Advice please - moved to different cabin

sc71

Thanks for your comment.....I want to explain, but I do NOT want my situation to hijack this thread. We had sailed all of the RC cruises prior to this horrible experience & we have not returned yet, although I have a future B2B scheduled on RC, only because 1 leg is our current travel agent's group cruise with special perks. We had already done 2 Celebrity cruises prior that RC issue, & the 123go free beverage package was what brought us back to Celebrity after that. Princess & Holland have been & continue to be our favorites, and as you can see from my signature, the majority of our cruises have been with these 2 companies. The TA I used back then has quit being a TA, and now I have 2 companies I trust. And finally, the only cruise line that I will ever book without a TA is Princess!!

I appreciate what you are saying - really, I do. But you are still giving a company that totally screwed you money. You are supporting it by voting with your dollars. That's your choice, and there's nothing wrong with it. But IMHO it cancels out and voids your right to bitch about what RCI did to you in 2012.

I have another idea. Post the same question on your roll call. Perhaps there are people there willing to trade with you. Not everyone is always that attached to a specific room. It won't get you the specific cabin you booked, but maybe a good alternative? Can X even do this? Something to consider.

- Joel

I don't know if this was looked in to already or even possible, but maybe move all the rooms, sounds like 3, in OP's traveling party to the same location/balcony size in a different area/deck of the ship and try not to mess with the people that were booked into her original cabin.

Although that cabin shouldn't have been there's to choose, I don't see how uprooting them and possibly losing all parties as customers helps the situation. Unless it is a full cruise, I'm thinking they can find new rooms reasonably close in proximity and balcony size to what they all had.

Having read most of this thread, that is just my 2 cents!

Basically the OP picked a Concierge cabin, right by elevators midship that has the largest veranda on the ship due to location "on the hump" so the mother can have easy access to elevators to get to the smoking areas due to limited mobility. It didn't seem so much that they wanted all 3 cabins door to door as proximity to the elevators.

X has offered he OP the cabin right next door to the one originally booked at this point, plus a few extra perks, still the same Concierge category, just with a standard sized Concierge veranda as it's not "on the hump" as the other was, but still has the same deck chairs, footstools and table as the other does, and it's 1 cabin CLOSER to the elevators needed.

Basically the OP picked a Concierge cabin, right by elevators midship that has the largest veranda on the ship due to location "on the hump" so the mother can have easy access to elevators to get to the smoking areas due to limited mobility. It didn't seem so much that they wanted all 3 cabins door to door as proximity to the elevators.

X has offered he OP the cabin right next door to the one originally booked at this point, plus a few extra perks, still the same Concierge category, just with a standard sized Concierge veranda as it's not "on the hump" as the other was, but still has the same deck chairs, footstools and table as the other does, and it's 1 cabin CLOSER to the elevators needed.

That's not what the OP said. It's not the proximity to the elevators, but to the smoking area accessed through the sliding glass doors to the Pool Deck that is close to 2105. As far as being one cabin closer to it in 2103 I think it's safe to say that really is of little consequence.

Phil

Phil

That's not what the OP said. It's not the proximity to the elevators, but to the smoking area accessed through the sliding glass doors to the Pool Deck that is close to 2105. As far as being one cabin closer to it in 2103 I think it's safe to say that really is of little consequence.

Phil

Phil

Ok, well either way the cabin X has offered is closer to that area than the one initially reserved, so a win. The OP did mention the special needs for their mobility impaired mother as an issue when they were reassigned way aft, now they have been reassigned closer to the place they had requested the need to be near.

But my reply was to another poster who surmised the primary issue was to get 3 cabins side by side, whereas it was in reality to be close to the smoking zone for the elderly mother's cabin, which has now been accommodated, assuming the OP has taken X up on its offer.

It honestly seems that the OP's real issue was a loss of wonderful veranda,which was masked by the stated need for an elderly parents mobility issues's and therefore they are not going to be happy with this offered resolution that does not give the large veranda, but does afford the mobility impaired parent easy access to the smokers area. I'm referring to post #22 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44608593&postcount=22

but most importantly for the proximity to the smoking area for my mother who has mobility issues

It honestly seems that the OP's real issue was a loss of wonderful veranda,which was masked by the stated need for an elderly parents mobility issues's and therefore they are not going to be happy with this offered resolution that does not give the large veranda, but does afford the mobility impaired parent easy access to the smokers area. I'm referring to post #22 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44608593&postcount=22

I totally agree with this. IMO, the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill. Mistakes happen and I think that Celebrity has been more than fair in their offer to her to correct the situation. That little extra space on the balcony shouldn't make that much difference. If you need a big veranda, book a suite, otherwise take the deal and move on.

