freedom of the Seas arrival is delayed

It does not look like FOS spent 2 days in Nassau to make repairs. So my question is did they do anything to fix the propulsion problems that has been talked about in this thread.

No, they just removed the blades of the prop to prevent further damage. My guess is the actual repair cannot be made until drydock next month.

This pic was taken by a member of a FB forum I belong to.

1503819_673515092769060_8382158084607250597_n.jpg?oh=109974b4805a79765c7f796beb5856c5&oe=550889E5&__gda__=1427168181_3263a87a6f355db7666e830f20c5e467

Edited by ryano

No, they just removed the blades of the prop to prevent further damage. My guess is the actual repair cannot be made until drydock next month.

1503819_673515092769060_8382158084607250597_n.jpg?oh=109974b4805a79765c7f796beb5856c5&oe=550889E5&__gda__=1427168181_3263a87a6f355db7666e830f20c5e467

Not sure if there would be any damage from leaving the blades in place, but if that pod is incapable of being powered/driven then the blades in place create TREMENDOUS drag. They'll be able to cruise a lot faster & more efficiently without the blades.

Not sure if there would be any damage from leaving the blades in place, but if that pod is incapable of being powered/driven then the blades in place create TREMENDOUS drag. They'll be able to cruise a lot faster & more efficiently without the blades.

I totally agree and I think you are the closest to the truth as to why they removed them. :) Someone on that forum that is on the ship posted it was to prevent further damage.

From my understanding, it was the center stationary pod that had the trouble.

Edited by ryano

I totally agree and I think you are the closest to the truth as to why they removed them. :) Someone on that forum that is on the ship posted it was to prevent further damage.

I can't say with authority that there would be no damage, but I CAN say with certainty that the drag and resulting loss of speed would be very significant. :)

There is a copy of the letter that people received on board that says the blades were removed to prevent further damage to the motor. Not sure if the letter is in this thread or one of the other Freedom threads but it is around here somewhere.:)

In addition to what Ellen posted they also stated that they were told by the Captain they would lose 4-5 knots of speed due to the propellers being removed. They said they were travelling at 16 knots. Her cruising speed is listed at 21.6 knots on the fact sheet.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

There is a copy of the letter that people received on board that says the blades were removed to prevent further damage to the motor. Not sure if the letter is in this thread or one of the other Freedom threads but it is around here somewhere.:)

To "prevent further damage" sounds much better in a letter than "we are doing this to reduce drag and save some fuel" :D :p:cool:

To "prevent further damage" sounds much better in a letter than "we are doing this to reduce drag and save some fuel" :D :p:cool:

True true - although... "we are doing this to reduce drag so we can maintain a higher speed that keeps us closer to our scheduled port arrival/departure times" would probably sound pretty good too! ;)

I can't say with authority that there would be no damage, but I CAN say with certainty that the drag and resulting loss of speed would be very significant. :)

If the issue is something like a bearing problem (which pods are notorious for) leaving the blades on can cause further damage. It doesn't matter if the internal parts are rotating from power to the pod or from the blades causing rotation as the ship moves through the water. The movement of the internal parts can cause damage. Locking the blades to prevent rotation greatly increases drag and fuel consumption. So the best option is to remove them.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Anyone else pick up on the fact that the blades are NOT from the same prop shaft? look at them, they turn in opposite directions... Hmmm... That adds to the mystery...

If the issue is something like a bearing problem (which pods are notorious for) leaving the blades on can cause further damage. It doesn't matter if the internal parts are rotating from power to the pod or from the blades causing rotation as the ship moves through the water. The movement of the internal parts can cause damage. Locking the blades to prevent rotation greatly increases drag and fuel consumption. So the best option is to remove them.

Good points all. Seems obvious that dragging blades would significantly increase fuel costs. These would certainly be passed on to passengers at some point. But it is very likely cheaper to remove the blades.

Additionally the blades would want to move, even if capable of being "locked" in place. This would create tremendous strain on the pods. I am a pilot. In a propeller driven airplane we "feather" the props if an engine fails to keep them from turning, not only creating tremendous drag, but also to prevent "turning the engine." A common problem in radial engines was the "underboost." It occurred when the prop turned the engine instead of the engine turning the prop. I suppose if the screw turned the pod on a cruise ship it could lead to tremendous damage.

So, likely they were removed with both economy and safety in mind. Imaging the locking mechanism (I would assume there is one) failing at sea.

Seems that this was a minor inconvenience, disappointing (we have 8 friends onboard), but not the worst cruise ever.

So, with the problem on the Freedom, will we be missing port? I called Royal and they told me no change, just wondering

It's all speculation right now. Your sailing will be the first full sailing since the blades on one of the propellers were removed. My guess is that if there is a change you won't find out about it until you are on board.

Looking at marine traffic as the freedom left Cozumel it showed she had a speed of 18.9 knots which is much better than what was reported on here. Not sure if that speed is 100% accurate though.

So, with the problem on the Freedom, will we be missing port? I called Royal and they told me no change, just wondering

Soneone on our roll call for Dec 7th is updating us there. He is currently on the ship, staying on for a back to back. Word from him is that we will still visit all the ports, with possible time adjustments. They are running on time to reach Port Canaveral tomorrow morning. Yay!!! I am just happy to be getting onto the ship :)