Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

I don't have to have cruised on NCL to have looked into it and figured that out. In both you have a limited number of complimentary restaraunts and many, many for-fee restaurants. It's clear that the goal is to get you to pay more for something that has traditionally been free on cruises.

In numbers, yes, there are more for-fee restaurants than complimentary, but there are significantly more numbers of seats in complementary venues than for-fee venues. So it cannot be clear that "the goal is to get you to pay more for something that has traditionally been free on cruises", as the ship cannot handle that load even if a significant minority of guests wanted it.

The addition of pay restaurants were to capitalize on a niche of passengers that desired them (just like the expansion of suites, suite areas, havens, etc.).

Guess we will have to see from cruisers who sail after March 14, 2015 when OA has DD.

Or what the Quantum cruisers say in a few short weeks (that will should be an initial indicator, but yes, by April, we should have much more on how it is working on Oasis).

It's not so much the food as the cost. I do not eat in specialty restaurants. I paid for a cruise that includes meals, I don't feel I should have to pay extra for something that is normally included.

As to another poster, yes DD and Freestyle are exactly the same thing. Where exactly do you think RCI got the idea?

I don't have to have cruised on NCL to have looked into it and figured that out. In both you have a limited number of complimentary restaraunts and many, many for-fee restaurants. It's clear that the goal is to get you to pay more for something that has traditionally been free on cruises.

I have experience only on 2 NCL ships, and zero experience with Dynamic dining, so I apologize if my answer below is off in any way. My main NCL experience is on NCL Pearl:

Free-style

NCL has ONE free MDR, plus a bunch of pay venues. You cannot reserve, you just show up. You are able to walk up to any venue whenever you want, any night you want. If it's full, tough luck, go to the next restaurant.

Dynamic Dining on Quantum

Quantum has FOUR free MDR's plus a 5th free for suite cruisers. All of these MDR's are free. You are able to walk up to any venue whenever you want, any night you want. If it's full, tough luck, go to the next restaurant. But you can reserve any free MDR on any night you want so that you can set your schedule rather than get turned away. You don't have to pay for food in order to get the feel and ambiance of specialty each and every night with 4 free MDR venues. But if you want, Quantum also has many pay venues.

Therefore Dynamic Dining does not equal Freestyle

Dynamic Dining you can make it fully freestyle or fully MDR if you pre-book your entire cruise... or you can combine both by only pre-booking some of your nights and winging it the others... totally programmable by you.

I have experience only on 2 NCL ships, and zero experience with Dynamic dining, so I apologize if my answer below is off in any way. My main NCL experience is on NCL Pearl:

Free-style

NCL has ONE free MDR, plus a bunch of pay venues. You cannot reserve, you just show up. You are able to walk up to any venue whenever you want, any night you want. If it's full, tough luck, go to the next restaurant.

Dynamic Dining on Quantum

Quantum has FOUR free MDR's plus a 5th free for suite cruisers. All of these MDR's are free. You are able to walk up to any venue whenever you want, any night you want. If it's full, tough luck, go to the next restaurant. But you can reserve any free MDR on any night you want so that you can set your schedule rather than get turned away. You don't have to pay for food in order to get the feel and ambiance of specialty each and every night with 4 free MDR venues. But if you want, Quantum also has many pay venues.

Therefore Dynamic Dining does not equal Freestyle

Dynamic Dining you can make it fully freestyle or fully MDR if you pre-book your entire cruise... or you can combine both by only pre-booking some of your nights and winging it the others... totally programmable by you.

We had a suite on NCL. Concierge can get you a table with no wait in MDR. Just call him on your walkie talkie. :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

In numbers, yes, there are more for-fee restaurants than complimentary, but there are significantly more numbers of seats in complementary venues than for-fee venues. So it cannot be clear that "the goal is to get you to pay more for something that has traditionally been free on cruises", as the ship cannot handle that load even if a significant minority of guests wanted it.

The addition of pay restaurants were to capitalize on a niche of passengers that desired them (just like the expansion of suites, suite areas, havens, etc.).

Agree.

If you compare the Quantum to the Allure you will find that as a % there is almost the exact same number of seats for specialty restaurants.

On Quantum there are 468 specialty restaurant seats for 4180 passengers or 11.2%.

On Allure there are 614 specialty restaurant seats for 5400 passengers or 11.4%.

While this is more than the classes before Oasis nothing has really changed from the Oasis class in terms of Royal trying to force you to eat at a specialty restaurant.

As you said it is about offering choices to a select goup of passengers who want to pay for this option and not forcing it upon anyone.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Would that not be the same for final night as well?

One would think so but I've not seen that in print. I've also seen posted here that the 'dress code' in Grande is not truly formal but I can't find that post. Something more like 'dressy smart casual'. Wish I could find that.

