We had an easy walk to our ship!!

gotta cruise again

I had previously seen questions about walking from hotel to the ship in Fort Lauderdale. All replies stated something like "why, when taxi's are abundant and not expensive?".

So I took that sage advice to heart and we planned on taking a cab from Embassy Suites (17th street) in Fort Lauderdale to pier #2, off Eisenhower street, to board the Regal Princess on 12/14.

However, we were out and about the evening of 12/13 to eat and buy a few things. So we walked from the Embassy to the Walgreens. It was a safe and easy walk. As the Walgreens is on the corner of 17th and Eisenhower, we walked down to the port gate and inquired about the possibility of getting onto the port property if we walked to the ship on 12/14. The guard said not a problem and to just stay on the sidewalk: a guard would be there to check our passport and boarding pass (it's the sidewalk closest to the conference center, on the side of Eisenhower opposite of Walgreens).

We timed our walk back from the guard gate to the lobby of Embassy Suites. We weren't carrying more than a small, light-weight bag from Walgreens; it was fairly late so we didn't have a leisurely stroll back but we weren't running either. It was only 12 minutes!

The next day, we each rolled a suitcase with a carry-on placed on top of each suitcase. The cases had the 4 wheels so we didn't always have to pull it. The sidewalks were pretty smooth and level but there were a number of places where I slowed down to roll across rough places carefully.

The stop at the guard took only a few seconds. The slowest part of the "trip" was to come because once on port property, we knew where the Regal was but really couldn't see how to get there!

Here's how: after passing the guard on the sidewalk, go to the traffic light a short distance ahead and turn left. Stay on the left-hand sidewalk (you are already on that sidewalk) and keep walking basically straight ahead (slight bends as you curve to use the sidewalk ramps for the wheels and because the driveway the walk follows has curves). You won't go through the payment booths for parking! The sidewalk ends up under the parking garage where the busses and taxis (and likely private cars) are dropping/picking up passengers.

Once "inside" the parking garage, watch for officers/security helping you cross--very helpful! Keep going straight until you get to the terminal but before you go up to the area where people are in line, take a left and inquire about dropping off your luggage with the porters. We only gave $1/bag since the porter didn't take it out of a car and we also mentioned we had just walked there from our hotel (just to add the extra point that we handled our bags far more than the porter is going to!).

Now 'new-to-Princess' folks can get in line on the porch of the terminal. We had Priority Boarding so we skipped the line and walked up to the lane for Priority. We later heard from others that they had to stand in the line even though they too were Priority so you might go on and try before waiting in the line.

For us (in our late 50's) it took about 30 minutes from lobby to turning in the luggage but a few of those minutes were spent asking for directions from the folks in the payment booths and then we turned to the right once we got to the terminal instead of to the left.

Weather was quite pleasant; a good bit of shade along the walk; didn't have to cross 17th street. We were glad to get the good walk and exercise in before the cruise. We'll do it again!

And here is the post script: after returning on 12/21, we collected our 1 suitcase (we used EZ Check for the larger one) and walked back to the Embassy Suites after disembarking!! Again, an easy walk and glad to have the post-cruise exercise.

Hope this information is helpful. As there are hotels between the Embassy Suites and the Eisenhower port entrance and others nearby, this info would basically work for others wanting to walk. Just be certain YOUR ship is in a location within the port that is actually walkable--and do this BEFORE you set out the morning of your cruise!

Great post. Glad you guys are in such good shape and had such a good experience.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn express - very close to Walgreens pre and post cruise. Our taxi took many turns after passing Walgreens going to the carnival port. In August the port appeared to be under construction and very confusing. I would not even attempt to walk that.

So be warned if you are cruising carnival and intend on walking.

Glad it worked out for you.

I would not do it beyond the first couple of terminals.

And for most people I would not recommend it for many reasons including safety and health.

Keith

In addition, the temps in FLL have been quite pleasant the last month or so (downright cold at times) and walking has been enjoyable (I do 2 miles every morning). Come summer I would never recommend that walk for someone dragging a suitcase. You'll be wiped out before you get to terminal 2 or 4. The weather is tropical (hot and humid) and that walk with lots of blacktop around (and car exhaust on 17th Street) could be brutal.

Thanks for the info, have walked to the ship both in San Francisco and San Diego.

I have sailed out of both San Francisco and San Diego, both of which hold a maximum of two ships.

Port Everglades has 12 cruise terminals, quite a bit bigger and more spread out!

Very good of you to post this for others who feel like they're fit to do it.

But this is not as easy for all the cruise lines - word of warning.

