeler. Good grief :confused:

None of what you said would have any impact getting a passport.

The key is that your name is shown correctly and that it is an official birth certificate.

Keith

the 'original birth certificate from the hospital' is just a souvenir, not a legal document. but the fact that they put your dad's middle name as Wheeler probably means that the same person filled out the birth certificate worksheet that way, that's the form they sent to the state to be filed. We used to have the patient proofread and sign before they sent it in. EM

You shouldn't have a problem. When I did my name change passport app after I was married our marriage license has both sets of parents on it (We where married in Bermuda) and has my FIL's middle name as our last name didn't have a problem at all.

It shouldn't be a problem. In the spot on the passport application here you have to put your parents' names just use the names as they appear on the birth certificate you're submitting with the application.

Which would constitute lying on my application? Not that I have a problem lying to a government that constantly lies to us ;)

It will only be a problem for the genealogist who is doing family history down the line...

Or if applying for a TOP SECRET MIB type job :cool:...but then they would already know more about you than you :cool:;)

Which would constitute lying on my application? Not that I have a problem lying to a government that constantly lies to us ;)

No...it's not lying...as far as you know it's their correct names because that's how they appear on your birth certificate.

I did not know my parents' correct names (and my mother's real date of birth) until they had passed away and I had to settle their estates. Only after their passing was I able to find their actual birth certificates and the information was different than I had been told. It didn't match what was on my birth certificate .