Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

I for one am looking forward to trying DD. I tried the new menus when they came out two years ago and liked them. We have done traditional dining with family and with strangers. We've tried MTD as a family and with just the two of us. We've done some specialty dining. So far, we've had a good time each and every cruise. We have yet to try the Windjammer at night, so we might do that. I love to dress up once or twice a cruise, so it will be nice to be able to choose our formal night.

The worse thing that might happen? That DD isn't our favorite thing. I rather suspect that Royal Caribbean is rolling this out slowly to see how it works. If it doesn't work well, then they are not going to stick with it. They do want their customers to be happy and keep coming back.

This is not correct. The three "complimentary" restaurants replace the MDR, they are not additional choices. And one of those complimentary restaurants is formal every night, so unless you really feel like wearing the same tux to dinner, you are down to two. And on a large ship like Oasis that can only mean long lines for the free dinning to try and force you into the $$$$ dining. Frankly, I've had no interest in NCL because of the Freestyle Dining.

Totally agree with you that's why we don't enjoy NCL and haven't sailed with them in quite a while. Not sure if this is true since we haven't been on their ships recently but I've heard from people who have that there are long lines for the main dining room and people get upset and then just end up going to the specialty restaurants because they don't want to wait any longer. Like I said that's not me stating this it's what others have told me who have recently sailed with NCL.

Edited by SF

Just found out today that a Spring cruise will be on Dynamic Dining and we had booked Anytime Dining. My real concern is that I can now book entertainment days and times - but can't yet make restaurant reservations.

So, how do I book show times, etc. without knowing what time dinner will be each day. I know from experience that RCI dinner reservations book-up fast and it's sometimes very hard to get the times you want. I called RCI and was told you can always book on the ship. Sorry, but I'm not going to be running around the ship and standing in line on a Cruise vacation. They also mentioned that the Windjammer is always available. Sorry, but the Windjammer is unacceptable as the ONLY option for dinner.

Here's what I know for sure. If we end-up not being able to get dinner reservations to support Show times, or, if we end-up in the Windjammer even one dinner night, or, if I'm running around last minute on the ship trying to make dinner reservations or changing Show reservations - RCI will never see me and my Girl Friend on another one of their cruises. Also, now we are hearing there will be only 3 of these new type restaurants on the Oasis (I mean the one's without a surcharge).

We have been loyal RCI cruisers and really supported the brand - but this sounds like a lot of hassle and pushing even more work on the customer that should be done by the cruise line i.e., Dinner and Show time reservations that match-up with each other.

And, if I once am told my onlyoption for dinner is the Windjammer - it will surely be Adios to RCI for good.

Which ship?

Booked on Anthem for 14-day Mediterranean cruise for June 2015 and was able to book dining for all 14 nights during the times we wanted last month--not sure why you were told you couldn't reserve dining. Also, for those who say there are not enough complimentary dining options--not true--there are at least 4 or 5 "no fee" restaurants to choose from on Anthem and I'm assuming the same for Quantum.

Booked on Anthem for 14-day Mediterranean cruise for June 2015 and was able to book dining for all 14 nights during the times we wanted last month--not sure why you were told you couldn't reserve dining. Also, for those who say there are not enough complimentary dining options--not true--there are at least 4 or 5 "no fee" restaurants to choose from on Anthem and I'm assuming the same for Quantum.

Can't comment on Anthem or Quantum but on Oasis for our cruise there are only three complimentary full service restaurants one which is formal every night. So yes, unless RCCL switches menus mid week or has alternative choices on the menu then no there is not enough complimentary dining options. It's not the restaurant itself in regards to atmosphere but the lack of meal choices if the menu does not change. Like others who have mentioned the buffet, cafe or Sorrento's is not an option for dinner to us. Nor do we want to pay for the "specialty restaurants". Hoping what Royal said in reference to mid week menu changes on Oasis will happen.

I certainly hope that the Oasis is stocking up on CHEESE..........

to go with all of this WHINE.

:rolleyes:

Really.... Since when did voicing your opinion or stating what you hope will happen become whining???

If you really were able to make the reservations online during this time, then why didn't you just do it? Something's missing here.