For the $10 cab fare ($5 per person or $2.50 if there are 4 of you), I will be starting my cruise vacation as relaxed as possible.:)

Very good of you to post this for others who feel like they're fit to do it.

But this is not as easy for all the cruise lines - word of warning.

For the $10 cab fare ($5 per person or $2.50 if there are 4 of you), I will be starting my cruise vacation as relaxed as possible.:)

Traffic lines to get through security were hellish 2 weekends ago around noon when we went. We live 8 miles from the port and it took us as long to get through the line as it did to get there....So on weekends in the winter, you need to boost your taxi budget (add about $10 more). This was the Eisenhower/17th St. entrance.

• 7 months later...
I had previously seen questions about walking from hotel to the ship in Fort Lauderdale. All replies stated something like "why, when taxi's are abundant and not expensive?".

So I took that sage advice to heart and we planned on taking a cab from Embassy Suites (17th street) in Fort Lauderdale to pier #2, off Eisenhower street, to board the Regal Princess on 12/14.

However, we were out and about the evening of 12/13 to eat and buy a few things. So we walked from the Embassy to the Walgreens. It was a safe and easy walk. As the Walgreens is on the corner of 17th and Eisenhower, we walked down to the port gate and inquired about the possibility of getting onto the port property if we walked to the ship on 12/14. The guard said not a problem and to just stay on the sidewalk: a guard would be there to check our passport and boarding pass (it's the sidewalk closest to the conference center, on the side of Eisenhower opposite of Walgreens).

We timed our walk back from the guard gate to the lobby of Embassy Suites. We weren't carrying more than a small, light-weight bag from Walgreens; it was fairly late so we didn't have a leisurely stroll back but we weren't running either. It was only 12 minutes!

The next day, we each rolled a suitcase with a carry-on placed on top of each suitcase. The cases had the 4 wheels so we didn't always have to pull it. The sidewalks were pretty smooth and level but there were a number of places where I slowed down to roll across rough places carefully.

The stop at the guard took only a few seconds. The slowest part of the "trip" was to come because once on port property, we knew where the Regal was but really couldn't see how to get there!

Here's how: after passing the guard on the sidewalk, go to the traffic light a short distance ahead and turn left. Stay on the left-hand sidewalk (you are already on that sidewalk) and keep walking basically straight ahead (slight bends as you curve to use the sidewalk ramps for the wheels and because the driveway the walk follows has curves). You won't go through the payment booths for parking! The sidewalk ends up under the parking garage where the busses and taxis (and likely private cars) are dropping/picking up passengers.

Once "inside" the parking garage, watch for officers/security helping you cross--very helpful! Keep going straight until you get to the terminal but before you go up to the area where people are in line, take a left and inquire about dropping off your luggage with the porters. We only gave $1/bag since the porter didn't take it out of a car and we also mentioned we had just walked there from our hotel (just to add the extra point that we handled our bags far more than the porter is going to!).

Now 'new-to-Princess' folks can get in line on the porch of the terminal. We had Priority Boarding so we skipped the line and walked up to the lane for Priority. We later heard from others that they had to stand in the line even though they too were Priority so you might go on and try before waiting in the line.

For us (in our late 50's) it took about 30 minutes from lobby to turning in the luggage but a few of those minutes were spent asking for directions from the folks in the payment booths and then we turned to the right once we got to the terminal instead of to the left.

Weather was quite pleasant; a good bit of shade along the walk; didn't have to cross 17th street. We were glad to get the good walk and exercise in before the cruise. We'll do it again!

And here is the post script: after returning on 12/21, we collected our 1 suitcase (we used EZ Check for the larger one) and walked back to the Embassy Suites after disembarking!! Again, an easy walk and glad to have the post-cruise exercise.

Hope this information is helpful. As there are hotels between the Embassy Suites and the Eisenhower port entrance and others nearby, this info would basically work for others wanting to walk. Just be certain YOUR ship is in a location within the port that is actually walkable--and do this BEFORE you set out the morning of your cruise!

Yay walkers!!! My husband and I love to walk so we really appreciate your information. We agree that it is a great way to get exercise and feel good before setting sail.

We will be going on a Celebrity cruise in February, and from what we can tell, our ship will be departing from terminal 22 (or maybe 18?). Anyway, do you think this is walkable? We've looked at google maps and it doesn't seem too bad - we plan to leave in plenty of time and enjoy the challenge!

Thanks so much!

We've walked out from Cruise Terminal #4 a couple of years ago (Celebrity Century) to the Renaissance Hotel on 17th street. No problems at all. It only works for Cruise Terminals 1,2 and 4. (#2 is Princesses main docking area). All other Terminals you will need a taxi!!

