Photos - Avalon Vista Christmas Market cruise December 2014

Hoyaheel

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/pilotdane2/library/2014/Europe%20Christmas/Kellys%20Europe?sort=3&page=1

I haven't yet written a review for Cruise Critic (I should try to do it, but my problem is that I didn't love the river cruise aspect of vacation so trying to separate my feelings from the objective fact that it was a very good cruise has been hard for me to write up :o)

Anyway- my husband had posted all his beer photos on photobucket but I finally got him to put some of the other photos online - Christmas markets, a few of the cabin on Avalon Vista etc.

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/pilotdane2/library/2014/Europe%20Christmas/Kellys%20Europe?sort=3&page=1

I haven't yet written a review for Cruise Critic (I should try to do it, but my problem is that I didn't love the river cruise aspect of vacation so trying to separate my feelings from the objective fact that it was a very good cruise has been hard for me to write up :o)

We would love to read why you did not like River cruising. We have not tried it because it does not seem a good fit for us either. Would really be interested to read a review from someone who is not a cheer leader for river cruising.

Your hubby sure looked happy with his beer🍺 I agree rivercruises are not for everyone. I'm guessing you prefer more independent experiences based on your previous posts on your traveling style

Edited by Got2Cruise

I'm guessing you prefer more independent experiences based on your previous posts on your traveling style

Yes, that's absolutely it. We've taken ocean cruises to get an overview of areas we've never visited, to see where we might want to spend more time. My husband had wanted to go on a river cruise in Germany and drink beer and I love Christmas Markets.

The boat was wonderful - we loved the cabin layout and size. The crew was wonderful and helpful and cheerful. The food was good (I'm not a picky eater - I crave variety - and I found enough of "interest" to keep me happy) The towns were lovely and I really enjoyed the Christmas markets. But a river cruise is expensive because of the many things it includes, and I just didn't want to be submitted to a bus transfer and tour every day because I'd already paid for it. But because I'd already paid for it - I did. So we had absolutely no problems with the vacation (other than 5 of the 6 of us getting sick - I'm the only one who stayed healthy:rolleyes:) It just wasn't the kind of trip I want to do again in a hurry. Except maybe in the Mekong, because that's still an area where I would have a hard time doing everything I want on my own. But Europe - on my own, from now on:D

Hello,

Yes, that's absolutely it. We've taken ocean cruises to get an overview of areas we've never visited, to see where we might want to spend more time. My husband had wanted to go on a river cruise in Germany and drink beer and I love Christmas Markets.

It just wasn't the kind of trip I want to do again in a hurry. Except maybe in the Mekong, because that's still an area where I would have a hard time doing everything I want on my own. But Europe - on my own, from now on:D

Thank you for your perspective on the river cruise experience. And yes, Europe is easy to explore on your own. To give your husband a bit of that cruising experience on a future land trip you could look out for places in Europe with lots of beer brewing and a largish river close by. Where there is a river (or North or Baltic Sea) there is usually a river boat company offering day trips. :)

Save travels.

notamermaid

After a miserable rainy day yesterday it is bright and sunny in the Rhine valley today with the higher hills covered in snow. Temperatures just above zero.

Yes, husband always enjoys seeing boats - Amsterdam, Istanbul:D Even Shanghai! :D

I'm not sorry we did the trip, but there are so many other places I want to visit (we don't have to be on water, really, and we won't always be!) And if there is beer, we'll drink it, but that's not a prerequisite for a trip either. Though I really want to take him to Belgium (I studied in Belgium for a year when I was in college - that's where I learned to drink good beer :p)

Husband has been trying to get me on a Norway fjord trip (the Hurtigruten ferry) for many years - and he started talking about it again because on Avalon we ate with a woman who had just done the Norway trip before she got on the river cruise. She gave a rave review, so now husband is thinking thinking thinking :p

Hoyaheel, when you go on the Mekong, take a good look at Avalon. We did it in Feb---really wonderful. Boat capacity is 32 we had 19. We started in Saigon, so that the majesty of Ankor Wat would be our last stop. The beer is really good in Vietnam.:D Pat

I doubt we'll visit the Mekong for a while - my husband is at a stage in his career where long trips aren't a good idea, and the trip I'd like to do would be more than a week:( But we did enjoy Avalon so I would definitely recommend them as a company and if/when we do an Asian trip, I would consider them!

I did write a brief review and CC just published it:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=268791

Thanks for a great comprehensive review of your cruise.

I'm glad you and your husband had some good opportunities to sit and relax onshore with a good German beer. As much as I like excursions it's nice to sit and unwind, maybe meet some locals and be on your own schedule. A break from ship food is always welcome.

Thanks for sharing. I've never been on a River Cruise but this board is a great resource for the curious.

Norris

Thanks for a terrific review! I appreciated your comments, good and bad.

Can you tell me if you would skip the Mechanical Museum if you had the chance to do it again? We've already planned a lot of our own tours aside from Avalon in many of the ports (we hate to be herded along with the group), so I'm wondering if we might do better to let the group do the Mech. Museum and we walk off on our own. What do you think?

Thanks for the help! ;)

Siegried's Mechanical Museum was a hoot! I would not skip it. Whether you go with the ship group or on your own you will be part of a guided tour through the museum, since you aren't allowed to operate the instruments.

If it was a nice day I would choose to take the sky ride or whatever you call it up to the vineyards in Rudesheim. The museum is a cute novelty. Don't miss the opportunity for the Rudesheim coffee that Avalon offers at a restaurant though. 😉

I could have skipped the mechanical instruments museum, but my husband and my in-laws love it. Not sure about my mom and her husband - I think he liked it but my mom probably could take it or leave it. The men are all engineers and my MIL just liked the dolls ;-) It wasn't a long tour, and it was interesting, and we were in town all day so it's not like I had anything else to do ;-) We walked a circle of the Christmas markets 4 times and down along the river front twice and up through the more commercial part of town in the time we were there.....

If it had been a nicer day, I would have walked up the vineyard trail!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thanks to Hoyaheel, Got2Cruise, Host Jazzbeau and Caviargirl for the info. on the mechanical museum. I think we'll stick with that tour and then go out on our own.

Okay - so from what I understand, they offer the German Dinner in Rudesheim. Is that worth the 59E per person or would we do better going off on our own? Is there some form of entertainment with it? Do you walk to it?