My thought too. I always test/check what cruise lines/TA's say. I go online and verify. Yeah, trust but verify! AND if you can book!! :)

I am reading this thread kind of perplexed at the assumptions and negativity being displayed towards it when none of us really knows how it will work. In a way, don't all cruise lines now already have DD? whether it's a specialty restaurant or a suite complimentary restaurant on Celebrity, it is dynamic dining. Before I make up my mind, I am going to try it. I saw these same type of threads when MTD was instituted on RC. Sometimes change is good you all

Gail

Very well said. The verdict is still out. Unfortunately some folks have already made their decision before the trial has even begun.

I'm wondering if people who are comparing Dynamic Dining to NCL's Freestyle Dining have even cruised NCL. I went on the Jewel last December and there were two restaurants with almost the exact same menus, the only thing different was maybe a side dish or a style of cooking on one menu item, and of course the decor was very different in each restaurant. However, the menus were very similar to the menu diversity like the MDR in RCCL now. There were not 3 or more DIFFERENT free restaurants to choose from if you wanted the atmosphere of a nice restaurant. There was a casual restaurant, but it was more "snack" type.

The only thing that Freestyle dining means is that you choose what time you eat, basically the same as My Time Dining.

Maybe on the two newer ships it's different, but on the older ships it's exactly the same as My Time Dining. Freestyle Dining came about way before the two newer ships came out.

Just so odd to me that people are using that as a comparative to DD when it's not even close.

Just found out today that a Spring cruise will be on Dynamic Dining and we had booked Anytime Dining. My real concern is that I can now book entertainment days and times - but can't yet make restaurant reservations.

So, how do I book show times, etc. without knowing what time dinner will be each day. I know from experience that RCI dinner reservations book-up fast and it's sometimes very hard to get the times you want. I called RCI and was told you can always book on the ship. Sorry, but I'm not going to be running around the ship and standing in line on a Cruise vacation. They also mentioned that the Windjammer is always available. Sorry, but the Windjammer is unacceptable as the ONLY option for dinner.

Here's what I know for sure. If we end-up not being able to get dinner reservations to support Show times, or, if we end-up in the Windjammer even one dinner night, or, if I'm running around last minute on the ship trying to make dinner reservations or changing Show reservations - RCI will never see me and my Girl Friend on another one of their cruises. Also, now we are hearing there will be only 3 of these new type restaurants on the Oasis (I mean the one's without a surcharge).

We have been loyal RCI cruisers and really supported the brand - but this sounds like a lot of hassle and pushing even more work on the customer that should be done by the cruise line i.e., Dinner and Show time reservations that match-up with each other.

And, if I once am told my onlyoption for dinner is the Windjammer - it will surely be Adios to RCI for good.

I agreed with you!!! I'm very upset!!! I do not want to eat in the Windjammer for dinner. I like meeting people having the same waiter who knows what you like. I'm a fussy eater and I never had trouble. With DD I don't know. RCI you should have more the 3 restaurants. Sorry but if this don't work out I will be thinking of changing cruise line.

This. Dining is a silly reason to either cancel a cruise or refuse to cruise with a certain line. No passenger is having to cook or clean up after themselves.

I certainly hope that the Oasis is stocking up on CHEESE..........

to go with all of this WHINE.

:rolleyes:

I agreed with you!!! I'm very upset!!! I do not want to eat in the Windjammer for dinner. I like meeting people having the same waiter who knows what you like. I'm a fussy eater and I never had trouble. With DD I don't know. RCI you should have more the 3 restaurants. Sorry but if this don't work out I will be thinking of changing cruise line.

Other than the bread, how does a waiter know what you like after a day or two. :confused:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Other than the bread, how does a waiter know what you like after a day or two. :confused:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Uh...because they see that you request it every night? Or because you indicate on the first night that something is important to you?

Edited by time4u2go

This. Dining is a silly reason to either cancel a cruise or refuse to cruise with a certain line. No passenger is having to cook or clean up after themselves.

You're judging other people based on what's important to them on a cruise? Ok then.

Edited by time4u2go

Just don't get why people cruise only for food. Won't even try DD before boycotting the cruise line.

You're judging other people based on what's important to them on a cruise? Ok then.
Edited by awhcruiser

Okay, trust me when I say food isn't a problem for me, but when, where and what I feel like eating is not something I can decide ninety days out. My question is can I make multiple reservation for different dining and decide on that day which reservation I feel like eating. Also my opinion has always been that cruising was the best bang for your buck. If I want good food I should be able to get it at and when I want without making arrangements ninety days away.

