How much is too much?

kruisey

Cruise workers have to pay for their transportation to the ship, any visas or work permits and medical or legal permits. At the completion of a contract, the line will often pay for a flight home but this is not always the case.

Not correct....

Princess pays the crewmembers travel costs to and from their vessel.

Princess pays for any required certificates/classes ie(first aid,fire fighting etc)

Most of these employees have families back home that they are supporting. It is not just for them.

Also - I am guessing if you want to work 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9-10 months at a time, you can probably come up with an extra $900 a month. Honestly, there are not many Americans (including myself) that are willing to work their hours and being treated poorly by many (we have all witnessed this) for the wage that they get. Heck, even if I am treated well, I don't want those hours.

Oh yes, there are many Americans, like me. And I have met many people along the way who faced similar economic devastation. Divorced many years ago, two small children, no job, no child support. It took a job, a second business, additional education, massive budgeting skills, and NO sleep to raise my children on my own. And now, it has all paid off, in spades.

You say you are not willing, but if the situation arose, I bet you would be willing to do whatever it takes, especially when it comes to supporting your family. (as they do)

There are probably not many people in the countries that the crew members come from that are willing to do what they do. I am coming from a unique perspective. Listen, I am not saying that their life is cushy, especially compared to those of us who cruise regularly. We all know it's not. But life is not cushy for many, many people. Spread the wealth, if you can.

Oh yes, there are many Americans, like me. And I have met many people along the way who faced similar economic devastation. Divorced many years ago, two small children, no job, no child support. It took a job, a second business, additional education, massive budgeting skills, and NO sleep to raise my children on my own. And now, it has all paid off, in spades.

You say you are not willing, but if the situation arose, I bet you would be willing to do whatever it takes, especially when it comes to supporting your family. (as they do)

I have worked multiple jobs while taking care of family and while going to college. But I did not work 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9-10 months with out a day off for $900 a month total. And doing this while being away from the family for those 9-10 months.

NCL tried to hire an American crew for their ships in Hawaii. It didn't work and was a disaster as they could not find Americans who would do equivalent work as the cruise industry is used to.

If you look at the cost of the American cruise lines who employe Americans, you will see that their costs (wages, taxes) are quite a bit higher.

Edited by Coral

Most of these employees have families back home that they are supporting. It is not just for them.

Also - I am guessing if you want to work 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9-10 months at a time, you can probably come up with an extra $900 a month. Honestly, there are not many Americans (including myself) that are willing to work their hours and being treated poorly by many (we have all witnessed this) for the wage that they get. Heck, even if I am treated well, I don't want those hours.

We really need a "LIKE" button!

As stated earlier, a "decent living wage" means totally difference things in various countries.....a quick google search will show you how wide-ranging average wages are around the world. So, compare that to the home countries of ship-board crew, and for some (compared to back home) they make a lot of money. This is especially true if not paying room, board or taxes.

How true...for them it is quite often a lot of money or why would they take the job and continue to return contract after contract.

We have been told by wait-staff more than once they make so much more money working on the cruise ship than they do at home so being away from family for the money they are making is something they do not hesitate to do.

Maybe we are alone in our thoughts but when we cruise we expect excellent service from everyone and thus feel the auto-tip is warranted. The fees for specialty dining for that extra above and beyond service and above MDR standard food is willingly paid. Additional tips are for additional service above and beyond what is expected.

No one should ever feel they should or should not give additional tips - this is a personal choice each of us makes.

Edited by BJS

For myself, a "tip" is a choice and a choice that each patron makes. I choose to auto tip and extra tip for special service.

This is not about the employee's salary, not about cost of living in another country, and not about the auto tip program. It is about my choice and your choice.

I am not especially wealthy but compared to many other people around the world I am financially blessed. It is my moral compass to share from time to time, even if I am on a budget.

Happy Cruising

For myself, a "tip" is a choice and a choice that each patron makes. I choose to auto tip and extra tip for special service.

This is not about the employee's salary, not about cost of living in another country, and not about the auto tip program. It is about my choice and your choice.

I am not especially wealthy but compared to many other people around the world I am financially blessed. It is my moral compass to share from time to time, even if I am on a budget.

Nicely put!:o

It's incredible how this gets lost in all of the static. A person's daily tip on a land based vacation would far exceed the auto tip amount.

Breakfast in a restaurant or room service: $10. Tip=$2.00

Lunch in a restaurant: $20. Tip=$3.50

Dinner in a restaurant: $40. Tip=$7.00

Chamber Maid: Tip=$3.00-$5.00

Bartenders: Princess adds 15% to all drinks, but on land you are likely to round up to a whole dollar figure and drive your tip up to closer to 20%. So we'll just add $2.00 additional dollars here.

