Diamond Drink Vouchers-Tipping

Of course it is NOT. Where would it be? What is its source? If the server rings up the drink, it comes up ZERO on the cost and thus ZERO on the gratuity.

PLEASE tip when you get your free drinks.

The servers will think that ALL C&A members are cheap PITAS and service will decline for all of us.

TIP TIP TIP on your free drinks. It is the right thing to do.

Of course it is NOT. Where would it be? What is its source? If the server rings up the drink, it comes up ZERO on the cost and thus ZERO on the gratuity.

PLEASE tip when you get your free drinks.

The servers will think that ALL C&A members are cheap PITAS and service will decline for all of us.

TIP TIP TIP on your free drinks. It is the right thing to do.

Couldn't have said it better - but I'm sure we'll be hearing from the "but it's free and I paid for it with my cruises that I took so why should I tip" crowd.

According to the bartender in the Schooner bar when we were on Enchantment last week - yes they are.

I understand that is your experience. I think you posted last week something similar. However, unless others also post that bartenders similarly told them that, I believe that NOBODY here on this website will believe you.

I realize that people may think differently then I do, but I have ALWAYS had excellent service from the bar staff. They work hard for their low wage and depend on the tips to help them. Get to know your bar tender, give him/her a good tip because of the good service and they will get to know you. Their lives are very different from mine. I am thankful that I can cruise and that I don't have to work on a ship to help my family back home that I miss so very much.

I understand that is your experience. I think you posted last week something similar. However, unless others also post that bartenders similarly told them that, I believe that NOBODY here on this website will believe you.

Fortunately, I really don't care what everyone else believes - or doesn't. I have no reason to believe that a bartender would tell me that they were getting the tips, if in fact they were not. On what planet would it be in the bartender's best interest to lie to a customer in order to avoid getting a tip?:confused:

Could you possibly enlighten us on just who is paying these tips?

According to the bartender, the cruise line was making them whole on the tab. As I originally posted last week, I asked the bartender whether they were receiving the 15% standard tip, after I requested the receipts back from him in order to add an additional tip and saw the $0 balance. He told me that they still received the 15% on the voucher drinks.

According to the bartender, the cruise line was making them whole on the tab. As I originally posted last week, I asked the bartender whether they were receiving the 15% standard tip, after I requested the receipts back from him in order to add an additional tip and saw the $0 balance. He told me that they still received the 15% on the voucher drinks.

You posted this in another thread also. So does that mean that all the complimentary drinks in the DL and the CL are actually charged out to the company and the bartenders are tipped?

This would make me uncomfortable. I don't think I could ask someone about how they get paid. People don't ask me about my job - what makes is acceptable to ask an employee of RCI about it? :confused:

This would make me uncomfortable. I don't think I could ask someone about how they get paid. People don't ask me about my job - what makes is acceptable to ask an employee of RCI about it? :confused:

My point was that orville99 raises a point that clearly is not in the bartender's best interest. It is so shocking, that many may conclude that it must be true. However, it is the first time that I have ever seen anyone post that was how the tips worked. I am not saying orville99 is lying or even wrong. I am inviting others out there to support him if anyone else has experienced bartenders indicating that they got the gratuity on the "free" diamond drinks.

I honestly was surprised last week when he posted that, as I just returned from the Allure on Oct 12 and my receipt showed a zero for the drink and also the gratuity, but orville99 indicated that his bartender specifically indicated that the way things were set up was to let the customer THINK there was zero gratuity, when in fact, there was a hidden gratuity being paid by the cruiseline.

My point was that orville99 raises a point that clearly is not in the bartender's best interest...

Oh yes, noted and agreed. Just confused at this point. ;) Merion_Mom is a few points away from Pinnacle and I believe she, if anyone, would know "the system" and how things work. So I remain, truly yours and still confused.. :D

I don't see how any tip can be included as the drink is complementary.

We customarily tip on a per drink basis in the diamond or concierge lounge ( usually $1 or so per drink) so we see no reason not to tip the same way if we use a voucher.

enjoy

M

Fifteen percent of zero is zero. I don't get it! Anyway, I tip $1 cash at bars on voucher drinks.

If I recall correctly, the receipt showed the price of the drink and then a negative amount of the same, thus making the total $0. If it is indeed true that the company pays the tip it would be based on the original price of the drink.

While I have no empirical evidence that the bartenders do receive a tip from the company it would not surprise me that they do. It would be fairly low cost and would keep their employees happy which in turn keeps their customers happy.

BTW, I'm not advising that everyone should not add any additional tip, as always, that is at the discretion of the guest and is generally will earned by the bartenders.

I always tip the last night in the Diamond Lounge for a week's worth of great service. On Wednesday, we are doing a 4 night Vision cruise - my first in possibly using the vouchers. I am going with a friend for a girl's trip. I do not have pockets in my sundresses and I do not carry a purse. I do not want to carry around dollar bills. Can you add the to the receipt? If using different lounges, I do not know if I can come at the end of the cruise and present the tip as it will be probably different bartenders. Suggestions?

My question was only about the vouchers. We always tip in the Diamond Lounge at the end of the cruise. This is the first time we have ever had vouchers. If they were not getting tipped with the vouchers, I wanted to be sure that we did leave a tip.

My question was only about the vouchers... If they were not getting tipped with the vouchers, I wanted to be sure that we did leave a tip.

Yes actually, that seems to be the crux of this discussion. One member says they do get tipped. :confused: However, it won't stop us from tipping on "Diamond drinks".

Yes just add to the tip line. We had to sign for our free drinks in September and just added a dollar per drink to the tip line. Easy.

We leave a tip in the DL for the week but we see others tip in cash per night.

never signed for my free drinks, Just threw a buck per drink in the wallet and left

We used to tip at the end of the cruise in the DL and CL and then found the staff loves getting those tips as we go. So like others, we tip $1 per drink. If we use the vouchers, we do the same thing $1 per drink.

By the end of the cruise, wait staff has made a good amount of tips from us:p

So we all agree (Well, almost all agree) that we still tip when using the vouchers regardless if the cruise line is kicking in or not. :D

Not sure why it is so important whether people agree with them or not. People who like to reward good service will tip and cheapskates will find an excuse not to. It's the way of the world.