SHARON I

Okay, trust me when I say food isn't a problem for me, but when, where and what I feel like eating is not something I can decide ninety days out. My question is can I make multiple reservation for different dining and decide on that day which reservation I feel like eating. Also my opinion has always been that cruising was the best bang for your buck. If I want good food I should be able to get it at and when I want without making arrangements ninety days away.

SHARON I

Don't know for sure, but I would expect the website to prevent multiple reservations on the same night.

I'm wondering if people who are comparing Dynamic Dining to NCL's Freestyle Dining have even cruised NCL. I went on the Jewel last December and there were two restaurants with almost the exact same menus, the only thing different was maybe a side dish or a style of cooking on one menu item, and of course the decor was very different in each restaurant. However, the menus were very similar to the menu diversity like the MDR in RCCL now. There were not 3 or more DIFFERENT free restaurants to choose from if you wanted the atmosphere of a nice restaurant. There was a casual restaurant, but it was more "snack" type.

The only thing that Freestyle dining means is that you choose what time you eat, basically the same as My Time Dining.

Maybe on the two newer ships it's different, but on the older ships it's exactly the same as My Time Dining. Freestyle Dining came about way before the two newer ships came out.

Just so odd to me that people are using that as a comparative to DD when it's not even close.

Agree with this. I have a friend who loves NCL and pretty much only cruises with them. Although there is no assigned dining, the dining rooms themselves sound pretty similar to the MDR. You can make reservations, or walk up and be seated. There's an "always available" menu with basic stuff, and 5 or 6 specials that change daily. Exactly like Royal's MDR, in other words.

I am trying to imagine doing DD with a large group or picky eaters. If you're on Oasis and not in a suite, you will have three free options for sitdown dining: Silk, American Icon, and Grande. Say one or two people don't like dressing up. OK, now you have two free options. One, Silk, only serves Asian food. Say someone in your party doesn't care for Asian food. Now you have one free sitdown option!

As opposed to the current MDR, where picky eaters can always get a grilled chicken breast, pasta, etc.

Edited by Ramblin' Ma'am

Don't know for sure, but I would expect the website to prevent multiple reservations on the same night.

I just tried to double-book for our Dec. 12th on Quantum and it doesn't let you. It lets you either keep the new and drop the old or drop the new and keep the old -- not both.

Agree with this. I have a friend who loves NCL and pretty much only cruises with them. Although there is no assigned dining' date=' the dining rooms themselves sound pretty similar to the MDR. You can make reservations, or walk up and be seated. There's an "always available" menu with basic stuff, and 5 or 6 specials that change daily. Exactly like Royal's MDR, in other words.

I am trying to imagine doing DD with a large group or picky eaters. If you're on Oasis and not in a suite, you will have three free options for sitdown dining: Silk, American Icon, and Grande. Say one or two people don't like dressing up. OK, now you have two free options. One, Silk, only serves Asian food. Say someone in your party doesn't care for Asian food. Now you have one free sitdown option!

As opposed to the current MDR, where picky eaters can always get a grilled chicken breast, pasta, etc.[/quote']

Actually, you're better off with Dynamic Dining. Suppose you have traditional dining. What would you do with those in your party who do not like to dress up? You have no other complimentary set down venues on formal nights. If every one sticks together, are you all going to the buffet? At least with DD you have a choice between American Icon or Silk or the buffet. With traditional dining your choices are dress up or the buffet.

It has been posted numerous times that there will be an 'always available'

menu section as well as a children's section. It has also been posted that the menus, at least on Allure and Oasis, will change mid way through each cruise.

Actually, you're better off with Dynamic Dining. Suppose you have traditional dining. What would you do with those in your party who do not like to dress up? You have no other complimentary set down venues on formal nights. If every one sticks together, are you all going to the buffet? At least with DD you have a choice between American Icon or Silk or the buffet. With traditional dining your choices are dress up or the buffet.

It has been posted numerous times that there will be an 'always available'

menu section as well as a children's section. It has also been posted that the menus, at least on Allure and Oasis, will change mid way through each cruise.

MANY people do not dress up on formal nights and still eat in the MDR.