I don't consider the Windjammer an option for Dinner. If people like that kind of Dinner option, there are a lot less expensive ways to cruise in my opinion. It's like an 8.95 Vegas buffet.

I think that's quite rude, I enjoy the Windjammer more for the choice of food available and I'm also not a fan of formal nights and as such don't have much choice on those nights. To suggest someone shouldn't go on a cruise just because they like the Windjammer is ridiculous.

I don't consider the Windjammer an option for Dinner. If people like that kind of Dinner option, there are a lot less expensive ways to cruise in my opinion. It's like an 8.95 Vegas buffet.

I wouldn't go that far. While it's not our primary choice for dinner, DW and I have eaten at the WJ after returning from an excursion and not wanting to make the effort to get to "casual" dress. It's certainly not a cheap buffet but I wouldn't say it's MDR quality food either.

I sometimes wonder how people who HAVE to have the same waiter, same table, same time, same dining companions every night are ever able to go to a shoreside restaurant, especially when many do not accept reservations.?! They must all eat on a rotating menu at home at the same time in the same seats every week of their lives, with special meals cooked just for the fussy eaters in the family.

The ones that don't take reservations aren't the restaurants I'd be choosing if I wanted to meet friends for dinner. And the group of friends I travel with varies in size, but the *smallest* one we've done was about 30 people, and the largest was just under 200. It's not the same-waiter that's important, it's that dinner is pretty much the only time we get to socialize as a whole group. We move around among our tables from night to night, and since the they're all grouped together the waiters do just fine keeping everybody happy. Our travel agent ties all of our reservations together, RC plans the tables together at the same seating, even if it's not our preferred one, and it's all good. That's just about the antithesis of "dynamic dining", though, and trying to shovel 80-100 people into a 250-seat restaurant, knowing you have to start emptying tables an hour or so before the reservation in order to hold the group together otherwise the seat-hopping and floating conversation groups will disturb all the REST of your diners.

If I want a $6.95 Buffet, I prefer to stay in Vegas. Windjammer, for us, not acceptable Dinner venue (period)!!!

Well some of us don't live in Vegas, and some of us like Buffet dining.

Let's not let our opinions cloud judgement. The Windjammer is a Dinner venue, it's open for dinner, and therefore a dinner venue.

I fear RCI will push the Windjammer as one of the DD restaurants for dinner. We have never had dinner at the Windjammer and never plan to!!!

Ok cool, not that you needed to tell any of us that because there are other venues and the Windjammer isn't compulsory.

Wow! Your Vegas buffet is getting discounted by the post. You must be spending gobs at the tables!

This post needs a "like" button.

(In all honesty, I've eaten in *way* *more* buffets than I care to think about. And the 'Jammer, while not top-shelf material, is certainly pretty good. Most importantly, they don't screw up much, don't overreach themselves, and keep at least a couple of things that the average Moe won't have eaten on a regular basis.)

Okay, trust me when I say food isn't a problem for me, but when, where and what I feel like eating is not something I can decide ninety days out. My question is can I make multiple reservation for different dining and decide on that day which reservation I feel like eating. Also my opinion has always been that cruising was the best bang for your buck. If I want good food I should be able to get it at and when I want without making arrangements ninety days away.

SHARON I

Wasn't allowed mult reservations .....

OMG ninety days!!!

I just got off the phone today for two Anthem reservations and dining...

Some times were already gone ?

Jan 10 night 5 people 2016

April 12 night 2 people 2016

First, my wife and I love the main dining room, same table, same staff, have meet some wonderful new friends and great service.

We booked the Anthem crossing for Oct 2015, and have already booked our dining times and venues for the eight nights via the cruise planner.

So time will tell us if this concept is a WOW for us or direct our future sailings away from ships with Dynamic Dining.

Ellen & Phil

Diamond Plus on Royal

The bottom line for me is if it affects my cruise in a negative way. DW and I always do MTD and do not make reservations, we want to just go when we feel like it. So far, we have never had to wait for a table.

If DD comes to Freedom or some other ship we want to sail on, it certainly won't stop us from booking the cruise and giving DD a whirl. And if our cruise experience is essentially the same as with MTD - we can show up to eat when we want and get a table with no or minimal wait, than all is good. But if we run into long waits, not so good and we will start booking non-DD ships or a another line.

I'm joining this thread late. We are sailing Allure New Year's 2015, which is shifting over to DD. I honestly don't mind the idea as long as the booking process doesn't prove to be a pain. Question: At what point will I be able to book online? I will want to do that as early as possible since I anticipate my ship being full. Thanks!

I'm joining this thread late. We are sailing Allure New Year's 2015, which is shifting over to DD. I honestly don't mind the idea as long as the booking process doesn't prove to be a pain. Question: At what point will I be able to book online? I will want to do that as early as possible since I anticipate my ship being full. Thanks!

No one really knows. I'd keep watching Royal's website and this board for news.