Military Service medals at Formal nights

Sailaway John

Wow, it is really disheartening to see the turn this thread has taken. As the daughter of a WWII veteran I am shocked at some of the comments regarding those who have served and sacrificed for our country. The men and women of our military deserve our respect and gratitude and if they want to wear their hard earned medals as a a source of pride in their service and sacrifice, I am all for it. If I see them on the ship I would certainly not view it as boastful or a means of trying to display superiority, but as a way on a formal evening to share something meaningful and life defining. And I would be happy to thank them for their service. 

Whether you agree with every military decision made by our leaders throughout our long and sometimes unfortunate history, you cannot fault the men and women who served for those decisions. They stepped up and did what was asked of them and put themselves in harms way on behalf of all us who share US citizenship. To imply otherwise and ascribe all sorts of ulterior motives for the simple act of wearing a medal is disrespectful and ungrateful. 

Wear your medals and be proud of your service. And thank you from the daughter of a Navy Corpsman who served on the beaches of Iwo Jima.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Since you are female, I suggest a visit to the Women in Military Service to America Monument located near the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery. I earned few medals during my time in the Air Force Nurse Corp but if I saw you wearing your medals I would feel privileged to speak with you about your service.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Whether you agree with every military decision made by our leaders throughout our long and sometimes unfortunate history, you cannot fault the men and women who served for those decisions. They stepped up and did what was asked of them and put themselves in harms way on behalf of all us who share US citizenship.

Yes!

During the Iraq War, I had the one and only bumper sticker of my life on my vehicle: Oppose the war, but support the warrior. They don’t get to choose their battles. If you don’t like how the US has engaged with other countries, your beef is with elected politicians, not the boots on the ground. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
4 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I'm sorry, but if you went to all the trouble to pack a medal on a cruise and wear it for people whom you don't know to see, then sure it is.   That's exactly what it is, that's how it comes across.  Whether male or female.

Funny how military decorations are self promoting, yet other attire, all designed to make one stand out and impress is not.

What about those that wear kilts or other national costumes to show off their heritage.  

How about if they are active duty and wear their formal mess dress uniform is that also self promoting.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:02 PM, LCW said:

Resurrecting this topic....

I am cruising to Alaska over July 4th, an at sea day and likely a formal night (2nd night of cruise).  The VA is encouraging veteran's to where their medals - "On significant holidays", such as Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. 

I am considering wearing my miniature medals with my civilian formal attire. I normally wouldn't, but as the cruise is primarily in US waters, thinking it would be OK.  However, wondering how people will react, as I'm female.  I sometimes get people looking at me funny when I where my veteran's ball cap, and some ask if my husband is the veteran.  Even had a reporter at the WWII Memorial ask my husband if he was a vet, only to have her walk away when he said "no", ignoring me completely.  

What are your thoughts?  Ever seen a female vet where her medals? 

Absolutely wear them and have seen many UK vets both male and female wear them on cruises. I’d be more inclined to ask why not 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ldtr said:

I do not wear my military medals, but I will, on occasion, wear my Antarctic Service Medal that I earned as a civilian from the National Science Foundation (or the label pin that goes with the medal).

WHen were you in Antarctica???? 87-90!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Wow, it is really disheartening to see the turn this thread has taken. As the daughter of a WWII veteran I am shocked at some of the comments regarding those who have served and sacrificed for our country. The men and women of our military deserve our respect and gratitude and if they want to wear their hard earned medals as a a source of pride in their service and sacrifice, I am all for it. If I see them on the ship I would certainly not view it as boastful or a means of trying to display superiority, but as a way on a formal evening to share something meaningful and life defining. And I would be happy to thank them for their service. 

Whether you agree with every military decision made by our leaders throughout our long and sometimes unfortunate history, you cannot fault the men and women who served for those decisions. They stepped up and did what was asked of them and put themselves in harms way on behalf of all us who share US citizenship. To imply otherwise and ascribe all sorts of ulterior motives for the simple act of wearing a medal is disrespectful and ungrateful. 

Wear your medals and be proud of your service. And thank you from the daughter of a Navy Corpsman who served on the beaches of Iwo Jima.

Thank you 🙂 but we must remember, we take on oath, to uphold the constitution. One of those rights is the freedom of speech. As much as some of the things that are said burns me to the bone, I must say they have that right given to them by all the men and women that have fought and died for that right.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Since the question was asked....

I generally frown on wearing anything that is not egalitarian.  It's a cruise--you're with a bunch of people you don't know.  I'm not a fan of the different-colored medallions--and I'm not a fan of wearing medals.  I earned my medals running 5k and 10k, too, and after the race i would wear those; but I certainly wouldn't pack them on a cruise.   Second, people from other nationalities are on cruises.  Do they wear their medals, too?  People can earn their medals in pretty disgusting ways in other countries' militaries.  And arguably it happens in the U.S., too.   I'm not against people making fashion statements, but beat-the-Joneses is not one of them.   This falls in that category.