So we are up to $17.50-$19.50 per day and we haven't tipped bellmen, concierges, sommeliers, pool attendants or any number of other people.

Finally someone puts this all in perspective. We could also look at it this way... the cruise line could roll the tips per day into the cost of the fare.

Do not think there is a true answer to the question asked.

I only asked because for the first time 3 folks at my dinner table told me that I was encouraging extra tipping above the auto tip to be normal.That they never gave above it

Edited by kruisey

I have seen many misconceptions on this thread, and want to clear up some of them.

Crew members are covered by a union although weak, they still have rules.

The length of their contracts depend on the country they come from and their position with the company, and many are different. Most are 9 months or less. Their work hours are supposed to be 70 hours per week and most cruise lines grant them additional time off if they get good reports from the guests. Wages vary with their position and may be different depending on the cruise line they work for.

If they complete their contract, the cruise line pays their fare home, and pays for their return when they sign a new contract. If they don't complete their contract or get fired, they are on their own to get home.

If contract violations occur it is up to the individual to file a grievance. If they are afraid or choose not to complain, that weakens their union even more than it is.

Now back to the tips and wages. Many are happy with the income they receive and return year after year. Some don't like it and they don't return.

Tipping is a personal choice, and you can tip more or less than the basic, but shouldn't feel better or worse because of the choice you make.

Edited by swedish weave

Do not think there is a true answer to the question asked.

I only asked because for the first time 3 folks at my dinner table told me that I was encouraging extra tipping above the auto tip to be normal.That they never gave above it

Well there you have it Kruisey. You were showing them up and they didn't like it. If you can afford to tip beyond the auto tip and you feel the staff are deserving don't worry about what others have to say or do.

Well there you have it Kruisey. You were showing them up and they didn't like it. If you can afford to tip beyond the auto tip and you feel the staff are deserving don't worry about what others have to say or do.

Sounds about right.

• 3 weeks later...

I am likely to get flamed here, but here goes.............

I tip extra the first day off the cruise to our cabin steward, our Waiter and our assistant waiter. Usually $50 each.

Here's why. I believe in the definition of TIPS. To. Insure. Prompt. Service.

We are on vacation and I want my wife to mainly hear "yes" instead of anything else. When we first board and are taken to our cabin I shake the cabin stewards hand, hand him the $50 bill and introduce him to my wife by saying "She is looking forward to a wonderful vacation." Nothing else.

Same with the waiter in TD.

For the assistant waiter, I do the same after dinner as I know he is the one who will be lugging my 3-4 entrees a night up the stairs from the kitchens. I know, and then he knows, he will be working for it.

Similarly with whoever becomes my fav. bartender. If it is at the pool or on the fantail, or sometimes also outside the dining room, I tip an extra $20 the first day and I NEVER wait for a drink when I approach or am at that bar, ever.

Not bribes, TIPS. Has always worked for me.

We are on vacation and I want my wife to mainly hear "yes" instead of anything else. When we first board and are taken to our cabin I shake the cabin stewards hand, hand him the $50 bill and introduce him to my wife by saying "She is looking forward to a wonderful vacation." Nothing else.

You have a lucky wife. :)

The only thing I'll flame you for is the definition of the word "tip". It is not an acronym for "to insure promptness" or anything else for that matter. The word dates back to at least the 17th C, and acronyms are a 20th C invention. 2 minutes of research will quickly disprove the urban myth.

We don't bribe stewart or the wait staff.

If they earn/deserve extra they get it at the end if the cruise.

I feel the same way & if it takes a bribe to get great service then I'll take my business elsewhere. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yep, I knew that post would cause a stir. No worries here, call it what you will, while others debate on whether to keep their auto-grats on or not, or IF they will get good service, we have been on a few cruises and have yet to ever be disappointed. Did the extra $$ upfront influence that? I hope so! The result? Many happy cruises with great memories, great service and no regrets!

Edited by guardhouse

Yep, I knew that post would cause a stir. No worries here, call it what you will, while others debate on whether to keep their auto-grats on or not, or IF they will get good service, we have been on a few cruises and have yet to ever be disappointed. Did the extra $$ upfront influence that? I hope so! The result? Many happy cruises with great memories, great service and no regrets!

I always keep my auto grats on. That is completely separate from tipping extra. Don't confuse the two issues. I tip extra when I receive good service. Just pointing out that you are operating under false pretenses. But you're happy and wife is happy; so be it.

I would bet that I have had just as good service.

Oh by the way, I have been on a few cruises too.