Phantom of the Opera music on board?

Susie51

When we were on the Prinsendam, the Adagio were very talented and played music from Phantaom and several other musicals as well as more classical stuff. They were very good. That's the only time I have noticed that music on board.

Do yourself a BIG favour....

Get yourself an ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING. The original cast is the best. Some other artists did beautiful work as well, but best to learn and enjoy from the original.

I agree. We bought the original cast recording years ago and still love listening to it once in a while.

It has been our experience that most of the musicians in the Piano Bar will know several pieces from the Broadway show.

Agreed. You can also ask the musicians in the Ocean Bar to play some of the selections; it's probable they know the more oft-played ones.

It has been our experience that most of the musicians in the Piano Bar will know several pieces from the Broadway show.

Provided, of course, that they actually have any kind of Broadway repertoire. I've run into a couple of HAL piano bar musicians where that wouldn't necessarily apply.

It is very costly to do the whole show. Even high school drama groups have to come up with money for the rights Disney can get away with some of the shows that they own. Even still no photos, videos or reproductions.

If you're lucky, you may end up being booked on a sailing where Dale Kristien, the "Christine" who succeeded Sarah Brightman, winds up being one of the guest entertainers. She was on my Noordam sailing last year, and most of her show consisted of "Phantom" songs.

We do not except that we are going to get the performance of a major show, but we have enjoyed the performances whenever we have heard them on any ship that has performed the songs. They try very hard to please the audiences with their performances. That is our opinion.

Edited by boards

If you're lucky, you may end up being booked on a sailing where Dale Kristien, the "Christine" who succeeded Sarah Brightman, winds up being one of the guest entertainers. She was on my Noordam sailing last year, and most of her show consisted of "Phantom" songs.

I think we saw her perform on a cruise --- amazing, and one of my best cruise memories!

Way back in 'when'..... I had heard a musical 'Phantom' but had no heard the music or even the story. My sister gave a copy tape cassette. I liked the music and the lyrics. Didn't seem to make much sense, but was very enjoyable. Months later Kath have me another copy cassette.... "Here is the Act 1." WHAT! I had no idea that all I been listening was Act 2!!!!!! :o

I wonder what entertainment will be like in the future on board cruise ships? A lot of the music in the shows are recorded and the some singers are just dancing in tune. What if.....

One future day..... lazer images.... where we can see a whole company of actors/singers and musicians that will be able to see a show that will look like a real stage on Broadway. You could see all the latest shows! I'm sure a lot of people don't live near a theatre or opera house.... chance to see in 'Theatre at Sea'! OK.... tickets at a price.... but it would be worthwhile.

Yes? No? Broadway shows! New York City Lincoln Center! London Royal Opera House! Matinee and two shows a night! Imagine....

Thank you for your replies.

The only time I saw Phantom of the Oprah in a theater was in London at Her Majesty's Theater in Aug. 1997. I didn't keep the program from the performance. Were any of those actor/singers members of the original cast?

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The seating arrangement of that old theater made me feel like I was a part of the production.

I just finished watching Phantom of the Opera and I love the music. Is there any place on any ship that has this music?

Is there a Broadway Musical theme cruise?

Thanks for your help.

Just a heads up: In the cast production show "Bob Mackie's Broadway" the tenor performs:

"Sing once again with me our strange duet

My power over you grows stronger yet

And though you turn from me to glance behind

The Phantom of the Opera is there

Inside your mind"

Thank you for your replies.

The only time I saw Phantom of the Oprah in a theater was in London at Her Majesty's Theater in Aug. 1997. I didn't keep the program from the performance. Were any of those actor/singers members of the original cast?

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The seating arrangement of that old theater made me feel like I was a part of the production.

Likewise in London about the same time. Walked in try to get a ticket. Packed. Gave up and a tout came up and offered a ticket. OK about 60 pounds but I had a good seat and was there in ten minutes.

The cast were not the original cast. There are TWO recordings... one of the ORIGINAL CAST and one of ORIGINAL LONDON CAST. Go for ORIGINAL CAST.

When I was young, broke and living in So Cal, I would take my girlfriend to see Phantom in Los Angeles. We would pull a "second act trick" and just walk in with the crowds when they returned from intermission. Got to see an hour of Phantom before going to a dive bar later. Did this about 5x

I just finished watching Phantom of the Opera and I love the music. Is there any place on any ship that has this music?

Is there a Broadway Musical theme cruise?

Thanks for your help.

You missed the Phantom of the Opera and Annie, but if you are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, you can catch the national touring company of the Lion King this month at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. As a venue, the Broward Center puts Broadway theaters to shame. The rest of the season has Motown the Musical, Pippin, and Anything Goes.

http://fortlauderdale.broadway.com/venues/theaters/broward-center-performing-arts/schedule/

We got off the Nieuw Amsterdam in November and caught the matinee of the Phantom that afternoon.

Edited by POA1

• 2 months later...
There used to be 1 evening Broadway show years ago that played a tiny bit of Phantom of the Opera -- maybe about 2 minutes worth. But that is long gone.

Otherwise -- you won't hear it anywhere on the ship.

Just returned from the Veendam to Mexico, two best shows were the Encore, where the lead singers did a wonderful job of singing all sorts of classics. Also Bob Mackie's Broadway, which of course included a tenor solo from the Phantom.