My sincere sympathies to the OP -- what a horrible experience you have faced!!! And also to the other posters who have had bookings cancelled or screwed up!!!

From reading all of this thread, I see that Celebrity customer service is apparently not much better than their parent company Royal Caribbean....at least Celebrity is ADMITTING THEY made the mistake, even though they are NOT WILLING TO CORRECT their mistake. RC didn't ever admit their mistake to me!

My only HORRIBLE booking experience was a direct booking with RC 800# 2.5 years ago (didn't use my TA because she was on a cruise) resulted in a my little group of 7 people in 3 adjoining cabins being kicked off the cruise 4 days BEFORE boarding! The glitch was that the RC booking person changed 1 female's birthyear by adding 10 years to make her 29 instead of 19, and as a result, we didn't have enough "adults" and were never given the opportunity to add another one. (I created thread on RC board called "Royal Kicked Us Off" which probably can still be found with a search -- it had over 350 posts & 55,000 views.) Eventually an "assistant" in the corporate office of RC called me to get the full story, and never once did RC admit it was THEIR mistake -- in fact they accused me of creating the error & said I booked "online" (which I have never done) -- despite RC's records clearly show 2 phone conversations with 2 different reps to complete the initial booking!! We scrambled to find a beachside condo to use instead of the cruise -- Mother Nature helped us "get even" by making rain over the entire cruise & giving us sun at the condo!!!

Your last sentence is interesting. You apparently found satisfaction that thousands of passengers had a cruise that was full of rain, which of course did not affect the home office staff at all, where the problem was reported to have occurred.

Your last sentence is interesting. You apparently found satisfaction that thousands of passengers had a cruise that was full of rain, which of course did not affect the home office staff at all, where the problem was reported to have occurred.

:thumbup:

I totally agree with this. IMO, the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill. Mistakes happen and I think that Celebrity has been more than fair in their offer to her to correct the situation. That little extra space on the balcony shouldn't make that much difference. If you need a big veranda, book a suite, otherwise take the deal and move on.

As everyone who spends time on cruisecritic knows, many folks spend a lot of time researching a specific cabin when booking a cruise - this is what my mother and I did. However, as I previously posted, we were very happy with the location of the current offered cabin as this was the most important condition for my mother.

We will be taking what has been offered and will move on and look forward to our vacation.

I continue to express my sincere thank all those who were so supportive and understood where my frustration was from and offered much appreciated advice and points of view that greatly assisted me in my conversations with Celebrity.

For those others who feel I have been "making a mountain" out of this, I apologize and hope that I didn't offend too much. For those, I certainly hope that this situation never happens to you, after you carefully select your cabin and book your cruise over a year in advance of when you go. I certainly hope that if this mistake ever happens to anyone else, that Celebrity will contact you the moment it happens, instead of finding out about the situation by your own accord over a month after Celebrity makes the mistake.

If that was the case, then everyone should just book a guarantee cabin and be told where they will be residing on their cruise :rolleyes:!

I thought the whole point of booking early was to get the cabin you wanted, as opposed to getting a cheaper rate after final payment and being told which cabin you would be staying in :confused:?

If that was the case, then everyone should just book a guarantee cabin and be told where they will be residing on their cruise :rolleyes:!

I thought the whole point of booking early was to get the cabin you wanted, as opposed to getting a cheaper rate after final payment and being told which cabin you would be staying in :confused:?

While it is certainly almost always is the case, it is no guarantee. But it does give you a far greater chance of having the cabin you want. But it's certainly not absolute. It's a gamble - a good one in most cases - but still a gamble.

Threads as this one should be good reminders to folks that canons can and do get reassigned.

I never really understood why the expectation of a preassigned room on a cruise ship exists, yet isn't the same at land based resorts hotels, or airlines. As long as one gets the cabin category or better booked, all should be ok.