Egalitarian?  You spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to be waited on and cleaned up after by people from 3rd world nations and you don't like clothes that aren't egalitarian?  What type of clothes would those be exactly? 

Medals are not fashion statements. Neither are they political statements.  I don't need to beat the Jones because I AM a Jones  🙂 so I don't need to keep up with myself.   And I welcome other nationalities to where their uniforms and medals. They remind me of my shipmates who are no longer with us, of the camaraderie we shared and our joint sacrifices.  

My intent was to gauge whether wearing the medals is an appropriate way to recognize the Nation's birthday.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Just understand that there are plenty of people around the world that do not admire the fact that the USA has been involved in wars for about 225 years since it's inception in 1776.

I should worry more about my husband’s French heritage then, since they’ve been in many more wars for much longer than 225 years. And then there’s my own Greek background….too many wars to count 😉

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, LCW said:

WHen were you in Antarctica???? 87-90!

81-83. Early October through December on a Geophysics research project out of McMurdo.  Generally would spend November out on the sea ice living in tents between Ross island and the Strand Moraine.

Were you also at McMurdo? Since you mentioned shipmates in one of your posts were you part of  Operation Deep Freeze. 

Edited by ldtr

7 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Thank you!  Very well said!

4 hours ago, Moondogy said:

Thank you 🙂 but we must remember, we take on oath, to uphold the constitution. One of those rights is the freedom of speech. As much as some of the things that are said burns me to the bone, I must say they have that right given to them by all the men and women that have fought and died for that right.

Of course you are correct.  
But there is no need for others to be judgmental and ugly even if they have a right to be.   Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  (Not "you", Moondogy)
This is or should be a friendly forum for cruisers who want to share experiences and ideas.  

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ldtr said:

81-83. Early October through December on a Geophysics research project out of McMurdo.  Generally would spend November out on the sea ice living in tents between Ross island and the Strand Moraine.

Were you also at McMurdo? Since you mentioned shipmates in one of your posts were you part of  Operation Deep Freeze. 

Yes, although did make it to Vanda once.  

7 hours ago, suzyed said:

Of course you are correct.  
But there is no need for others to be judgmental and ugly even if they have a right to be.   Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  (Not "you", Moondogy)
This is or should be a friendly forum for cruisers who want to share experiences and ideas.  

Exactly.... having the right to do something doesn't make it a good idea.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 12:38 PM, tetleytea said:

I'm sorry, but if you went to all the trouble to pack a medal on a cruise and wear it for people whom you don't know to see, then sure it is.   That's exactly what it is, that's how it comes across.  Whether male or female.

I have no medals.  

There might be some confusion between wearing military decoration (or military anything) on formal night, ON VETERANS DAY, vs. just wearing it on formal night.   We honor mothers on mother's day, birthdays & anniversaries, etc..  I see nothing out of place by wearing anything military (or poppies) on Veterans Day.  The ship will even make a big Canada cake for Canada Day.  They'll honor Canadians on July 1st, and all they did was be Canadian.  

10 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

There might be some confusion between wearing military decoration (or military anything) on formal night, ON VETERANS DAY, vs. just wearing it on formal night.   We honor mothers on mother's day, birthdays & anniversaries, etc..  I see nothing out of place by wearing anything military (or poppies) on Veterans Day.  The ship will even make a big Canada cake for Canada Day.  They'll honor Canadians on July 1st, and all they did was be Canadian.  

I don't believe there's any confusion at all.  If a veteran wants to wear their medals on their dinner outfit, then good for them.  I am glad they are proud to display them.  I honored my mother every day of her life, not just Mother's Day.  I honor my wife every day of her life, not just our Anniversary and Mother's Day and her birthday.  I also honor all military veterans for their service every day as well.  For the record, I have a chest full of medals from my many years of service.  I don't wear them in public but that's my choice.  I honor those that do...or don't...that served!

• Like 2

Guest ldtr

Since this discussion is on the Princess portion of cruise critic.  And someone made comments that the reason anyone would were their medal were to impress others, I would just point out that Princess has changed their reference to formal nights.  It is now called "Dress to Impress"

Here is what it boils down to. If the military permits wearing era ed medals and/or ribbons on civilian clothes then do so. Who cares what others think as long as do not try to make a big issue of it or insult the person wearing them.

I am retired military and say wear what you see fit to wear as others will probably never see you again.

• Like 3

It's a nice idea, since regs allow it, and it's honoring military service.  My military service was as a Russian interpreter, and I always enjoyed seeing veterans on Victory Day wearing WWII medals on their suit coats, visiting war memorials, and dancing, a way for them to get respect. I'd probably just wear unique ones, things that could create conversation and reflect pride. It made me want to get out my own medals in a box, as well as a nice collection I have of Soviet WWII and Russian WWI medals. 

• Like 2