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/MEDIA/Port-Map-REVISED-Jan-2015.pdf

We used the same "reverse route" as gca. Seems like it was less than 20 minutes, as the Renaissance is right across the street from the Walgreens on the Corner of Eisenhower and 17th street.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We will be going on a Celebrity cruise in February, and from what we can tell, our ship will be departing from terminal 22 (or maybe 18?). Anyway, do you think this is walkable? We've looked at google maps and it doesn't seem too bad - we plan to leave in plenty of time and enjoy the challenge!

Thanks so much!

It only works for Cruise Terminals 1,2 and 4. (#2 is Princesses main docking area). All other Terminals you will need a taxi!!

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/MEDIA/Port-Map-REVISED-Jan-2015.pdf

Terminal 18 is the Oasis/Allure of the Seas dock; unless your X cruise is on a weekday with more than two RC/X ships in port it won't be there. You could easily be at terminal 25 or 29 which are definitely not walkable. There are no sidewalks on Eisenhower Blvd so unless rolling your suitcases in the street dodging cargo trailers and oil tankers is your idea of a pleasant walk, you absolutely need a taxi.

Yay walkers!!! My husband and I love to walk so we really appreciate your information. We agree that it is a great way to get exercise and feel good before setting sail.

Thanks so much!

I don't consider the walk to terminal 18 or 22 from any hotel walkable.

Thanks so much!

No, it isn't advisable.

I would think you lost about half the usable life of your luggage wheels during that jaunt. Really not designed for concrete :eek:

As always YMMV

Good point!

I have no idea about terminals 18 or 22 but we did a "reconnaissance" walk the evening prior to make sure our walk (I'm the OP) was doable.

I'd take the advice from all who have said "don't do it!!" but if you are determined, then a pre-walk the day before would be mandatory (IMHO).

Speaking of walking...we sail out of Seattle this Saturday and will be dropping off our rent car nearby; then Enterprise will take us to the ship (for free!...or the cost of the rental) anyway: depending on how the morning goes, we may drop the bags at the pier, then drop the car, then walk back to the ship!! Weather has to be factored in also, of course. We like to walk so we can work of the embarkation MDR lunch--LOL!

I have no idea about terminals 18 or 22 but we did a "reconnaissance" walk the evening prior to make sure our walk (I'm the OP) was doable.

I'd take the advice from all who have said "don't do it!!" but if you are determined, then a pre-walk the day before would be mandatory (IMHO).

Speaking of walking...we sail out of Seattle this Saturday and will be dropping off our rent car nearby; then Enterprise will take us to the ship (for free!...or the cost of the rental) anyway: depending on how the morning goes, we may drop the bags at the pier, then drop the car, then walk back to the ship!! Weather has to be factored in also, of course. We like to walk so we can work of the embarkation MDR lunch--LOL!

Dropping off luggage sounds like a goog idea. Heck I used to do that when we used shuttles from the hotel. Less hectic when you get dropped off

Second OP idea of walking. Yes taxi are plentiful, but we do 6 miles a day in the gym, so what's a little 30 minute walk!!. Have seen taxis wait 20 minutes to just make it thru gate. We have walked to all the Port Everglades terminals. Even on turn around day to pick things up from Publix.

Second OP idea of walking. Yes taxi are plentiful, but we do 6 miles a day in the gym, so what's a little 30 minute walk!!. Have seen taxis wait 20 minutes to just make it thru gate. We have walked to all the Port Everglades terminals. Even on turn around day to pick things up from Publix.

Port Everglades is not just a cruise ship terminal, it is a working port.

That is great y'all walk six miles a day at the gym but at the port there are no sidewalks and you are dodging heavy equipment, semis, tractor trailers, and tons of industrial equipment.

There are a couple of terminals that you can walk to be the majority of them you cannot.

Port Everglades is not just a cruise ship terminal, it is a working port.

That is great y'all walk six miles a day at the gym but at the port there are no sidewalks and you are dodging heavy equipment, semis, tractor trailers, and tons of industrial equipment.

There are a couple of terminals that you can walk to be the majority of them you cannot.

My thoughts exactly. Very unsafe thing to do. But if it makes you happy to not have to pay for a cab, then give the porter only $1 a bag, do it!

Traffic around the Bell Street Pier (NCL) can get pretty nuts especially if a train comes through. You may not want to fight through it twice (coming and going). Have Enterprise drop you off (maybe even a couple of blocks away), drop off your bags and then walk around the waterfront or up to Pike Place Market.

Enjoy your cruise!