Edited by cle-guy

While it is certainly almost always is the case, it is no guarantee. But it does give you a far greater chance of having the cabin you want. But it's certainly not absolute. It's a gamble - a good one in most cases - but still a gamble.

Threads as this one should be good reminders to folks that canons can and do get reassigned.

I never really understood why the expectation of a preassigned room on a cruise ship exists, yet isn't the same at land based resorts hotels, or airlines. As long as one gets the cabin category or better booked, all should be ok.

I know exactly what you're saying, however, are you expecting me to believe that the majority of passengers would be happy if for example, they had booked an Alaskan southern route itinerary in a CS port side and then were moved to a CS starboard - I think not! Irrespective of what they state here, they wouldn't be too happy ;).

Have you not read the endless threads on CC that are posted from ecstatic passengers because they are staying in a particular cabin? It's surprising how many say it's a mountain out of a molehill until it happens to them ;).

I know exactly what you're saying, however, are you expecting me to believe that the majority of passengers would be happy if for example, they had booked an Alaskan southern route itinerary in a CS port side and then were moved to a CS starboard - I think not! Irrespective of what they state here, they wouldn't be too happy ;).

Have you not read the endless threads on CC that are posted from ecstatic passengers because they are staying in a particular cabin? It's surprising how many say it's a mountain out of a molehill until it happens to them ;).

Any way you look at it, half the people on board get the good view from their cabin, half the people get the bad view. while paying the same amount of money.

I agree it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. For me the $300 OBC would be a great enhancement to my cruise!

I actually last night remembered I did swap a cabin at the request of my TA once. She had a couple who wanted a CS on deck 6 so they could be near their family in a concierge cabin on deck 6, so I swapped to a CS on a higher floor (Connie) and off the Suite Row, as to me, it wasn't all that important, it was still the same cabin I booked. People claim butler service lacks when leaving deck 6 on M class, but I didn't really notice anything different. I didn't even get any extra compensation.

I don't think anyone ever said the OP should be happy, nor that they should not try to do what they could to get Celebrity to right the situation. No one said there should not be compensation, nor that Celebrity should not do the right thing. I think where opinions got off on different tracks is in what the right thing was, and what a cruiser should be able to expect. As the posts went forward, I confess to being in a bit of awe at the complete outrage some fellow posters expressed, as well as how far they apparently thought Celebrity should go to right this wrong, which they apparently perceived as huge. I thought it was way out of proportion relative to the error made. No, the OP should not have had to fight quite so hard for a reasonable solution, but IMHO the final offer extended was more than fair considering what was actually lost by the cruiser, which at the end of the day turned out to be really not much. And speaking for myself, I once again note that I am saying these things having had exactly the same thing happen to me, and having received nothing in compensation (which I am not saying is right, just that I am well aware of how it feels). So I guess we can continue to disagree over what is fair or not fair. My opinion is that the final solution was indeed very fair, and I am sorry the OP had to go through all the hassle, and I hope they have a great cruise.

Bingo.

When I go to book my next cruise, which will be Alaska, I am looking to book a specific cabin on the starboard side. My wife and I have discussed where we want to be on the ship, so I have a list of 4 cabins, if available, that I will try to choose from. If none of the 4 are free, then I'll opt for the "best available", but still on the starboard side. This is our preference. This is what we will pay our money for.

People have their reasons for booking specific cabins. So if others feel it's much ado about nothing, then they don't get it and never will.

Actually most airlines do offer preassigned seating. Many smaller resorts and hotels also offer this.

The reason that larger hotels and resorts don't offer preassigned rooms is because people are checking in and out on different days and staying for different lengths of time so it's not feasible.

Honestly, if I couldn't prearrange what cabin I'm staying in on a cruise I would likely cruise less. While the cabin location and size of balcony may not be important to you, it is important to me.

Edited by lovemylab

As everyone who spends time on cruisecritic knows, many folks spend a lot of time researching a specific cabin when booking a cruise - this is what my mother and I did. However, as I previously posted, we were very happy with the location of the current offered cabin as this was the most important condition for my mother.

We will be taking what has been offered and will move on and look forward to our vacation.

I continue to express my sincere thank all those who were so supportive and understood where my frustration was from and offered much appreciated advice and points of view that greatly assisted me in my conversations with Celebrity.

For those others who feel I have been "making a mountain" out of this, I apologize and hope that I didn't offend too much. For those, I certainly hope that this situation never happens to you, after you carefully select your cabin and book your cruise over a year in advance of when you go. I certainly hope that if this mistake ever happens to anyone else, that Celebrity will contact you the moment it happens, instead of finding out about the situation by your own accord over a month after Celebrity makes the mistake.

FWIW, I get it. I think many others do and know for a fact that many of my cruise pals would be cheesed off too. The arguers are now on this thread determined to see it a different way. My advice would be to back away, but please post how you got on.

Phil

Hi SC71,

Glad you guys found some workable middle ground.

Forget the naysayers... Certainly no apologies due to them

Trust me... They say this now, if it happened to any of them, I can assure you none of us here on CC would hear the end of it.

Like EXCITEDOFHARPENDEN said above, those that understand & care only want the best for you & your Mom

Do post a Trip Report / Cruise Review after your trip... We very much want to know how it goes now that we all have become invested somewhat in your story / trip... And care sincerely about your Mom's well being / cruise experience

Cheers!

I am really sorry to hear about your problem and a lot of us would also be disappointed If we lost our first choice.

IMO you are making the right decision and given a choice between the larger balcony (I have cruised in those type of cabins several times) and the 123 all inclusive I would probably take the 123. Of course it is a better decision when you have a choice between the two.

I have to admit that I would always been suspicious about whether it was really an honest mistake, but the bottom line for me is that I would have a better deal than when I started by not having to pay the prevailing rate to get the 123 all inclusive.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jagoffee

I did NOT think that you were making a mountain out of a mole hill AT ALL! I am very particular on my cabin, and especially the balcony. If this had happened to me I would have been LIVID! Like you said, the time doing the research, etc and booking that far out, .....I book my cruise based on being able to get a cabin that I want! If I can not get a great balcony I am not booking that cruise.

Put me in the camp of those who did not find your reaction excessive and never thought you were making a mountain out of a molehill. Your response seemed pretty tempered to me. As someone who spends a lot of time researching cabins and who has been known to book particular cruises specifically because a desired cabin was available, I get it, especially because someone dear to you was upset by the situation. I hope all of you have a great trip notwithstanding this frustrating experience.

Kevin T Brown, JaneStarr, Chooz2cruz, Sloop-JohnB, excitedofharpenden, Eaglerocker, jagoffee and others who have recognized the situation for what it was, I thank you. I would love to connect and let you all know how it goes. It's a great pleasure to take this time and see my mother celebrate turning such a milestone, as she lost her husband and I my father at a young age, so we cherish every year, but this one is exciting.

I hope you all have a wonderful winter and get a chance to enjoy what we all love - floating on our homes at sea, whereever they may take us.

Cheers to all!!

Stacy :)

Edited by sc71

Kevin T Brown, JaneStarr, Chooz2cruz, Sloop-JohnB, excitedofharpenden, Eaglerocker, jagoffee and others who have recognized the situation for what it was, I thank you. I would love to connect and let you all know how it goes. It's a great pleasure to take this time and see my mother celebrate turning such a milestone, as she lost her husband and I my father at a young age, so we cherish every year, but this one is exciting.

I hope you all have a wonderful winter and get a chance to enjoy what we all love - floating on our homes at sea, whereever they may take us.

Cheers to all!!

Stacy :)

I just want to say that I think you and your Mom (since she raised you) are a class act. I think you have been wonderful during a stressful situation. Hope you both have the trip of a lifetime.

Actually most airlines do offer preassigned seating. Many smaller resorts and hotels also offer this.

The reason that larger hotels and resorts don't offer preassigned rooms is because people are checking in and out on different days and staying for different lengths of time so it's not feasible.

Honestly, if I couldn't prearrange what cabin I'm staying in on a cruise I would likely cruise less. While the cabin location and size of balcony may not be important to you, it is important to me.

Exactly. I for one will not fly on an airline where I can't choose my seat. The same goes for a cabin when I sail. I want to choose what suits my needs for the cruise I booked and I'd be mighty pi**ed if I was moved out of the cabin I chose.